crzyone's R32 GTR updates, parts and pics

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

crzyone wrote:Yes, currently controlled at .65 bar. You can not adjust it, all you can do is remove a restrictor in one of the lines going to the sylenoid and raise it to 1 bar.
I would have figured that Skyline ECM mods would grow on trees... has no one hacked your computer to allow more "enthusiastic" boost control?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

My new Apexi downpipe arrived today. 65mm inlets and 80mm outlet. So slightly larger than 2.5" inlet and slightly larger than 3" outlet. It looks huge in person, I was amazed when I pulled it out of the box.

Aaron, you should have waited until I could give a good impression of the boost controller. I'm sure it will be good, about as good as a MBC can get.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Isn't it weird, 3" pipes look HUGE in person, my DP did too. But I really wish I could go 4". That downpipe looks really nice, looks like it could flow really well. I bet you pick up 40hp from that and exhaust alone!

Now that I think about it, I should have waited. But I'll give it a shot. Let's see who gives the review first. I won't be back in town until the 9th or so, so you've got a month on me!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I have the same type of boost controller. Cheap to make and uses a ball and spring to control boost. Mine works good. No spikes, and builds boost quicker then without it.

I am running a 7 lb wastegate spring and have the boost controller adjusted to about 9.5-10 psi.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
crzyone wrote:Yes, currently controlled at .65 bar. You can not adjust it, all you can do is remove a restrictor in one of the lines going to the sylenoid and raise it to 1 bar.
I would have figured that Skyline ECM mods would grow on trees... has no one hacked your computer to allow more "enthusiastic" boost control?
Nobody really mods the stock ecu, I have only recently found out about Nistune.
http://www.nistune.com/

I don't think I will use it, there are many good aftermarket ecus for the GTR. I will probably go with an Apexi Power FC. Replaces the stock ecu completely. There is also a boost controller option for the FC, I will probably use it when I upgrade.

As soon as my spare engine sells I am buying an FC and getting a tune on 14psi. Tune alone is usually good for 30+hp on these cars. They run pig rich from factory.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Aaron wrote:Isn't it weird, 3" pipes look HUGE in person, my DP did too. But I really wish I could go 4". That downpipe looks really nice, looks like it could flow really well. I bet you pick up 40hp from that and exhaust alone!

Now that I think about it, I should have waited. But I'll give it a shot. Let's see who gives the review first. I won't be back in town until the 9th or so, so you've got a month on me!
the supra guys have been having better luck with the 3" to 3.5"(hard to find) exhaust untill they are pushing 800+. 4" just wasn't working well for them.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

crzyone wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Nobody really mods the stock ecu, I have only recently found out about Nistune.
http://www.nistune.com/

I don't think I will use it, there are many good aftermarket ecus for the GTR. I will probably go with an Apexi Power FC. Replaces the stock ecu completely. There is also a boost controller option for the FC, I will probably use it when I upgrade.

As soon as my spare engine sells I am buying an FC and getting a tune on 14psi. Tune alone is usually good for 30+hp on these cars. They run pig rich from factory.
A friend of mine has a Power FC in his MR2 Spyder. It seems to work pretty well.

Go for the NIStune, man. All the reasons to chose a factory GM computer over an aftermarket unit apply here... no aftermarket unit can come close to the engineering in a factory ECM and tune.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The factory ecu was designed in the 80s. The Apexi was designed in the late 90s. I think the Apexi FC has about every advantage over the ollllld factory ecu.

Plus, the hand controller is worth it alone.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The difference in ECU design between the 80s and at least mid 90s is minimal. The Fiero ECU does just about everything that my 1993 3.4 DOHC ECU does, certainly everything I'd need it to. And even through 95 still used the same ECU design, just using upgraded engine components and sensors.

Just because the ECU was made in the 80s, doesn't make it bad at all. Knowing all of the trouble you've had with your Fiero's PCM, I'd stick with the stock one on the GTR.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Leafy

Post by Leafy »

Aaron wrote:The difference in ECU design between the 80s and at least mid 90s is minimal. The Fiero ECU does just about everything that my 1993 3.4 DOHC ECU does, certainly everything I'd need it to. And even through 95 still used the same ECU design, just using upgraded engine components and sensors.

Just because the ECU was made in the 80s, doesn't make it bad at all. Knowing all of the trouble you've had with your Fiero's PCM, I'd stick with the stock one on the GTR.
You don't see many 800hp BS3 regulated Northstar Fieros, but I'm sure that there are hundreds of GTR's running around with around 1000hp using the Apexi equipment.
86 Fiero SE 2M6
3.1L V6 5 Speed SOLD
06 Cobalt SS
2.0 Ecotec Supercharged 3.0 inch Pulley
15 Psi Daily Driver SOLD
2008 Hyundai Accent (HYUNDAI POWER!!!!)
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Installed my new downpipe and decat today. All i can say is wow, there is definitly a seat of the pants difference. I now find myself bouncing off the rev limiter because it makes power all the way to redline whereas before you could feel it drop off.

Out with the old, in with the new

Also recieved my new boost controller. Not sure why but any way I try to hook it up I can't get above 0.65-0.7 bar, same as before. I'm thinking I might have a leaky hose somewhere. I'm going to have a close look at it and ask on the GTR forum about it...

Aaron, get your controller yet?
Last edited by crzyone on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

take your boost controller apart and make sure that the spring inside is not binding on the threads of the internals. It can happen sometimes. Just be carefull though because that spring could take off and you might not find it.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Im fucking drunked.

I got mine but im not in colorado im in californeia so i cant put it in. i also have my chipo but i havent put that in either becausecuz im ma also in california.

bacardi 151 is the devil its fucking bad
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:take your boost controller apart and make sure that the spring inside is not binding on the threads of the internals. It can happen sometimes. Just be carefull though because that spring could take off and you might not find it.
Tried that, I don't think I'm getting a pressure signal from the charge pipe. Seems like it's just running on the waste gate springs.

The previous owner installed an aftermarket boost guage. Going to make sure he didn't cut anything he wasn't supposed to.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Aaron wrote:Im fucking drunked.

bacardi 151 is the devil its fucking bad
I didn't know you guys celebrate Canada day. :thumbleft:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

fyuck cnanada fucking greek nazis canadians

YEAH!!!

i just made another flaming docter peppppppper and burnt all the hair off my right havnd and finger but HELL YAH it tasted like fucking doctorer pepper!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Man I wish I could drink like that now... Summer cold, one and a half beers and I feel like crap....
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Aaron wrote:fyuck cnanada fucking greek nazis canadians

YEAH!!!

i just made another flaming docter peppppppper and burnt all the hair off my right havnd and finger but HELL YAH it tasted like fucking doctorer pepper!

Sure you didn't do a couple lines while you were at it?
The Pep in Dr. Pepper used to be cocaine back in the day.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

A couple pics from the autocross I was at on the 6th. I didn't do well at all, it was a complicated course... I actually had 3 off courses and one spin. When I was marshalling it seemed like everyone was going off course...

Look at those steam rollers!

I am going again on the 13th, hopefully I do better the second time out this year.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Looks good, I see from the results that it must be a complicated course, lots of DNF's. I was in Bonnyville, otherwise I would have come out. I cant make it on the 13th either, got an anniversary that day. Next time though.