Got some new pics of my cold Fiero(s)

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

whipped

Post by whipped »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:For snow you want narrow tires that sink in and cut through the slush. Mudders are wide to spread the truck's weight out and take as big a "bite" out of the mud as possible.
it's wider, but it's also got deep channels and high knobs, which I'd think would be like driving with chains.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote:Proper winter tires on a car like a fiero are 195 or 205s all around. The kitty litter idea is a great one as well.

So far this winter I have been driving my skyline occasionally on its 245 summer tires and have yet to get stuck. AWD helps but knowing how to winter drive is the most important.
AWD helps? You're fucking kidding. AWD is NIGHT AND DAY. I hate Skylines, and will be the first to admit it, but AWD kicks ass in the snow, nbo matter what the car. I'm baffled as to how much of a difference it makes. I floor it in my Mom's 4.7 Jeep, and it barely spins them through first. And WRX's perform amazing in the snow. AWD makes ALL the difference. My black car has 205F/215R, the maroon car 225s all around.

p8ntman442 wrote: Starting the hill climb in second gear, from a stop would help alot. The higher your gear, the slower your rpm will climb and you can build some momentum before you spin the tires, then you can quickly shift into 3rd or straight to 4th, your gonna bog the motor, but you will make it.
Thanks for a good post. I tried starting in 2nd, but the on/off clutch doesn't do well, especially if/when the tires grip. I found it was easier in first, just to sit at 2,000rpm, and try to get up it. I tried a running start, in 2nd, but they still just started spinning in 2nd, barely making it 3.4 of the way up the hill.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Aaron wrote: AWD helps? You're fucking kidding. AWD is NIGHT AND DAY. I hate Skylines, and will be the first to admit it, but AWD kicks ass in the snow, nbo matter what the car. I'm baffled as to how much of a difference it makes. I floor it in my Mom's 4.7 Jeep, and it barely spins them through first. And WRX's perform amazing in the snow. AWD makes ALL the difference. My black car has 205F/215R, the maroon car 225s all around.
AWD doesn't do anything for steering or braking. Having the motor in the front (like all those cars you mentioned do) does. AWD is only going to help if you suck at teh launching...
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I'd rethink that thought. Consider that BAR was running a front diff and appeared to become competitive out of no where before it got banned by the FIA two years ago.
Series8217 wrote: AWD doesn't do anything for steering or braking. Having the motor in the front (like all those cars you mentioned do) does. AWD is only going to help if you suck at teh launching...
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Series8217 wrote: AWD doesn't do anything for steering or braking. Having the motor in the front (like all those cars you mentioned do) does. AWD is only going to help if you suck at teh launching...
How can I improve the launch then? Maybe on dry pavement, but on snow, it doesn't matter. There's no slipping the clutch (Spec Stage 3), and even if there was I'm not going to sit there and smoke a $400 clutch/flywheel. So then there's launching in 2nd, whih we already discussed, and doesn't work for me. I launch in first, it sits and spins and slowly get speed, then I shift into 2nd as soon as I can.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Series8217 wrote:
Aaron wrote: AWD helps? You're fucking kidding. AWD is NIGHT AND DAY. I hate Skylines, and will be the first to admit it, but AWD kicks ass in the snow, nbo matter what the car. I'm baffled as to how much of a difference it makes. I floor it in my Mom's 4.7 Jeep, and it barely spins them through first. And WRX's perform amazing in the snow. AWD makes ALL the difference. My black car has 205F/215R, the maroon car 225s all around.
AWD doesn't do anything for steering or braking. Having the motor in the front (like all those cars you mentioned do) does. AWD is only going to help if you suck at teh launching...
Actually, the AMC Eagles posted better stopping distances than their RWD platform cousins despite being heavier. The viscous coupling in the center diff transferred excess front brake torque to the rear wheels and prevented front wheel lockup.
eHoward wrote:I'd rethink that thought. Consider that BAR was running a front diff and appeared to become competitive out of no where before it got banned by the FIA two years ago.
They were running a front diff just to connect the front tires, but weren't putting any drive torque through it? And overcame the added weight just through the torque bias? Wow. That's cool. Why does FIA ban all the cool stuff?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I guess that makes sense since the LSD is still functioning the same regardless of whether the difference in wheel speed is from braking or power. Pretty cool. I had just been thinking about AWD in terms of, well, all wheel drive, rather than what all comes along with that..
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Aaron wrote: How can I improve the launch then?
WINTER tires?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Arguing with aaron is like arguing with a woman. You can't win no matter how right you are.
Weponhead

Post by Weponhead »

off road tires on a truck will do better on a soft pack type snow. not so much on harder packed stuff.. they do fairly well in slush too. for the hard pack you need the skinnys
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

That's correct. extra weight and drag.
The Dark Side of Will wrote: They were running a front diff just to connect the front tires, but weren't putting any drive torque through it? And overcame the added weight just through the torque bias? Wow. That's cool. Why does FIA ban all the cool stuff?
slow'n'steady

Post by slow'n'steady »

i had my '84 last winter. had stock rims and some REALLY old shitty tires and i didnt have much of a problem getting around at all. it was a 4 speed trans, There was one time i couldnt quite get up a hill, so i stuck it in second took off and went nice 'n slow, took me a little longer than usual but i did get up it. i had more of a problem stopping the car than anything....

However only 2 of the 15+ cars ive had where FWD, and i started driving when i was like 12 so i was pretty use to it. We had some pretty "bad" winters years ago. Now its 40* - 50* with the sun blarin, goota love the global warming...
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

slow'n'steady wrote: Now its 40* - 50* with the sun blarin, goota love the global warming...

Global warming=false. Remember all of that global warming bullshit is coming from the same guy that "invented the internet"
product1620

Post by product1620 »

I_wear_pants wrote:
slow'n'steady wrote: Now its 40* - 50* with the sun blarin, goota love the global warming...

Global warming=false. Remember all of that global warming bullshit is coming from the same guy that "invented the internet"
I am glad, you've been smoking the good shit!
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

We need more global warming. 60 million years ago Edmonton area was semi-tropical with lots of dinosaurs roaming around. We have a long ways to go before we get to that point. :thumbleft:

We are still comming out of the last ice age.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I repeat myself, Fieros SUCKASS in snow.

Got stuck twice today, right outside my driveway, flat ground. What happens is the tires fall into ruts, and that's all there is. From there they dig themselves a trench, and don't come out.

And it isn't the tires. We got a Crown Vic with good brand new winter (Installed August) tires stuck in the same neighborhood.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Isn't Colorado having apocolyptical snow this year? Don't blame your car. They found out a couple years ago in New Orleans that they don't float so well either.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Repeating that the world is flat doesn't make it so.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Did you install winter tires? if not :stfu:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote:Did you install winter tires? if not :stfu:
But the Crown Vic that has them?

Yah Stimpy, you're right on the situation. It was mostly cleared up too, just the nieghborhood streets. But I woke up this morning to another 6", and we're supposed to get 8-10 more by tomorrow. F-ing wonderful.

I come back for X-mas break with dreams of SS Camaro keys in my hands, and I've gotten to drive it once.

God hates me.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo