Wanna make friends?

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Wanna make friends?

Post by Aaron »

Walk through Home Depot with a turbo in your hand!

I swear this thing gets more attention than a topless chick!

I had to go to Home Depot to get some fittings for random shit, and needed the turbo to size the oil drain back. I was under the impression it was 1/2" NPT, but a 1/2 plug didn't thread in, it stopped shy of even 2 threads in. So I called ATP, and a woman answered. I didn't know how to ask for someone that knew something, so I figured I'd just ask. "I need to know what size the oil drain is on my turbo? She asked which turbo I had, I said GT35r, she said we ship those with 1/2" NPT fittings, and some order it with a 1/2" NPT to 10AN adapter. I was shocked.

Anyways, going through Home Depot to find the fitting, I got stopped by at least 4 people who had to talk about it. A couple kids were working there and saw me, and said "That's a a BIG turbo!" So I had to talk to them, turns out one knew what he was talking about. The other was convinced his 16g was just as big....

One guy was like 60 years old and actually knew what it was and what it did! Told me he added a turbo timer to his STi after he blew up the stock turbo, and that I should seriously consider a turbo timer. I couldn't believe it, a 60yo driving a STi? LOL.

Got the fitting, forced it to thread in, and it should work great. Just thought I'd share, I almost don't want to put this thing in the car. But I'm sure once I do, it will be almost as good as showing off a carbed 4.9L.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Pipe threads are tapered, so you won't be able to thread them in very far by hand.

If you want it to thread in deeper, get a pipe tap and run it in a little deeper.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Yah but normally they go in a bit farther than 1-2 threads, guess not in this case. Oh well, it's all solved now :thumbleft:
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Boscolingus

Re: Wanna make friends?

Post by Boscolingus »

Aaron wrote:Walk through Home Depot with a turbo in your hand!

..... it will be almost as good as showing off a carbed 4.9L.
Actually, -/+1000 lbs of excess fiberglass seems to work pretty good too :)
A.K.A. Chicken McNizzle on Old Europe
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Aaron wrote:Yah but normally they go in a bit farther than 1-2 threads, guess not in this case.
Welcome to the world of mass production.
allWorkNoPlay

Post by allWorkNoPlay »

when I read the title, i thought aaron was going to make a public appology.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

For what?
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

YES!
Chase Race

Re: Wanna make friends?

Post by Chase Race »

Aaron wrote:Walk through Home Depot with a turbo in your hand!

I swear this thing gets more attention than a topless chick!
The trick is to get attention from topless chicks and a GT35R probably doesn't do that unless it's bolted to a car made in Italy.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
425-269-5636
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

maybe i should turn my polished t-62 into a desk lamp - maybe then i'd be able to make friends

:la:

car people are sortof like morocycle people - they find out you are interested in something similar and they are your new best friend.

difference is motorcycle people tend to be a more tight knit community.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Kohburn wrote: car people are sortof like morocycle people - they find out you are interested in something similar and they are your new best friend.
On several occasions, ALLTRBO and I were working on his car at the NAS Oceana auto hobby shop. Frequently random joes would walk up to us and (unsollicited) tell us how we should do things, talk about how they used to have one just like it, or try to start up a conversation with something like "Y'all are doing watcher doing, arnch ya?".

All of which prompted me to say "Advice is always free at the hobby shop."