crzyone's R32 GTR updates, parts and pics

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I am clueless to which sensor, coil or ignitor left me streanded on the highway last October.... So I'll replace them all. After putting everything back together it was the MAF not letting me rev the car past 3k rpm but that would be the computer going to a base map. Probably a limp home type deal.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Well whatever it was struck again. Got the car all together, started nicely and took it for a drive. Thought I should put some fresh gas into it, been sitting since October. Filled it up, go to start and it was doing the same thing. Sounds like it is fighting the starter and alllmost starting. I'm really suspecting the CAS. I pushed it, walked home and went back a few hours later after it cooled down, started it, barely, and drove it home.

I ordered a new CAS, MAFs, Ignitor and I will get new splitfire coils as well. That should solve my problem.

Anyways, I was testing my new camera, here are some pics.

The yellow looks excellent outside in natural light.

Without the A/C system it looks like the rad will get much better airflow.

Anyways, now I have to wait for parts to get here...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Any way to scan the computer? Generic OBDII scan tool? Nissan specific?
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Cars look great as usual. Not sure I agree with you just throwing random parts at it, but hopefully one of them will fix the problem.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Aaron wrote:Cars look great as usual. Not sure I agree with you just throwing random parts at it, but hopefully one of them will fix the problem.
Selling that motor that I bought, so I have extra cash to buy new stuff. Even if I have 2 of everything it's not exactly a bad thing. Not like I can go to Nissan and get parts for this car.

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Any way to scan the computer? Generic OBDII scan tool? Nissan specific?
I have yet to ask anyone on GTRC. Maybe I can take it for a short drive and pull codes.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I wonder if its the starter drawing too much current. Happened to me. Especially after driving it. my downpipe sits close to the starter and it killed my starter. Its all heat wrapped now and a new starter installed but when it would get hot from driving it didnt' want to turn over. I would try to start it and it would pull so many volts from the battery. I could see the gauge go from 13 to less then 10 when trying to crank it over, and the starter wouldnt' even turn over.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

crzyone wrote:Selling that motor that I bought, so I have extra cash to buy new stuff. Even if I have 2 of everything it's not exactly a bad thing. Not like I can go to Nissan and get parts for this car.
It doesn't use common electronics with, say, a Z32 300ZX?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Yes and no. Z32 MAFs are not a direct bolt on. But they are used when you go to a standalone ecu. They are larger and will flow up to around 600hp worth of air.

The Z32 Ignitor is a newer design and can be wired in to work with the skyline coils. It's actually a fairly simple swap that I plan on doing once I figure out what is wrong with my car.

Z32 coils are not the same.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

The yellow does look a lot better once you have it outside like that. The engine bay needs a FEW more touches of it though and it'll be looking great...I think. :thumbleft:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Just recieved my new hood pins in the mail.

I will be removing my hood latch assembly and installing the hood pins. These are the best locking hood pins I could find. On my next days off I'll have to do a detailed instal post on them. They seem to be very high quality.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Ok, well good news!

I put on the new Ignitor and Cam angle Sensor that I ordered, plugged in the MAFs and disconnected the battery. Once I fired it up and let it idle for a while I took it for a drive. It now drives like it always has. Sooo it runs like a top.

On a side note, after driving the fiero for a week the GTR now feels gutless... or should I say the fiero rips my head off and the GTR has a smooth power band like a turbocharged small displacement engine should have.

Anyways, installed my new hood pins and thought I'd post up pictures.

After measuring ten times it comes down to cutting once. Have to be careful when chopping up a $1500 carbon fiber hood.

After carefully taking off the top layer you still have the under support layer to cut through.

After that is done and the holes are drilled you can peel off the tape and have a look

Top layer and bottom layer removed.

After that I had a Whtecourt car club meeting to go to so I didn't take a finished pic right away. Here is the end result in my garage.

I do not have the pins on yet. The pins that came with the locks are too long. I will be welding small pins to the crossbar tomorrow. I will have to fab up a set myself. This is the only way I could do it properly and strong. I plan on getting rid of the stock hood latch assembly all together.

Guess I will update when I install my new downpipe and decat.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

nice latches - vastly superior to the nasty oens you see on ricers.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

They are the best locking hood pins I could find. Just over $100 for the pair, really good quality.
Leafy

Post by Leafy »

Looking good man, glad you got the car sorted! What kind of camera did you pick up?
86 Fiero SE 2M6
3.1L V6 5 Speed SOLD
06 Cobalt SS
2.0 Ecotec Supercharged 3.0 inch Pulley
15 Psi Daily Driver SOLD
2008 Hyundai Accent (HYUNDAI POWER!!!!)
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

It was actually a 5 year service award for the company I work for. It's a Cannon PowerShot SX100 IS. Not a great camera, nowhere near as nice as your SLR but it is much nicer than my HP and Samsung cameras.
Leafy

Post by Leafy »

crzyone wrote:It was actually a 5 year service award for the company I work for. It's a Cannon PowerShot SX100 IS. Not a great camera, nowhere near as nice as your SLR but it is much nicer than my HP and Samsung cameras.
I looked at the specs, it's a nice camera for it's price range, and 10X optical Zoom, more than my Rebel XT has at the moment. Canon Cameras are a good buy though, haven't seen one take a bad picture.
86 Fiero SE 2M6
3.1L V6 5 Speed SOLD
06 Cobalt SS
2.0 Ecotec Supercharged 3.0 inch Pulley
15 Psi Daily Driver SOLD
2008 Hyundai Accent (HYUNDAI POWER!!!!)
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Today I installed my new NGK Iridium plugs. $80 for 6, but they seem worh the price. Car runs better than ever.

Ordered my new boost controller
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0228420582

Now before anyone puts down the MBC, I bought this one because of what Skyline Australia said about it.
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums ... 73375.html

I can only run a maximum of 14psi on my current turbos so I will set it at my desired setting and forget it.. By the sounds of it, this MBC doesn't bleed pressure as you are building boost which keeps your waste gates closed longer. Turbo response is improved and the turbos spool at a much lower RPM. This will probably be the best $50 my car will ever see.

Other than that, my new downpipe and decat will be here any day, I will post some before and after pics as well as driving impressions.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Doesn't it already have ECM controlled boost?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Yes, currently controlled at .65 bar. You can not adjust it, all you can do is remove a restrictor in one of the lines going to the sylenoid and raise it to 1 bar. My restrictor is gone and I'm still at 0.65 bar so I need a controller to go higher.

The benefit of this MBC I posted is it doesn't bleed air at all. It only opens when you hit your desired boost level. Turbo response is improved, that's what I'm after. Maybe I will have better low RPM response on an autocross track.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote: Ordered my new boost controller
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0228420582

Now before anyone puts down the MBC, I bought this one because of what Skyline Australia said about it.
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums ... 73375.html

I can only run a maximum of 14psi on my current turbos so I will set it at my desired setting and forget it.. By the sounds of it, this MBC doesn't bleed pressure as you are building boost which keeps your waste gates closed longer. Turbo response is improved and the turbos spool at a much lower RPM. This will probably be the best $50 my car will ever see.

Other than that, my new downpipe and decat will be here any day, I will post some before and after pics as well as driving impressions.
Just ordered mine. I better be impressed.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.