Aaron's 3.4 DOHC 88GT Build Thread

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:Exactly. On the W-body you need the arm because there isn't enough room, but on the Fiero you can mount it right there. I'm not sure what advantages in power and throttle repsonse this will have, but it will be easier and cheaper.
Throttle response is how much time elapses between a movement of the throttle and power output from the engine. This is a direct function of the distance between the throttle and the intake valve. Moving the throttle body closer to the valves will improve throttle response.

How exactly does it "mess up the tune"? What bad habits does the engine gain from doing things this way?

I can see it screwing up your AE so that when you snapped the throttle open you'd get a rich bog for a split second.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I wonder if there would be any negative effects from having the throttle body closer to the plenum? I don't think so, does the arm contribute to plenum volume at all?

As for the tune, the intake/TB weren't the only things messing it up (Headers..) But whatever it was, the ECU didn't like it. That's part of my reason for going to a sequential MAF based system, it should be more accurate and "learn" better.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The MAF system will still need tuning... part throttle reversion can be tricky stuff.

Of course the arm contributes to plenum volume. It holds air, doesn't it?

When you crack the throttle open, you've got to wait for the air to get from the throttle body to the valves. It doesn't move at inifinite speed. Getting rid of the arm reduces the wait.

Moving the TB around can screw up an existing ECM calibration's AE setup. Other than that there's no disadvantage, as race cars do it all the time.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:The MAF system will still need tuning... part throttle reversion can be tricky stuff.

Of course the arm contributes to plenum volume. It holds air, doesn't it?

When you crack the throttle open, you've got to wait for the air to get from the throttle body to the valves. It doesn't move at inifinite speed. Getting rid of the arm reduces the wait.

Moving the TB around can screw up an existing ECM calibration's AE setup. Other than that there's no disadvantage, as race cars do it all the time.
That arm adds a LOT to plenum volume; doesn't that also have an effect on the location of the powerband? That ought to throw off tuning..
whipped

Post by whipped »

I think (?) we agreed that more plenum volume is bad for throttle response, but good for top end horsepower.
My fiero is aliiiive!!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Up to a point...

Going from 10 cu ft plenum to 20 cu ft plenum wouldn't have much effect.

The range of effective plenum volumes is also relative to the state of tune of the engine, which is pretty low for a stock cammed 3.4.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

7 posts into 2nd page and no dropped cradle? I thought this was a build thread :lurk:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote:7 posts into 2nd page and no dropped cradle? I thought this was a build thread :lurk:
Your car hasn't had wheels on it for 2 years.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

eye for an eye?
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Aaron wrote:
crzyone wrote:7 posts into 2nd page and no dropped cradle? I thought this was a build thread :lurk:
What? I dont think thats right Aaron...its had 3 engines in 2 years.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Aaron wrote:
PISS FIGHT!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

donk_316 wrote: What? I dont think thats right Aaron...its had 3 engines in 2 years.
I was just kidding :thumbleft:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Then put a smiley face on it in the first place.

Perhaps a better way of putting your earlier comment would have been...

"I'm enjoying my car before I take it down for two years for an engine swap :thumbleft: "
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: "I'm enjoying my car before I take it down for two years for an engine swap :thumbleft: "
Probably would enjoy it more if it were in the same state as him. :thumbleft:

Haha! Just kidding!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: "I'm enjoying my car before I take it down for two years for an engine swap :thumbleft: "
An engine swap...Or 3....

:doh:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Heh... Guess I have had 3 engines in the last 2 years. :thefinger:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Got my LS1 throttle body in today. It is a bit dirty, but everything looks to be in good working order. It smells like fire. Not just typical combustion, but like it was IN a fire...But there don't seem to be any abnormal markings. Backside is plenty dirty as expected, and as usual it doesn't open fully and the two plate screws are like 1/8" too long...Typical LS1...

On a side note, 96-97 UIM should be on it's way, as are 96-97 injectors, an ignition, and coils. New AC Delco plug wires came in the other day as well.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Found a 96-97 Fuel rail with injectors. I'm not sure if the wiring harness part or anything else is included, but that doesn't really matter. $50 shipped.

Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Aaron wrote:Found a 96-97 Fuel rail with injectors. I'm not sure if the wiring harness part or anything else is included, but that doesn't really matter. $50 shipped.

looks like the 96-97 rail is only one small step away from being a returnless fuel setup..
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

For now I'm just going to run it like stock, no need in further complicating this.

I also got a pair of 96-97 valve covers, front and rear, for $10 shipped from the same seller. I doubt I'll use the front one, but it can't hurt to have (These make valve covers 13 and 14 of mine...)