Aaron's 3.4 DOHC 88GT Build Thread

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Surgery is scheduled to begin on Monday, May 8.

I still need a starter and a 96-97 lower intake manifold, but neither of those should be a problem.
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

Which one's the show-me state?

heheheh...

I'm still positive I'll be driving my 2nd 3.4TDC swap before you finish your first. :thumbleft:
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

We shall see, I'd like to have it running by June 15...
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

Oh, man... Easy. Barring any stupid shit breaking, mine should be running in 2-3 weeks :p
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

aaron,
will you dyno it when your done? id like to see what a stock dohc with minor bolt ons will do.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

donk_316 wrote:aaron,
will you dyno it when your done? id like to see what a stock dohc with minor bolt ons will do.
Fuck yah I am. I wouldn't say "minor" bolt ons, aka fully ported/polished heads, 48g lifters, custom cam timing, 96+ intakes and LS1 75mm throtte body, electronic water pump, shorty exhaust, and a darth chip. This fucker better scream on the high end.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

aaron,
can you explain your ls1 tb swaparoo to me? how does the iac and tps and all that jazz hook up to the dohc wiring harness? is it plug and play? i see ls1 Tbs go for 50 bucks on a daily basis on ebay and was thinking this might be an easy cheap upgrade if its not a hassle.

Plus i would gain all the plenum arm room back in my engine bay
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

donk_316 wrote:aaron,
can you explain your ls1 tb swaparoo to me? how does the iac and tps and all that jazz hook up to the dohc wiring harness? is it plug and play? i see ls1 Tbs go for 50 bucks on a daily basis on ebay and was thinking this might be an easy cheap upgrade if its not a hassle.

Plus i would gain all the plenum arm room back in my engine bay
The LS1 is plug and play to the DOHC connectors. Except depending on how/where you mount it, you may need to extend the wiring. But you use the stock LS1 IAC and TPS, and the DOHC connectors plug right in.

One thing, the ones on Ebay for $50 usually don't include the sensors as the owners used those on their FAST and other aftermarket TBs. So you need to find one with the IAC and TPS. You can find them for $50 (I did), but you have to look.

Also, be sure to make either a custom intake arm, or mount it directly to your plenum with an adapter (That's how I'll be doing it, and how I suggest). The IAC isn't integrated, and if you use an intake arm, you'll need to weld a passage from the throttle body back to the intake arm. You can see this on my Z34's intake arm. If you mount it directly to the plenum, you can just cut out the IAC outlet in the adapter and that's much easier. Your factory cruise control cable draw won't work, you'll need the clip on type from newer engines. But your actual throttle draw will work provided it's long enough. Other than that, pretty easy swap, and one I'd suggest to anyone that's capable!
slow'n'steady

Post by slow'n'steady »

june 15th huh?

im hopin the begining of june. wonder who'll be done first? im only waitin on a few things B4 i begine test fittin and intercooler placement and some other things.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

slow'n'steady wrote:june 15th huh?

im hopin the begining of june. wonder who'll be done first? im only waitin on a few things B4 i begine test fittin and intercooler placement and some other things.
Wanna race?

How about $5 to whoever's runs first?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Mach10 wrote:Which one's the show-me state?

heheheh...
Missouri, I think.
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

I'm in.

I've got a head start on yaz, though...

But I've completely ripped apart my wiring harness, and I'm doing it from scratch. :thumbleft:
slow'n'steady

Post by slow'n'steady »

Aaron: $5 to whichever of us finishes first. OK

i guess i better get those damn harnesses sent out!! and by running first, you mean driving down the street or just RUNNING? :thumbup:
Last edited by slow'n'steady on Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

First person to post a DYNO sheet collect $5 from the others.

How's that sound?

Aaron's got people helping... I've got nobody, and I'm redesigning my whole electrical system.

How's that sound for a friendly wager?
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

Mach10 wrote:First person to post a DYNO sheet collect $5 from the others.

How's that sound?

Aaron's got people helping... I've got nobody, and I'm redesigning my whole electrical system.

How's that sound for a friendly wager?
first to post a dyno shoeing more peak hp/tq than a stock motor, hows that sound.
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

Why? Except for cleaning up the radii on the LIM, my motor's bone stock. God only knows what it'll actually do ON the car (probably not much... But I wanted the practice). :scratch:

Dyno's about the right way to prove that the swap is in, and running right. Not just IN THE CAR.

:thumbleft:
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

Mach10 wrote:Why?

and running right.

:thumbleft:
you answerd your own question
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

No, I know the dyno's a good idea. I meant why should it be higher than stock? I'd say AT stock or better. Anything lower means back to the drawing board.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

no ps pump= more power
just being installed in a fiero = 100hp more, look at the sbc crowd.
slow'n'steady

Post by slow'n'steady »

uhm... dont think ill be able to afford a trip to the dyno after i finish it. plus, i think the closest dyno is in Chicago.

how about video footage. unless someone knows a cheap dyno place near Hiawatha, IA