Hurricane Rita hasn't hit FL yet and Oil Prices goin up!?!

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Its not like alcohol is cheaper than gasoline.
Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:And the hybrid game, and the electric car game...

Steel fuel lines ought to be OK. I'd replace all the rubber with E85 safe rubber. Not sure about the inside fo the tank, but I'd be real cautious with it. Does anyone know exactly what plastic those baffles are made of?
Well at this point I think what I am going to do is just go buy some E85 and pour it into some glass jars and put different materials into each one - plastic - metal - etc; items directly from a stock Fiero fuel system and see what happens after time passes and after the materials are removed and allowed to dry.
Oversteer

Post by Oversteer »

When I was in school I worked with a group from the University of Waterloo that coverted a Silverado to run on E85. Chevy systems have apparently been E85 compatible for the past 4 years or so. On the Silverado, they experience less fuel economy and power, but much lower emissions. In bulk the Ethanol should be significantly lower in price than Gasoline due to lower refining and you can cut out large transportation costs as it can be made anywhere. It can be made from a whole lot of different organic substances besides corn, corn is just the most feasible and efficent (mass vs product).

They did a few minor things to the vehicle but had it running at stock numbers. Ethanol will damage certain types of rubber and some plastic if I remember correctly but don't quote me. The major problem with Ethanol over gasoline is that it is a degreaser by nature. It is the future of 4 stroke combustion engines, the emissions and ecological impacts are fair superior to hybrids, and at the same time you aren't stuck driving a Prius. This fuel will not work well in two stroke engines, even the 10% ethanol fuel sold here will damage 2 strokes, we learned this the hard way with a race read Ski-Doo MXZX.

My $0.02

Also, Chevy did adapt a 60 degree in a Lumina years back to operate on alternate fuels. The car was able to handle 85 percent ethanol. They were put into production, so there should be some information out there regarding these vehicles.

I am sure Aaron just got a woody after hearing me say Lumina, it hurt me to say it, but it actually fits in this topic.
He called the shit poop
Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

Oversteer, thanks for your input. I have heard rumors that some E85/Flex-Fuel cars came equipped with stainless steel metal fuel system components, including lines. At this point I think what I am going to do is just do that test, I have a Fiero gas tank sitting here off the car so I will cut a piece of the plastic internal baffle out and soak it in some E85 to see what happens.

I am going to go out an a limb and make an educated guess that none of these components are going to be affected by the E85 (with exception of the rubber fuel hose). I am beginning to wonder if this isn't the same deal the automakers and government tried to pull back when R134a first came out.... If you remember they said you could NOT convert an existing R12 system over to R134a but that propoganda was quickly debunked and disproven by the aftermarket. Gotta love politics.
Oversteer

Post by Oversteer »

Indeed Indeed.

Good luck with the project. E85 can be made from home, I guess its the gasoline version of biodiesel. The emmisions are extremely low, the only problem is, it will dissolve any oily residue in your gas tank, heads, and so on. It may run rough for awhile until is cleans itself out. We used to use ethanol to clean our snowmobile engine when we were rebuilding them.

Once it has a chance to clean everything out, you would have the cleanest engine around. They sell 10% ethanol fuel here at Sunoco, it acts as an antifreeze for your gas in the winter as well.

Sinister, are you the guy that reprograms ECM's?
He called the shit poop
Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

Oversteer wrote:Indeed Indeed.

Sinister, are you the guy that reprograms ECM's?
Yes I reprogram chips and PCM's. PM or email me with your needs.

Getting back to the E85 issue, I have begun my little science experiment today and will start a thread over in the tech section about it.