Another backwards Spec clutch?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

Sinister Fiero wrote:It may NOT be the T.O. bearing NOR the spec clutch. I have seen/worked on a few Fieros lately that had worn/hi-mileage getrags. A typical sign of this is a ticking/knocking sound (sounds like marbles rattling around inside of the trans) while the car is idling and not moving. If the sound goes away when you push the clutch all the way in or the trans is in gear and the car is moving then the problem could be a worn-out trans.

If this is the case, what is occuring is the gear clusters and their support bearings/bushings inside the trans have become loose/worn enough that the clearance is so great that these noises occur. The only way to repair this problem is a complete trans rebuild.

-ryan
That happened on a 95 sentra of ours, 200k miles and the input shaft support bearings were gone.

Once the tranny is out of the car the hard part is over, a complete rebuild is easy.
Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

Just to be clear on one thing. If the noise goes away when very light pressure is applied to the clutch pedal or clutch release arm on the trans (not enough to disengage the clutch), then the problem is most likely a bad TO bearing.

If the noise won't go away until the clutch pedal is fully depressed (clutch disengaged), then the problem is most likely a worn component inside the getrag.

-ryan
F8I6EgRtO

Post by F8I6EgRtO »

sounds like the t/o bearing or one of the springs in the clutch itself. wwhich is what was worng with mine after 3k miles of it being in