WCF Cindered Iron Clutch issues...Anyone seen this before??

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Sinister Fiero wrote:
Series8217 wrote:Ryan, I have a Spec clutch with even clutch fingers caused by the pressure plate bolts having backed off unevenly for a few miles. Even after tightening it down evenly they're still a bit uneven. It's not really a problem as long as they don't vary by more than an 8th of an inch or so. The ones in your pic look okay.
Interesting, I have never seen this; and I have installed and replaced many clutches in my time. The only time I have seen clutch spring release fingers uneven to this degree was when I have disassembled clutches that were destroyed or missing pieces of the clutch disc.
I'll take some pics next time the clutch is out (for a transmission change or whatever I blow up next...). The ones I took last tranny swap I was just focusing on the wear from the throwout bearing so there's no good angle to see the uneven fingers from. When we had it bolted onto the flywheel to balance the pressure plate when rebuilding the motor we could easily see how uneven the fingers were as it spun around.