Front mont intercooler?

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Forever-Fiero

Front mont intercooler?

Post by Forever-Fiero »

I was watching the HP TV seg. that fidenza has on there site. The one were thay put on the remote mount turbo setup. They say there's only a 1 psi lose with all that piping and it makes the intercooler 90% efficient! That makes good sense. Oh and thay ran the MAS after the turbo with no bad effects on the reading's. This also the use of a external BOV. Wouldn't it be perfect for a Fiero? And has it been done before??

Gut so there's no confection. This would be running the piping from the turbo at the rear to the front to a intercooler then back to the rear and in the mass then intake. :thumbleft:
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I think you could be sold sand, in the desert.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Nothing wrong with having a MAF after the turbo. That's actually a good place to have it because the charge pipe diameter is smaller and you don't need such a big MAF housing to flow enough. You DO, however, need ACCURATE IAT sensing to run a boosted engine well. Setting up the MAF post-turbo helps with that also.

The problem with using a MAF in a turbo system is that the BOV can vent metered air and cause a rich spike (and accompanying stumble) when the BOV actuates.

Where would you run the charge piping under a Fiero in order to run a front mount air/air intercooler?
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: The problem with using a MAF in a turbo system is that the BOV can vent metered air and cause a rich spike (and accompanying stumble) when the BOV actuates.
This is how my car is setup, the MAF is between the intercooler and the throttle body. To minimize the rich BOV condition, it helps to put the BOV before the MAF sensor. It will still vent some metered air, but less.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

There would be a bit more lag but it could be done. It would also make a BOV less effective, there is a lot more air to vent off.

The practical way of intercooling a mid engine is an air/water intercooler. Its also easier to run small diameter water lines instead of large diameter air charge pipes.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

pull the muffler and put an a/a unit there like I did. Works fairly well. Gets decent airflow.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

crzyone wrote:It would also make a BOV less effective, there is a lot more air to vent off.
There's also a lot more compliance in the greater volume, so the BOV might not have to work as often, either.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

BOV is for preventing surge on the compressor as well as keeping the turbo spooled between shifts. When you let off the gas you will have an extra volume of air trying to go backwards across the compressor.
The faster you can get rid of the excess pressure the better.
Forever-Fiero

Post by Forever-Fiero »

Well it's just a thought. thanks for posting your thoughts about it :thumbleft: