Does anyone else like paying taxes?

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

allWorkNoPlay

Post by allWorkNoPlay »

uhh, that's bad.
p8ntman442 wrote:I just found out that the guy in charge of my work study edited my w4. I hae a kid, so i can put 6 on it and he changed it to 1. Guess I like paying taxes too.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

[quote="EBSB52"]but for you say: “I just hate people bitching in generalâ€
EBSB52

Re: Does anyone else like paying taxes?

Post by EBSB52 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
aaron wrote:The city being able to install cameras at traffic signals to save us time.

Negative, ghost rider. They install red light cameras to be better able to extort money from you.
Righto..... Which is why you:

A)register your car in your wife's name, and vice versa.

What this does is when they review the photos and see the opposite gender driving as registered they will toss it at that point.

B) Get a private PO box, not USPS PO box, so if the process server comes he/she will go away due to inability to serve

BTW, this comes from the guy who owns the process serving company who serves tickets that are not responded to by the defendants. At least AZ works that way, don't know about other states.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

EBSB52 wrote:Righto..... Which is why you:

What this does is when they review the photos and see the opposite gender driving as registered they will toss it at that point.

B) Get a private PO box, not USPS PO box, so if the process server comes he/she will go away due to inability to serve

BTW, this comes from the guy who owns the process serving company who serves tickets that are not responded to by the defendants. At least AZ works that way, don't know about other states.
so you use your knowledge to dodge fines that you are guilty of - like you complain about the rich dodging taxation using loopholes..
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

[quote="Kohburn"][quote="EBSB52"]but for you say: “I just hate people bitching in generalâ€
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

EBSB52 wrote:Oy vey...

So what you are saying is that you are against dissent.
I guess I could have phrased that better, because Lord knows I've frequently got a bitch to pitch, and I'm far from shy about doing it. What drags me down is people complaining to me about shit, like I have something to do about it. Example, standing in line for the shuttle bus for the Garlic Festival back in August. Nice enough day, and a mile hike up a hill to the parking lot. Yet the people in line behind us just start grousing and whining to no one in particular how people had been waiting for a bus, and on and on and on... Hey, I'm just an innocent bystander. Do I have to listen to your complaining just for the pleasure of standing where I am conducting my business? I'm in no hurry, why should your time be more valuable then mine?

Oh yeah, I hiked up the hill.

I guess that's it. I just can't stand people bitching in line. Democracy is safe again, Eb.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

EBSB52 wrote:I think you know what I'm saying here, that the Republican agenda is to desire actions by them without questions or accountability. To dissent or protest is considered liberal on most issues. To go along with the status quo is considered conformity, which the Republicans want, especially since they are usually in power.[/b]
well actually yeah I understood - but I was trying to point out that what you think is part of republican ideals, isn't... it may be part of what the people you know - or the politicians (and by politicians i mean all of them not just the republican side) - but its is not associated with the republican party nor conservatives : republicans respect action, not talk

the bigger the government / or business, the more they want conformity because it make things easier for them to do what they want. with no regard to which political party is in power at the time.

republicans still want the government to do what the people want, they don't want to conform to the gov't

any of this making sense to you? (i know i started to ramble)
Last edited by Kohburn on Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

Kohburn wrote:
EBSB52 wrote:Righto..... Which is why you:

so you use your knowledge to dodge fines that you are guilty of - like you complain about the rich dodging taxation using loopholes..
Actually I'm not married, so I don't do A. I've had a private po box for 10 years and I didn't get it for that purpose. SO I don't intentionally dodge any fines and I file and pay taxes every year, so I don't avoid them either. So the system I use is one that was in place before photo radar was here, so no, I didn't use knowledge to set up a system of evasion.

And where have I ever complained about the rich dodging taxes via loopholes? I compel you to find that. WHat I have written is that I dislike your chimp for giving them overt tax breaks via legislation. Thanks for interpreting my words so that they fit your argument.

Also, to compare a person evading traffic fines (which I'e established I'm not) to that of multi-millionaires evading viz loopholes 100's of thousands of dollars in due taxes is desperate.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

EBSB52 wrote: And where have I ever complained about the rich dodging taxes via loopholes? I compel you to find that. WHat I have written is that I dislike your chimp for giving them overt tax breaks via legislation. Thanks for interpreting my words so that they fit your argument.
just returning the favor since thats what you always do - say that I believe or do things because you label me a republican, and believe that all republicans do or believe all sorts of outlandish tings.
Also, to compare a person evading traffic fines (which I'e established I'm not) to that of multi-millionaires evading viz loopholes 100's of thousands of dollars in due taxes is desperate.
actually no- the scale may be different because they are rich - but they are the same thing; actually the ticket dodging is worse because its not legal - loopholes are.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Heh, totally misread the 30yr old part. I take back what I said aaron. I thought it was an old lady.... have to lay off the drugs.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
aaron wrote:The city being able to install cameras at traffic signals to save us time.

Negative, ghost rider. They install red light cameras to be better able to extort money from you.
I think you missinterpreted my point.

Over 95% of the traffic signals in Colorado Springs use cameras. They aren't there to capture red light runners, and do not do so. They simply monitor and record traffic levels, and adjust the light timing accordingly. At 2:45am, they let the busier street stay green all the time, until a car comes to the red on the slow street. The light instantly changes to allow the driver to go. While it doesn't seem like much, it all but stops late night red light runners, saves the law abiding citizens time, and much more.

In addition, the cameras have a receiver for a remote control for emergency vehicles. On a response, the driver/engineer of a fire engine simply presses a button, even far in advance, to have the lights change.

The cameras your talking about we don't have. But in your case, they aren't there to get money, they are there to make the city safer. You aren't going to run the red light if it's going to cost you $60. And say what you want, but not every red light runner does it safely, in fact, none do.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I forgot to say, I'm surprised at you all supporting me on this, and I guess I appreciate it. I'm just sick of people whining when they get so much.

I agree it can easily be taken advantage of, but so far I don't think it is.

EBSB52, I'm the ignorant one? Whatever...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

aaron wrote:The cameras your talking about we don't have. But in your case, they aren't there to get money, they are there to make the city safer. You aren't going to run the red light if it's going to cost you $60. And say what you want, but not every red light runner does it safely, in fact, none do.
Negative, Ghost Rider. The cameras to which I was referring are in place to get money. They have a negative impact on automobile safety.

There was a good bit of flap about this in northern VA a little while back.
Several districts installed red light cameras and started raking in the dough. Someone timed the yellow lights and found that in conjunction with the installation of red light cameras, the yellow lights were ILLEGALLY SHORT. The lights were reset. The contractor who installed the cameras wanted to renegotiate the contract for a larger percentage of ticket money.

How fucking corrupt is that whole ball of wax? The cameras are there because someone can make money using them... to extort money from you.

And that's not the end of it... once the presence of the cameras became known, red light running dropped, but rear ending accidents at stoplights INCREASED DRAMATICALLY. So now everyone in NoVA is paying higher insurance rates because of the greedy mother fuckers behind red light cameras.

A few districts that didn't install cameras acheived the same reduction in red light running, with no attendant increase in rear ending accidents, by SIMPLY INCREASING THE DURATION OF THE YELLOW LIGHTS.

Inductive sensors in the pavement have been used for years for sensing traffic presence. Maybe cameras and image recognition software have finally gotten cheap enough that they are taking that market over.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'd much rather be rear ended than T-boned by a car going 50mph.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Well... that's another thing. Per a conversation with a traffic engineer, very few accidents are associated with running red lights that have only been red a couple of seconds, and very very few of those are serious.

The serious accidents that are the result of running red lights occur when the light has been red to 10 or 15 seconds or more.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

All I know is the CSFD responds to more traffic accidents and medicals than any other calls, and of those TAs, most are at intersections, and I'd say about half are due to people running a red/yellow.

I don't know the official stats, just what I've personally seen first hand.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Maybe I had that backwards... maybe it was just that very few accidents in the first few seconds of red light are serious.

Just because the department was called, doesn't necessarily mean that anyone was hurt
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Maybe I had that backwards... maybe it was just that very few accidents in the first few seconds of red light are serious.

Just because the department was called, doesn't necessarily mean that anyone was hurt
True, but the fact that the accident happened is enough to do something about it. A TA at an intersection will typically take up 2-4 lanes, plus restrict traffic's ability to get through the light.

Not a big deal, it just takes time, but you'd be surprised how many accidents stem from the first. I'd say at least 1/2. So for every 10 TAs at an intersection, you'll have 5 more caused by the initial 10. And even though they are still minor, 90% of the time police are called, and if PD is called, fire is dispatched. And parking a fire engine in the middle of the street takes 1-2 lanes, then add in PD, ambulance, tow truck, etc.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

More cameras... :scratch:

Where is my right to privacy, when does it become breached?

Your concerned leader

Diggity"Big Brother is watching"Biggity
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

I do a lot of work in San Francisco for my job. I had the displeasure of locking up the (ABS) brakes and sliding into an intersection in rainy weather on 4 hours of sleep, when I realized that the brightly painted crosswalk was NOT the limit line. The real limit line was a fading and barely visible single line a ways back. The whole intersection was quite unconventional in and of itself. I'm a highly competent driver - I've never once been ticketed for speeding, never had an accident, etc, though I've been past 130, and drive nuts. The fine on that light also happened to be 390 dollars - much more than the 280 or so for every other light in the city, or the bay area, for that matter. The camera snapped two pics as I sat in the middle of the intersection, figuring out what was going on, including a picture of my best "WTF?!" face, including me pointing up at it in confusion.

Somehow, I never got the ticket in the mail, and I'm sure not going to ask why not. But I took the liberty of removing the front license plate after that little incident. Those cameras are all (wisely) placed in armored housings, with a polycarbonate front window. It sure makes getting even more tricky.

As for the red light bypass system? In my city it's activated by a plain old strobe light flashing at (I think) 14 cycles per second. I think there's also a low-priority bypass at 10. Look at the top of a fire engine - next time you see one passing you with the lights going, there will be what appears to be a normal strobe light up top somewhere - that's what triggers it off. Now before you get any ideas, activating this system actually alerts dispatchers back at 911 or whatever. So if you keep doing it, they're going to track you down. I imagine the consequences aren't any good.