Hydrogen

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

why not build a floating nuclear power plat out in the ocean that sucks up "deep" water thats super cold for cooling the charge fluid and then sends it back down to the deeps.. if they don't want to run power lines to it then they can have the plant desalinate and convert water to hydrogen to be tankered to the US like natural gas is.. plus being offshore it keeps civilians away from the imediate blast zone

would be any more harmful than the oil rigs?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Dumping hot water back where the water's cold can be very environmentally harmfull to all those little critters on the bottom of the ocean that we never new existed.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Dumping hot water back where the water's cold can be very environmentally harmfull to all those little critters on the bottom of the ocean that we never new existed.
somehow i don't think we'd be able to affect its temperature of that much thermal mass more than the ocean floor thermal vents
whipped

Post by whipped »

Kohburn wrote: somehow i don't think we'd be able to affect its temperature of that much thermal mass more than the ocean floor thermal vents
hehe... I think they'd like it.

[crab 1]OMG! Somebody installed a hot tub!

[crab 2]OMG! OMG!! What's a hot tub?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Why would you build a nuclear plant over thermal vents? Build a thermal plant over thermal vents.

Build a nuclear plant out in the middle of the cold ocean where there ain't much of anything.

BTW, I just noticed that you said "blast zone"... come on, dude.... you know better than that.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Why would you build a nuclear plant over thermal vents? Build a thermal plant over thermal vents.

Build a nuclear plant out in the middle of the cold ocean where there ain't much of anything.

BTW, I just noticed that you said "blast zone"... come on, dude.... you know better than that.
never said to build it over thermal vents - just that its heat input is miniscule in comparison
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

Geothermic's the way to go. A few supaah-deep plants perched right on the many belching assholes of our planet... :salute:
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Mach10 wrote:Geothermic's the way to go. A few supaah-deep plants perched right on the many belching assholes of our planet... :salute:
its basicly free energy via thermodynamics.. (not free monetarily)

figure a nuclear power plant is just using the heat released by fission to move water and turn turbines.. ..

so why not take water thats already moving and make power fro it..

concrete subs and facilities are now much more viable solution

http://www.physorg.com/news3985.html
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

Adding to my Lemming idea, we need to harness the power of volcanoes.

I wonder how much thermal energy is in a lava flow like those in Hawaii. Just set up thermal power pants over exsisting volcanoes? Why the fuck not!
1988 Pontiac Fiero

Ecotec swap taking much too long...
whipped

Post by whipped »

because... they melt?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Liquid Hot Magma!
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

Use some of that unobtanium everyone talks about. I hear it has the melting point of the Sun's surface temp.
1988 Pontiac Fiero

Ecotec swap taking much too long...
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Whatever happened to that "pebble bed" nuclear reactor idea they had a little while back? It was being touted as "meltdown proof" and the big idea that was going to turn the nuclear power industry around. Did it die, or has it just not been implemented yet? I'm guessing the later, as I don't think any new nuclear power plants have been built recently.
<Insert Sig Here>
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Not implemented yet.

Stoopid public goes into conniptions whenever someone says "Nuclear".
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Kohburn wrote:from the imediate blast zone

"Blast Zone"?
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Kohburn wrote:from the imediate blast zone

"Blast Zone"?
as in instant death, rather than slow death from fallout :thumbleft:

just make sure the prevailing wings are carrying it away from the shoreline towards another country :la:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

So what causes this blast from a nuclear power plant?
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

ter'rists
:thumbleft:
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

SOLAR POWER CAN SAVE THE DAY!

yes, its actually true. it not just some wishful thinking. the sun puts out a STUPID amount of energy. just think how much juice is required to light up your city. suns does it everyday for free. and then some. puts out so much you'd die if actually exposed to the full power of the lightside. how is a giant fireball thats so many hundreds times bigger than our planet not a good source for power?
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

It's been covered.

The sun puts out STUPID amounts of energy.

But by the time it hits our little rock, it's too dispersed. Specifically, it's not dense enough. As will stated, we'd need a square collector running at 45% net efficiency 600-miles wide to a side to fuel our AUTOMOTIVE energy needs. Which takes up what, 20% of our overall consumption?

If you roofed your house in high-efficiency solar panels, you would not likely make enough energy to power your house for 24hrs. And that's in summer.