starting my 5.3 with pics

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Atilla the Fun

Re: starting my 5.3 with pics

Post by Atilla the Fun »

okay, I got the digital pics from this morning, from the camera into my PC. There are other pics coming from wal-mart. Now I'm gonna try to post the pics, and then describe after the pic is up.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

this is the Z28 passenger side exhaust manifold, there would be no trouble using it like this.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

it works this way, too. If you're only running an alternator.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

also, please note that that 2x4 has been planed, tho you can't see it in these pics. I planed it to get it to sit right for the mounting. Which hasn't been done yet. Here's another angle of the same setup as that last pic:
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

this one pretty well speaks for itself. That's the other Z28 manifold, and a truck mount. From a Silverado 4x4. Other angles to follow.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

clears fine.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

with some cutting and welding, this is very doable. This is the same mount as above, it's from the driver's side of the Silverado, I don't know for sure if it's the same part number for both sides, or not.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

This is the Z28 driver's side manifold, which means no silverado mount, but that's also true with the Z's pass. side man. on the front of the engine as installed in a Fiero.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

another view of the same setup
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

In conclusion, I'd say these manifolds are fine for anyone not obsessed with maximum power. After all, in their original application, they support 323 rwhp.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

My dad is doing a 5.3 into a 260Z body and got a whole bunch of manifolds, from Corvette to Camaro to GTO for $50 or under a pair on ebay. Of course he also has the truck manifolds that came on the engine.

Got pics of the top side clearances with the truck intake manifold reversed?
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I do, as soon as I get them from Wal-Mart on Monday or Tuesday. Once your dad is sure which manifolds he will not be needing, I would be interested. (if you were offering rather than just the idea) Because early early this morning, I installed an LSx into my '89 Mustang using the Z28 manifolds, and while the passenger side is fine, the driver's side is preventing ANY steering. I want to find a production manifold that fits there before moving to headers. I'll put pics in "other cars"
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Actually, I was suggesting that you look at those other manifolds, and maybe get yourself some to try. It'll be a while before my dad gets his car on the road.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I'm not surprised. Truck manifolds are the most common, and therefore both easiest to get, and cheapest, but I already tried those, and neither one works either way. The Z28/Formula/transAm manifolds are the second most common, especially since everyone replaces them with long tube headers. GTO and 'vette manifolds are rare and expensive, better to just do headers. Pics of LS4 manifolds and LS7 manifolds are easy to find on old europe, but I dislike them. There may be other manifolds on the SSR or the H3 Alpha 5.3L, but I don't know. If so, they're also rare and expensive. For those not wanting headers, the Z28 manifolds are the best thing.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Why not build (Or buy), a set of shorty headers? For now trying to save some money and use manifolds?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I did the manifolds to show everyone something they can't see anywhere else, because I could. Nowhere on here nor old europe can I find any pics of how Z28 exhaust manifolds fit an LSx Fiero. I'm not trying to brag about being the first, on this at any rate. I had the Fiero, the LSx, the manifolds and the camera all in the same place at the same time. And everyone on here likes to see what is being discussed. I do like to show that I am thorough. I got the pics back from wally world, I'll be posting them in a few minutes. I'm thinking the digital pics come out better, there are some here not good enough to post, or I would be posting 27 pics, not just 15.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I'm not arguing, I thought you were testing the different manifolds to try and find a solution, not just testing for general knowledge. So you have a digital camera, but still have to go to Wal Mart? It should have a cord to connect it to your computer, and you can transfer them that way.