New Acquisition: dohc turbo

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Forever-Fiero

Post by Forever-Fiero »

So your telling my this wont work?

ImageImage

ImageImage

If not im not sure why.

Not trying to say anybody's wrong. Just a cheaper way to get to the same end. And sorry for the cell phone pix. and yes I know the chip in pic two is in the wrong way.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

yea that shold work too, its just that I can't get the chip out of that unit itself so I guess I just have to use the moates adapter unit.

Ryans chip is in the factory prom housing, and then there is some other unit in the moates housing. It might actually be the factory chip. I guess I will try to put ryans new chip he sent me in the moates unit and see what happens.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Shaun, if you're using the Moates adapter it doesn't even matter what PROM is in the memcal (factory prom housing). The adapter provides no connection to the PROM in the memcal. The one you have on the adapter is what the ECM uses. The memcal is only there to provide the knock sensor circuitry.
Forever-Fiero wrote:So your telling my this wont work?

If not im not sure why.

Not trying to say anybody's wrong. Just a cheaper way to get to the same end. And sorry for the cell phone pix. and yes I know the chip in pic two is in the wrong way.
It might fit, but putting a socket on there doesn't really make removal much easier.. As I said before:
Series8217 wrote: A socket might fit on the memcal itself, but trying to use a ZIF on it doesn't work
The reason the Moates adapter is nice is it allows you to use a ZIF so you don't risk damaging the PROM during repeated installations and removals. I wouldn't recommend using a chip socket; they are NOT designed for repeated removal and installation of chips. Not the right tool for the job.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

I can't wait to drive the piss out of it..

good work shauny
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Re: New Acquisition: dohc turbo

Post by AkursedX »

Updates??

I'd like to know what's going on with this car.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

He said in some other thread he lost interest and wanted to sell it. Haven't seen him racing much recently either...
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Car is running and driving. Took out the old intercooler and installed a new one. Its ready to go. Just needs a final tuning on it. Something I haven't gotten around to doing yet. But yea I have lost some interest in it. I would sell it if someone was interested. If anyone here knows anyone looking for a dohc turbo car point them this way. Thx guys.

Last race I had was around a month ago when I raced that low 11 second mustang. I guess there has been talk on other forums of some people coming from orlando here soon to run me and other locals. Some 10 second cars. One has gone 10.3 @ 132 so we are going to try to line it up others have done high tens at 126. Hope to get video.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Atm, I wouldn't touch a dohc with a ten foot pole. I can't recommend it for anyone else either. :|

You should document this car a little bit more. It's been owned by two very knowledgeable members, which makes the car certainly something I'd like to see more of. Video's are of course encouraged.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

So many people have bad experiences with the motor, and blame it. Personally, I haven't had a single bad experience that I didn't have coming (I spun the bearings on my 127,000 mile motor, after repeated 7200rpm drag races for almost a year). Every other DOHC I've had, including the rebuild of the afore-mentioned blow-up, has been awesome. Reliable, smooth, and powerful. My current one takes 14psi all day long. And 14psi shoved down the throat of an already efficient engine, especially after my internal modifications, is no joke let me tell you. In fact it's downright scary. And it's no stranger to the 7400rpm fuel cut. Nearly every problem with this motor that I've seen from others, is solely their doing. I'll agree it's not the best design (Ok it's pretty bad compared to today's technology), but take care of its defects, and it's just as reliable, durable, and easy to work with as any other 60*. And it blows them away in performance.

That's why I'm not sure why Shaun has lost interest in it, I'm pretty confident there's something not right with his setup. Because the DOHC, pound for pound of boost, will annihilate its pushrod counterpart. Not just the power either, it'll make more torque, have a wider power curve, beat it in mpg, and be more civil off boost.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I will agree wholeheartedly that MOST of the problems people have with things are their own doing.
Aaron wrote:especially after my internal modifications,
You've always bragged up how completely stock your engine is. What internal mods have you made?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Well the head porting, the intake manifold, the headers, the lifters, it all means more stress on the engine. 14psi on my motor is a fuck of a lot more stress than 14psi on a 3.4 OHV. So not internal per se, just modifications that lift the cfm, lift the dynamic compression, or lift the rpm, which all means more stress.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Aaron wrote: That's why I'm not sure why Shaun has lost interest in it, I'm pretty confident there's something not right with his setup.
There is nothing wrong with it.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:Well the head porting, the intake manifold, the headers, the lifters, it all means more stress on the engine. 14psi on my motor is a fuck of a lot more stress than 14psi on a 3.4 OHV. So not internal per se, just modifications that lift the cfm, lift the dynamic compression, or lift the rpm, which all means more stress.
Spare us the hyperbole.
You bitched me out a while back for assuming that you had your high $$$ ported heads on your engine when you did not, and now you're saying that you have ported heads on it. When did this happen?

Your DCR didn't change unless you changed your SCR and/or cam timing, as DCR is only SCR compensated for IVC.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Shaun41178(2) wrote: There is nothing wrong with it.
Then why are you more interested in the OHV? The DOHC should be better in every way.
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Spare us the hyperbole.
You bitched me out a while back for assuming that you had your high $$$ ported heads on your engine when you did not, and now you're saying that you have ported heads on it. When did this happen?

Your DCR didn't change unless you changed your SCR and/or cam timing, as DCR is only SCR compensated for IVC.
I never bitched you out for assuming about my heads, you were assuming other things, and you were wrong (Particularly about my ECU). The heads are on the motor, they've been on it since the get-go, I've never said anything different.

I was under the impression that DCR is the actual compression, relative to the actual amount of air going into the engine, which is affected by the VE. If I'm wrong, what is the term I'm looking for? Wrong term or not, you get my point.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

sentimental value maybe? I built the ohv car. I bought the ohc car.

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'll buy that, there's a lot of pride to be taken in something you built. Just sucks because even after it's done, and running great, you look back, and there's much better choices out there that you would liek to toy with. Even with my car performing so well, I'd change it in a heartbeat if I could. LS1, 3.6 DOHC, there's choices.
FerrariFan

Post by FerrariFan »

any update on the tuning?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

nothing new