The Mule rides again (sort of) - pics.

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: The Mule rides again (sort of) - pics.

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Chassis shop got them in stock and delivered. I was going to start off with two donuts to build a dual exhaust, but decided I could pull the X-pipe off and bought a total of 4.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I have modified the rear manifold some more to fit between the right axle and rear engine mount. It's just tacked together right now and needs one more change to fit well. After that it will need to be cut back apart so the inner liner can be tacked together, then the outer shell fully welded. I'll get some pics when it's a little further along.

The rear manifold was the last thing I just didn't know how to do with the exhaust. I *think* I have that figured out now and can go full speed ahead on the noise legal exhaust system.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Ordering parts to build a new rear manifold today...
Columbia River Mandrel Bending ( www.mandrel-bends.com ) has by far the best prices on the bends I need.
I'm getting a pair of 180 degree 1.75" OD 11ga 304SS bends to cut up to make the runners and a 2.5" 14ga 409SS 90 for the body of the manifold.
I'm also getting a stainless Northstar header flange from Burns (NOT cheap) and a pair of fully stainless V-band kits.

Should be able to post pics of the parts collection this weekend, and if things go well the built manifold next weekend.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Pipes and V-bands ordered.
Burns doesn't stock the Northstar flanges. They won't let me buy just one.
I guess I'll talk to Columbia River some more... They can make me a water jet cut 3/8" 304 SS one-off for half of what Burns wants for a single CNC milled part. Even cheaper after the first part once the (small!) CAD fee is taken care of.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Bends for the new manifold arrived today. Thanks, UPS. :roll: I'll have to wait until next weekend to do anything with them.

The V-bands should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday.

We're home-growing the header flange. The plant where my dad works has had a laser for a while, and recently acquired a waterjet. At my dad's request, they CAD'd up a design based on the Northstar manifold gasket. They're checking to see if they have any 3/8 304SS in stock right now.

I should be able to cut the tubes next weekend and have the assembly welded the week after.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Collection or parts for the manifold and the first section of pipe:

The runner tubes and how I made them

The thickness of the 11 ga 1 3/4" tubing
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

why did you use such thick tubing?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Because it gets hot.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Mental note: Forgestar wheels
http://www.forgestar.com/v2/wheelscf5.php

Another mental note: Redline Goods
http://www.redlinegoods.com/

Compare against Dallas Steering Wheel for leather upholstery.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Fantastic post from http://www.ferrarilife.com
Brian.G;193300 wrote:Image
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

So I recently copied the hard drive from my old tower computer onto a USB portable. That drive had the HD from my old laptop copied onto it. That copy had the HD from my previous laptop on it. That copy contained the original dyno run data file from 200(fucking)2, which I had the dyno shop give me way back in the day. Data Packrat FTMFW (just this once).

I had the dyno operator from last summer send me my run files from that session.

Since DynoJet makes their run viewer available for free download, I was able to overlay both sets of data on one graph.
Seeing the difference is pretty impressive.

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

its like watching a b16 motor. HP just keeps climbing. You should try to wind it out to 7k if you ever get it back to the dyno again.

I like the tq graph and how it follows the same curve, just with the rebuild it is making more
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Is this sold yet?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Shaun41178(2) wrote:its like watching a b16 motor. HP just keeps climbing. You should try to wind it out to 7k if you ever get it back to the dyno again.
I like the tq graph and how it follows the same curve, just with the rebuild it is making more
Thanks. I'll take the B16 comment as a compliment.
I like the way the new curves follow the old, but a little higher until 4500 RPM, where the new ones just flat run away from the old ones and leave them in the dust.

I'm thinking I can get it road legal again by the end of July.
It will absolutely go back on the dyno again. I have an upgrade path and dyno development planned out. After the full exhaust, the next mod will be a Shelby computer and full tune. By that time, there should be at least 20 HP to free up in the tune. I don't want to turn the redrilled production flywheel beyond 7000 RPM. I wouldn't want to turn a totally stock flywheel beyond 7000 RPM. However, CHRF has Shelby's clean out stock of Series 1 flywheels for cheap. That unit may be workable in this application. I'm trying to get more info from him on the dimensions of the part.

I'm about 80% done with the properly built exhaust for the car. It takes a while when I have to set up 1-3 joints over a weekend, wait for the welder my dad knows to tack them up during the week after work, then come back the next weekend to see if everything went together straight and still fits correctly AND still set up the next batch of joints.

The end result will be worth it, and should be something of which even Emc209i will approve, with the exception of the application of that level of work to a Fiero. :wink:

Exhaust specs are:
  • Fully fabricated rear manifold with provision for EGR tap (not intended for use initially)
  • Front production dual wall SS manifold opened up to 2.5" outlet
  • Dual 2.5" 14 ga 304 SS tubing throughout
  • X-pipe equally distant from each manifold
  • V-band clamps connecting X-pipe to manifolds
  • Dual 2.5" catalysts
  • Dual custom SS mufflers from SpinTech (These are worth a thread all on their own and will be applicable to every swapped FIero)
  • NO trunk cutting
Compared to the crappy 2" straight pipes it used to have, this system should be worth a few ponies, as well as keeping it much quieter and passing visual inspection
After that it will definitely need the Shelby computer and a full tune.
Emc209i wrote:Is this sold yet?
Certainly not before it hits 11's.
I don't see this car and the Ferrari as serving the same function in my life... I'll have to balance the time each one takes up, however.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

WCF gets "blank" aluminum flywheels (Fiero ring gear, blank crankshaft hub) from somewhere, and drills them out for the 3800, N*, etc. They look well made and strong. There's a huge fillet from the center to the final thickness. Might be worth calling Chris about them.

Edit: Pic here http://www.westcoastfiero.com/transaxle ... lutch.html
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Thanks for the info.

I'm fine with keeping what I have an limiting myself to 7000 until I build a button for use with a Tilton 7.25" dual.
The primary virtue of the Shelby flywheels would be that they're cheap (like $100). I don't see the point in spending much more than that on something I'll outgrow, but I'll keep it in mind.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I spoke with Chris at length about the dual disk for the getrag. He said he did the math and that it will fit in the factory getrag with like a 1\4 inch spacer between the block and trans. Of course I haven't measured any of this to confirm.

It also appears that there is no info up on his website to do this with the getrags. It appears based on the website that they are for use with the nsx transaxle. Maybe Series knows more about this?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I don't remember if there is a customer with a Getrag using the twin-disk setup yet. You'd have to call Chris to see.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Had this with three runners for a while... just had the fourth tacked last week.
It's just tack welded right now, and still needs a block off plate + EGR connection at the end and an O2 sensor bung someplace (maybe on the "downpipe" rather than the manifold itself).

Also, that's a custom waterjetted header flange.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Shaun41178(2) wrote:I spoke with Chris at length about the dual disk for the getrag. He said he did the math and that it will fit in the factory getrag with like a 1\4 inch spacer between the block and trans. Of course I haven't measured any of this to confirm.

It also appears that there is no info up on his website to do this with the getrags. It appears based on the website that they are for use with the nsx transaxle. Maybe Series knows more about this?
Series8217 wrote:I don't remember if there is a customer with a Getrag using the twin-disk setup yet. You'd have to call Chris to see.
I plan to use a Frankensteined F40 when I convert to the Tilton clutch, and there's comparatively lots of room inside that bellhousing. I don't think I'll be making an engine/trans spacer in the interim.

Frankensteined = 3.91 final and 0.62 sixth from 2004 box with 3rd-5th from 2007 box, maybe with a Quaife as well.