more DOHC issues

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

or his tb is stuck open a bit
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
slow'n'steady

Post by slow'n'steady »

Series8217 wrote:And if it doesn't drop your idle when you do that... then "someone" messed with the throttle stop screw so your throttle stays open too far with your foot off the pedal.
I turned the screw to figure out which way opened/closed the T.B. i then backed it out all the way so the T.B. is completely closed. I will try the IAC thing when i get home...
I have someone wanting to trade me a 1991 "slick top" 300ZX so i might be gone pretty quick. IIRC only like 3% or so of those 300ZX' where hard tops...
slow'n'steady

Post by slow'n'steady »

FINALY!!!
I got it running good and took it for a drive and i must say... DAYAMN!!
pulled out of the garage and while turning out of the driveway decided to gas it a little and next thing i new i was facing the other direction! I thikn the port/polish work i had done to the heads and intakes may have helped but i dont really have any comparison so... However i must say i am VERY impressed with the car and the Spec stage 3 feels AWESOME. I did find out the hard way that i need to bleed the brakes again but luckily i started slowing down soon enough that i was able to pump the brakes and stop before i flew into the intersection...

I pulled out the IAC anc cleaned the port on the intake, that got the idle down a wee bit but still didnt run very well. Then i unhooked the ECM and put a different prom in it and now ti starts up and runs and drives. It does still idle pretty high but i covered the IAC port with my finger and it smoothed out and idled FANTASTIC so i just need a new IAC but wont have $80 for one anytime soon so... Anyways as of right now i am no longer selling the car. and will be finishing up the rebuild of my spare DOHC and getting it ready for a turbo hopefuly. Thinking later this fall hopefuly depending on what happens with the Charger and Torino...

THANKS to EVERYONE on here who gave me page after page of tips and advice!! Couldnt have done it without all of you!!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Wasn't that a lot more satisfying that selling broke-ass car at a steep discount without knowing what was wrong with it?
slow'n'steady

Post by slow'n'steady »

Yes, Yes it is!!
I am gonna try to get some videos for you'all this weekend. It still ticks a wee bit but it isnt all that bad anymore so hopefuly it will go away before too long.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I have purchased a new IAC for my 2.8 before and when first installing it, the computer really doesn't know where its at. So the idle was super high untill I took it for a drive and let the car warm up. Once I did that the idle came back down to where it should be. Try that if you can

Whats your idle at now anyways?
whipped

Post by whipped »

what shaun said.

Either drive it at 50mph, or key on for 20 seconds, key off for 20 seconds. That will reset the IAC assuming it's not stripped or anything.
Erik

Post by Erik »

slow'n'steady wrote:Yes, Yes it is!!
I am gonna try to get some videos for you'all this weekend. It still ticks a wee bit but it isnt all that bad anymore so hopefuly it will go away before too long.
use 20w50 for summer ..glad to hear you got it running ..you are in for some fun but be careful the dohc is deceptively fast...
Erik

Post by Erik »

slow'n'steady wrote:I will check into that. Every sensor on the engine is brand new though so i dont know... Thing that pisses me off is that before the oil leak (distributor delete thingy) When Erik came up here it was running "fine". It idled fine and all that good stuff so i am just tryin to figure out what the hell is different now... Gonna try the ECM i used back then and see if that makes a difference at all...
I think your fuel injectors were the culprit..I've had several go out on mine over the years but, then again there were quite afew miles on them