2005 3.6VVT from Buick Lacrose

Sell your parts/cars here. Parts & Cars - not just for "partscars."

Moderator: crzyone

Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

for what it would take to get there, I could do more. 1200-horse, pump-gas, production-iron-block LS builds are old news. The Fiero would never take it, but I chose the 5.3 because NOTHING else engine-wise is a better bang for the buck. To back it up, I'll keep a running total on my spending for all to see. And I won't do anything that can't be easily copied.
XzotikGT

Post by XzotikGT »

huh? Ya lost me.
XzotikGT
1987 GT+1996 3.4 dohc+To4b+water injection
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I'm saying it is obviously possible to get that thing to serious power levels, but the 3.6 does not have the potential of an iron-block 5.3. And for any given power level, the 5.3 can do it for less money. the 3.6 has 2 main advantages: the block is at least 3 inches shorter, and it should get better gas mileage.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Atilla the Fun wrote:the block is at least 3 inches shorter, and it should get better gas mileage.
The block is aluminum, it probably weighs at least 100lbs less, and it will get noticeably better gas mileage. Also, the swap will be much cheaper.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I seriously doubt that. I'm already $1200 ahead on the initial purchase of the engine, my $500 to that thing is $1700, right? And I got it home for $30. Thus I'm ahead on shipping. As for the block being lighter, the VVT adds alot back. And If it stays auto-trans, I'm closer in total weight.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Atilla the Fun wrote:I seriously doubt that. I'm already $1200 ahead on the initial purchase of the engine, my $500 to that thing is $1700, right? And I got it home for $30. Thus I'm ahead on shipping. As for the block being lighter, the VVT adds alot back. And If it stays auto-trans, I'm closer in total weight.
I'm not sure where you're getting the $1200 ahead figure. The 3.6 is $1000, so you're 500 ahead. But it comes with a harness/PCM, all needed accessories, exhaust manifolds and crossover, etc.

The VVT doesn't add much at all. The 3.6 is significantly smaller dimensionally, and the alloy block. I'd say 100lbs easy. And no one says it has to stay auto trans.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The 3.6 is DOHC. That adds a lot of weight.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Thanks, Will
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Not as much as an all iron LSX block. I'm not saying it's light for what it is, I'm saying it's light compared to his 5.3--and it is.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

the production 5.3 block is nowhere near as heavy as the LSX block. That x was designed to go to 511 ci, about 8.3-8.4 liters, and survive 2500 HP. My 5.3 has aluminum heads, and as I plan to use a remote, plastic water pump, my weight isn't bad. Plus all my weight is down low, I'd say my top end weight is actually less. To run a stick on the 3.6, you'll hafta wait until the camaro returns in late 2009 to get a flywheel.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Aaron wrote:Not as much as an all iron LSX block. I'm not saying it's light for what it is, I'm saying it's light compared to his 5.3--and it is.
If you're saying that, then find the numbers. Otherwise you're just speculating.

The 3.6 also has an aluminum intake manifold (no idea why...) vs. the nylon manifold on the Gen III/IV engines.

GM still can't take a V6 seriously.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Atilla the Fun wrote:the production 5.3 block is nowhere near as heavy as the LSX block. That x was designed to go to 511 ci, about 8.3-8.4 liters, and survive 2500 HP. My 5.3 has aluminum heads, and as I plan to use a remote, plastic water pump, my weight isn't bad. Plus all my weight is down low, I'd say my top end weight is actually less. To run a stick on the 3.6, you'll hafta wait until the camaro returns in late 2009 to get a flywheel.
The Saab 9-3 Aero's have the G6 6 speed available as an option with the turbo high feature V6. That's an enormous flywheel, but might serve as a start.

If you want to run a 282 or other "normal" FWD transmission, just have SPEC make a 2.8 flywheel with the 3.6 crank flange pattern.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: If you're saying that, then find the numbers. Otherwise you're just speculating.

The 3.6 also has an aluminum intake manifold (no idea why...) vs. the nylon manifold on the Gen III/IV engines.

GM still can't take a V6 seriously.
I tried at one point, but was unable. Let me look again. I want to say the only number I saw was 350lbs, ready to install (Wet, all accessories and wiring).

I believe the reason for the alloy intake manifold was because it has that retarded variable plenum design, basically the wannabe variable-runner intakes of the SHO.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
XzotikGT

Post by XzotikGT »

Yeah the Intake is aluminum beacsue it is varaible in some applications. The thing that turned me on to this motor was the stout bottom end. It has everything we wished the 3.4 DOHC was built with on the bottom end, forged crank rods, oil squirters, coated aluminum pistons, 6 bolt mains, structural oil pan. That says pottential to me. Then theres the top end. Varaible cams, intakes and the whole thing is aluminum. Then the dynograph shows a a flat curve.

I can bold th six speed auto with paddle shift form the saturn Aura to it, or the 2.8Turbo veriosn of this motor's 6 manual six speed foun in the Saab 9-3. Also I think there a few othere transmisiions that will bolt up to it just fine.

Tunning to get it all to run is 400.00 dollars from several companies using the stock PCM.

http://media.gm.com/aus/holden/en/produ ... ations.htm

http://www.mechtech-ms.com/ctsv6.php
XzotikGT
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

It'll have great potential once JE makes some pistons and COMP grinds some cams, and once Diablosport and HP Tuners and those guys get some user-customizeable, infinitely-adjustable programmers on the market. plus we'll need things like mounts and headers to make it a bolt-in swap into all the popular older chassis. This all exists for the 5.3, but it'll be 2-5 years for this engine. Ford has put variable intake manifolds in a numer of things, but the '90 ZR1 was the first thing in America to try any such thing. As to the flywheel, pardon my ignorance.
XzotikGT

Post by XzotikGT »

The ecm has alrady been hacked globally, and there are quite a few tuning companies offering tuning for the setup, or you can buy the software for around 500.00. All the tuning I have read about says the cams are perfect being variable and all, so they leave them alone. Tyhey only change low and high octane fuel and timing maps, and adjust torque management so the throttle input is more like a mechanical throttle.

I dont see why you wouldnt use the stock exhaust components. I tis a similar setup to the early twin cams, and I think the y pipe exits like the stock 2.8. Well, you would have to make changes if you got the RWD version.

Also you cannot bolt a standard 60degree v6 tranny to this motor. It has a different pattern. I would have been thrown this thing in if I could slap a one of our getrags to it.
XzotikGT
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

282 might be easier, but I'd happily go with the G6 6-speed IF I could find one for say, $700. With that I would put a T76 on my 5.3
XzotikGT

Post by XzotikGT »

I changed my mind, and have too many projects as it is. I will let this setup go for 750.00 plus shipping and fees. complete.
XzotikGT
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

that's a great price.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Atilla the Fun wrote:that's a great price.