My Grassroots Motorsports $2009 build

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: My Grassroots Motorsports $2009 build

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Nashco wrote:No, but I can rag on it and see if it goes "bang" or not. They don't teach that one in school, and I must say it's generally frowned upon at work. 8)
That sounds like a fun test, but on my budget I prefer to use the test article after test. The Russians do that with rocket parts. In developing the Zenit launch vehicle they had 6 or 7 hot fire test articles and blew one up deliberately.
...with a welder. In my garage. On a Saturday. I'm not sure what you're getting at...? I drilled a hole through the chassis big enough for the pipe to fit in. I cut the pipe to the desired length. I welded the pipe where it intersected with chassis (two places per pipe).
So you're just using the pipe as a compression sleeve for the bolts? Got it.
If you post a video of you doing a pull test on one of your Northstar connecting rod assemblies, I'll post a video of me doing a pull test on both of my AWD control arm mounts. Sound fair?

Bryce
Why would I pull test my connecting rods? Not only have others like them been run hard, mine have been previously fired...
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

You going to gusset the sides of the strut towers? Looks like you just have an L with no sides.
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:You going to gusset the sides of the strut towers? Looks like you just have an L with no sides.
In due time. They're strong enough for a mild test drive for now, but they will be boxed in once I confirm there aren't any hard interferences with the suspension when it's on the road. Keep in mind they're not seeing much side loading (as the rear strut towers would) because I've still got the double A-arm setup up front.

Bryce
CincinnatiFiero

Solid welds on the two edges and they'd probably never need boxed, I agree, but 10 minutes to cut 4 triangles and running 8 beads of weld. You can't not do it if you get what I'm saying.
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Solid welds on the two edges and they'd probably never need boxed, I agree, but 10 minutes to cut 4 triangles and running 8 beads of weld. You can't not do it if you get what I'm saying.
They are currently fully welded on the two edges, in case it isn't clear, so yeah they're already fairly beefy. I'll be doing better than just welding triangles in, however. I'll be beating more 10 gage steel into shape like I did for the initial bends, so they've got a nice radius to them, then welding those in to box it, making it look as though it was one big pressed part. I want this to look factory! I know what you're saying, and it would be very quick and easy to do...just wouldn't have the results I'm going for. Remember, this is a show car, too! :-D I just don't want to do all of that until I've confirmed there aren't any interferences, etc. as it would be a heck of a lot of work to undo/redo.

Bryce
CincinnatiFiero

I always appreciate some metal work, post pics of shaping the steel.
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

The car made the front page on Jalopnik today. Cool!

http://jalopnik.com/5309278/grassroots- ... brid-fiero

Bryce
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Congrats! I'm sure there will be 15 more threads started about your car and the Jalopnik article on .nl because people there can't fucking read or search.

I actually received two phone calls from friends in my VW club about your car because they saw it on Jalopnik. Way to get the Fiero a bit of recognition. This is definietly a build that I can't wait to see it come to fruition.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
CincinnatiFiero

So what's in it? First and foremost, the original GM four banger is staying in place, powering the rear wheels as it has since 1988
Isn't it a formula?
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

Yes, it's a Formula with the stock V6. I emailed the author a couple of minor corrections, he just hasn't got to updating it yet I guess.

Bryce
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

Nashco

Post by Nashco »

Nashco

Post by Nashco »

Nashco

Post by Nashco »

I did some more test driving yesterday. This time I bumped up the battery count, running as high as 370 volts. As it turns out, spinning all four wheels on a Fiero is pretty easy when the car hasn't been aligned and the tires suck. Sounds cool too!

Bryce
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

Nashco

Post by Nashco »

Have you ever done that thing where you think you're talking to somebody for a minute or two, then you turn around and there's nobody there and it turns out you were just babbling to yourself? :unknown:

More updates:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/ ... 519/page5/
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Those are some creative endlinks! I wish I would be able to see this car compete at the event in person. I'm really interested to see what it'll be able to do.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Nashco wrote:Have you ever done that thing where you think you're talking to somebody for a minute or two, then you turn around and there's nobody there and it turns out you were just babbling to yourself? :unknown:
All the time, man...