3800 Rebuild

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

CincinnatiFiero

Re: 3800 Rebuild

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

jelly2m81 wrote:
CincinnatiFiero wrote:Never glassed before (if you can call this glassing) its baby steps towards re-doing my roof splice. $18 later at wally world, here we are.

You fiberglassing skills suck, theres no valleys and mountains that need bondo. You needs fiberglassing expertise from dem der boys down in Pennsyltuckey!

Am I doing something wrong or is that a shot at people who actually suck at glassing?
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

coinage wrote: I knew Id be ashamed to live in the same state as them...Bastards...
Haha! That's really funny, I'm not sure why. :\

Dude your glassing looks terrific, fist pound and a beer.
CincinnatiFiero

Well my LeBaron rotors showed up today... not... Got an air cleaner instead.

www.autopartsnerd.com

Google recommended them as the cheapest for the 7993 rotors. Free shipping on orders $50 and above so I got the rotors and a cap/rotor for the 88... Got the cap/rotor... but not brakes. Called them and left a message and emailed them. Stay tuned.
EarlBarnes
Earl's not that bad.

Post by EarlBarnes »

read the entire build thread, And everything is coming along nice for you, Thanks for the idea about the cut trunk using a mustang door skin, I was brainstorming what I was going to use for mine.

Anyway im doing basically the same thing your doing, I remember hearing someone say use 2 mufflers on this engine, (they can't get any righter then that) I use a resonator and flowmaster 80 series and it's still loud when you hit on the throttle, My car sits in the garage and I have to pull it out just to run it (rattles the entire garage and loud)

I was going to do a build or rebuild thread with mine, But all I did is take pics and was too lazy to post (maybe later sometime)

I had a build thread on Old Europe with the axles and stuff, If I remember I used a stock fiero stick shift axle on one side and the other side I had to make a axle up using parts from another axle (I wish that thread was still there)

Thanks for the build thread, Your thread has gave me some ideas what to do with mine.
:Yahoo!:
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:

Am I doing something wrong or is that a shot at people who actually suck at glassing?
LOL, looks fine to me man, ya it was a shot because apparently some think a first timers try should be a dismal failure, which yours is not.

your pics are proof that a beginner fiberglasser can do a nice job.
CincinnatiFiero

Thanks for the words guys, I will be able to work on the car on Sunday next.

As for the mustang door skin, it is a bit weak so I may go to something thicker.

Heres whats left:
-Fill the trans ~$50
-Coolant ~$30
-Make a trunk $?
-Possibly move the battery up front $?
-Pull the dent out of the roof
-Redo the roof with real fiberglass, not bondoglass
-Put on front brakes, waiting on hubs and brackets from will and I am going to put my functioning 87 calipers on my 84 and use my shot up 84s as cores on the Blazer calipers
-I can use my old loud exhaust for the time being, but once I can get the car moving I will put together a dual setup 3" into dual 2.5" with dual outlet, less noise and it will look better, but the exhaust is low on the list.

Now that the C500 is re-wired I am curious to see if I will still have a brake light issue.
CincinnatiFiero

Good Review time... http://www.autopartsnerd.com

They shipped me one 7-993 air cleaner instead of two 7993 rotors. Emailed them, heard back from the owner within two hours and the next day air shipped the rotors to me at his cost the following morning. Good company, nice guy runs it. At $21.03 I think they were the cheapest for the 7993s. I'd recommend them, I got my cap/rotor for my 88 from them too.

These look like the right rotors right? #7993, rear 1994 Shadow ES V6 rear rotors with 15" wheels, 11" vented

I got a cheapy c-list scale to weigh parts on, I calibrated it with some weights that the weight should be known on, but its the the most accurate scale ever, but I am going to weigh up some parts, hopefully some people can benefit from it.

LeBaron 11" rotors weigh ~14lbs each. So soon I'll compare that and the hub to the weight of the 84-87 hub/rotor
Last edited by CincinnatiFiero on Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

That rotor is correct. Thanks for the tip, I'll be ordering a pair to replace my current ones...
CincinnatiFiero

The rotors are $21.03 and they give free shipping on orders over $50, so come up with some random other bullshit you need. The $42 rotors + shipping comes to like $65 to Ohio, instead I got a cap, rotor, and rotors for $63 shipped.
CincinnatiFiero

Got the pin welder today
Finished product

Now I'll re-do the roof with actual fiberglass, not bondoglass. Rear of the car should be going back together soon. Just waiting on front hubs and caliper adaptors now then the front will be buttoned up. Picked up a new front spoiler for it last night (mine was missing, for some reason so are a lot of formulas).

Sent the litlferrari front battery box design to a friend, hopefully it will be made soon. How much wire does it take to run a front mount battery. Like 15 feet?

Still undecided on how I am doing the trunk, we'll see.

Priced out all the ATF, coolant, oil, filters, etc, but having my dad double check on prices with his commercial accounts.

We're damn near ready to run here. May be buying another motor and a core transmission. I'll rebuild the the trans and throw the stonger 04+ shafts in it and some other goodies and next year go balls to the walls.
CincinnatiFiero

So I think I shared this secret before, but I'll go ahead and share it just over here. Keep this the fuck off the NL.

Pep Boys is clearanceing out Hawk brake pads for next to nothing. HPS are $21 a pair.

HB119F.594 is the p/n for the LeBaron/Camaro/Blazer setup.

There are only sets left in LA WAREHOUSE. So you will have ask the parts counter jackass to go out of his way to find it. Shipping from any pep boys warehouse to your local store is FREE. If you want a set and they hassle you, I know my friend here can get them and I can mail them to you. You'll still be under $30 on a set of $85 pads. I already bought a set of HPS and I got a set of the SuperDuty Towing pads for $13, cause I could. All the pads should be $21, maybe a hair more. We did hawks all the way around on a Jeep for $50.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

I got me a set.. :)
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Damn, wish I needed pads. Maybe I'll go check them again just in case.
<Insert Sig Here>
CincinnatiFiero

Well I had my cone just chillin in the hot engine bay before, but now with my motor remounted it won't fit there and I may as well have a fenderwell intake. So I decided to go ghetto with a little pvc for the time being, two 45s didn't do it, I think I need two 90s.

Mostly did bodywork today
Put down all new weather stripping, went slightly thicker than stock to make up for my mangled roof
Mounting a clip alone is a bitch
Then I broke out the glass and tried to stick the roof together better, my old bondo glass thing did not work as everyone anticipated. Now I did consider making an entire roof out of bondohair, but I shelved that idea...
I got at least two layers of glass down in all the spots and tried to jam it down in that crack the best I could.
Appears to be more level to me
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Studying your pvc, I believe a pair of 90s would be the best solution, there's not room for what would make the 45s work, namely a bit more length between the 2 of them.
CincinnatiFiero

I picked up a pair of 90s and my buddy had a length of 3" straight laying around. Ultimately I won't be running a PVC intake, but for $6, it will keep me cooler for the time being until I find the steel I want to make an intake, or this one melts.

Got a corvette master, hardware, stud, calipers, brackets, everything for the LeBaron upgrade. Also picked up a set of Emc209i's trick stainless lines.

Part numbers for those who care:

54mm M12x1.50 studs - 98501.1 (Motormite/PepBoys) 610-323.1 (Dorman) 97239-1 (PTC)
Caliper O-rings, sliders, hardware H5202 (ProStop/PepBoys)
Caliper Pins H5004 (ProStop/PepBoys)
Hawk HP Super Duty Pads HB119P.594
CincinnatiFiero

EmcCizlles lines
Mock up

PVC intake

Corvette Master, do you think there is a problem with the proportioning block tilted? I had to bend the the lines (obviously) and this was as far as I wanted to bend them to not kink them

Can someone tell me the difference between HPStreet and HPSuperDuty?

I know you guys were concerned, so I painted the rears black
CincinnatiFiero

Caliper Carrier to Spindle bolts are M12 - 1.50 My dumbass tried to put a M12 - 1.75 through and fuckered up the threads.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

CincinnatiFiero wrote: Image
Those look like some awesome brackets you have there!
Sorry the holes weren't drilled right.
CincinnatiFiero wrote:Caliper Carrier to Spindle bolts are M12 - 1.50 My dumbass tried to put a M12 - 1.75 through and fuckered up the threads.
My dumb ass told you it was 12x1.75, didn't I? :oops: Crap.
CincinnatiFiero

No worries Will, I should have run it through a thread guide to double check and in my haste I didn't no worries. Yeah forgot to mention this upgrade uses Will's new brackets and uses Blazer 4x4 calipers, not camaro calipers to try to rectify the brake hose issue. So far it appears they will work great.

The Pep Boys caliper Part numbers are C134 and C135. Retail is $11.99 per caliper with an $18.00 core.