Anyone else looking for a set of 6" H beam rods?

Sell your parts/cars here. Parts & Cars - not just for "partscars."

Moderator: crzyone

v6h.o.

Post by v6h.o. »

donk_316 wrote:You can. Its just a matter of bearing tang match up. And narrowing the bearing of course.

Email from him this morning said "649-651grams each"

Well we dont have a 4th person so it looks like 200 a set and shipping and we all get 2 extra rods.

Will, I need your addy for the shipping quote. Then when i find out what the total is. We will split it 3 ways? Agreed?
You CANNOT narrow the bearings. You could try, you could do it but your left with bearings that are going to be fucked from either the babbit material pealing off, excessive heat in the bearing ruining it from narrowing, or a bent fucked bearing.

you will have to get the notches cut.

Donk, I'm thinking about just picking up the remaining set as well and I'll just get them modified and and sell them ready to run.
Colin 92 Sunbird GT 3200 Hybrid
13.99 @ 96.2 -fastest N/A v6jbody
2006 G6 GTP 3900 V6, 6spd coupe.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

OK man so your willing to go $300+ship while Will and I go $150+ship then?
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
v6h.o.

Post by v6h.o. »

Give me a day, Just gotta check on a few things first if thats ok.

How is payment going to work here? Paypal? Money Order? Credit Card?
I'd prefer if I can paypal it. I've got $ sitting in there from a few things I've sold.

What aboot shipping? Are they being sent to one of you guys first then they're getting divided up?
Colin 92 Sunbird GT 3200 Hybrid
13.99 @ 96.2 -fastest N/A v6jbody
2006 G6 GTP 3900 V6, 6spd coupe.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

v6h.o. wrote:Give me a day, Just gotta check on a few things first if thats ok.

How is payment going to work here? Paypal? Money Order? Credit Card?
I'd prefer if I can paypal it. I've got $ sitting in there from a few things I've sold.

What aboot shipping? Are they being sent to one of you guys first then they're getting divided up?
I think I mentioned it earlier where everything will be sent to Will house then distributed from there.

No rush. I mean they aint gonna disappear or nuttin.

I was thinking of sending the money to Will. Then Will sends it all in and ships to his house. Then we pay to ship from Will. So i guess if Will is willing to take Paypal than yeah. Myself it will have to be a MO.

Do I win an award for using the word "Will" that many times in a paragraph?
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I'm not mod here, so... no.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

v6h.o. wrote: You CANNOT narrow the bearings. You could try, you could do it but your left with bearings that are going to be fucked from either the babbit material pealing off, excessive heat in the bearing ruining it from narrowing, or a bent fucked bearing.

Donk, I'm thinking about just picking up the remaining set as well and I'll just get them modified and and sell them ready to run.
How do you usually go about narrowing rods?

I was going to torque the caps with bearings in place, then clamp each rod to a mill table and skim bearing and rod at the same time with the appropriate cutter. I think that in that circumstance, heat and bending would be non-issues, especially with a little coolant spray. Babbit peel? Maybe, but I think that appropriate combination of cutter motion and turning direction would take care of that (so that the cutter teeth were always cutting "into" the bearing, opposite the direction it would take to peel the babbit).

I intend to test this technique pretty much no matter what. The only thing that would stop me is if someone said "I tried exactly that and it didn't work". At best I will have saved myself the cost of having the notches recut. At worst I will have a SBC rod bearing... darn, another $2 down the drain.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
v6h.o. wrote: You CANNOT narrow the bearings. You could try, you could do it but your left with bearings that are going to be fucked from either the babbit material pealing off, excessive heat in the bearing ruining it from narrowing, or a bent fucked bearing.

How do you usually go about narrowing rods?

I was going to torque the caps with bearings in place, then clamp each rod to a mill table and skim bearing and rod at the same time with the appropriate cutter. I think that in that circumstance, heat and bending would be non-issues, especially with a little coolant spray. Babbit peel? Maybe, but I think that appropriate combination of cutter motion and turning direction would take care of that (so that the cutter teeth were always cutting "into" the bearing, opposite the direction it would take to peel the babbit).

I intend to test this technique pretty much no matter what. The only thing that would stop me is if someone said "I tried exactly that and it didn't work". At best I will have saved myself the cost of having the notches recut. At worst I will have a SBC rod bearing... darn, another $2 down the drain.
Will, why not just run the 660 bearing?
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

'Cause that requires re-notching the rod. If my way works, I can narrow SBC bearings at the same time as and for essentially the same amount of work as narrowing just the rods, but without having to re-notch for V6/60 bearings.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:'Cause that requires re-notching the rod. If my way works, I can narrow SBC bearings at the same time as and for essentially the same amount of work as narrowing just the rods, but without having to re-notch for V6/60 bearings.
I think with the way this works as only one side of the rod is narrowed (?) that the notch has to be relocated no matter what...it was a while ago when i was at the machine shop but im sure we covered this there.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Right all the material comes off one side of the big end. A new notch will have to be cut.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

donk_316 wrote:You can. Its just a matter of bearing tang match up. And narrowing the bearing of course.

Email from him this morning said "649-651grams each"

Well we dont have a 4th person so it looks like 200 a set and shipping and we all get 2 extra rods.

Will, I need your addy for the shipping quote. Then when i find out what the total is. We will split it 3 ways? Agreed?
ZIp is 22849
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

It's $51 including the shipping, insurance and handling charge for 3 sets rods to your address.

Please make payment 200 X 3 + 51 = $651 by paypal to sales@crankshaftdepot.com. the rods will be out at same day or next day after we received the payment.

OR if you want to send money order, please send to:

Crankshaft Depot
PO 1502
Pomona Post Office
Pomona CA 91769
United States

Or you can pay the credit card visa, master or america express.

take care

Mike.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I get paid Wed or Thurs.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Now... let's go back over the payment/shipment plan...

Do you want me to pay for all, then collect money and ship? Or are you going to collect money and let me ship?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

donk_316 wrote:I think with the way this works as only one side of the rod is narrowed (?) that the notch has to be relocated no matter what...it was a while ago when i was at the machine shop but im sure we covered this there.
Shaun41178(2) wrote:Right all the material comes off one side of the big end. A new notch will have to be cut.
Are V6/60 rods offset under the pistons or something? Why does it all have to come from one side of the rod?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I dont' know why. Thats just what gm says.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Ahh... and now we get to the crux of the matter...
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Ok! Decision time...

I have been speaking to RFRE and they have some rods....CARILLO RODS for 50 bucks a piece. Thay have 5.7 and 6...

I dont know how many sets of each although I have earmarked a set of 6's for me. He is figuring shipping on the crank and rods.

SO

I would suggest that if Colin and Will still want these rods that to go ahead with out me. Unless one of you want a set of 5.7....ill see if he has another set of 6's
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Carillo rods for $50 a piece? I'm down with that. See if he has another set of 6ers.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Will.
The issue is he takes like 5-7 days to return my emails...sometimes we email back and forth all day...then hes gone for a week and a half...When i hear back ill find out more.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)