Ball Bearing Bushings for Fiero

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

XzotikGT

Post by XzotikGT »

Wow, Well, in my defense I havent sold any to anybody even though many people have asked to buy them. I have redesigned them to have needle bearings however. But, Like stated several times throughout this thread they were complete overkill.

My objective was to make a bushing that didnt have any play, and didnt depend on how tight they were bolted in, and would let the control arm move completely freely. Thses bearings are rated at over 400LBS static, and over 800lbs dynamic. There are two bearings per bushing, with a total of four per side so 1600-3200 load per side. To secure that, bearings are pressed onto an aluminum center pin so the thru bolt never touches the actual bearing, and the bearing is protected front and back with a stainless washer is pressed onto the center shaft of the bearing, and is just shorter than the overall bearing. This will protect the bearing, and allow the bearings to still rotate freely even when overtightened.

I also make UHMW bushings. They inspired me to make the bearing ones. They have a spiral groove cut inside that allows for complete greasing, and the groove will retain grease longer rather than squeeze it out and wash away like a poly bushing with a fitting would. They also are a better material to start with.

Proly missed something...
XzotikGT
1987 GT+1996 3.4 dohc+To4b+water injection
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

UHMW doesn't need grease.

Not sure if 3200 is high enough...
XzotikGT

Post by XzotikGT »

Only put the extra greasing ability in there because everybody requested it.
XzotikGT
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

What if you created a bushing with dual inner sleeves? One slightly longer sleeve you bolt in, then the bushing itself floats on a slightly shorter sleeve?
XzotikGT

Post by XzotikGT »

I was gonna redo the UHMW ones so that the inner portion had a shoulder on both sides, and was .002 bigger than the UHMW when assembled. That way there wouldnt be any measureable side to side play, and you can tighten them all the way down with no side effects, unless you go overboard.
XzotikGT