all Aluminum 2point8 prototype race engine???

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

toddshotrods

Post by toddshotrods »

Got it, thanks Will. I went back to the other thread and looked at Shaun's block and see the difference. The prototype block is a nice looking piece, great find.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:This prototype block seems to be set up like a TDC with a single gallery next to the cam that sends a passage up to a removable valley tray that has the lifter bosses.
Speaking of which... has anyone compared this to a 4point9 block? How does the oiling system in that engine work, compared to this one? The 4pointX's have a removable valley tray also.

Are the liners pressed in?

The only feature this block seems to be lacking to be a V6 version of the 4point9 is external headbolts.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:This prototype block seems to be set up like a TDC with a single gallery next to the cam that sends a passage up to a removable valley tray that has the lifter bosses.
Speaking of which... has anyone compared this to a 4point9 block? How does the oiling system in that engine work, compared to this one? The 4pointX's have a removable valley tray also.

Are the liners pressed in?

The only feature this block seems to be lacking to be a V6 version of the 4point9 is external headbolts.
Di you just call my new engine a lesser 4.9 Ill kill your ass dead.

I have a 4.9 torn down at home and will make comparisons when I go home, but that may not be for 2 weeks, and I have finals coming up.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

p8ntman442 wrote: I have finals coming up.
Good luck!

Since that prototype block was from the time period after the 4.X series was introduced, but before the really modern engines were introduced (starting with the Northstar, then LS1, then Ecotec), it probably shares considerable design thought with the 4.X
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

While sorting through the stuff I got, looking to make sure I had all the head bolts, It dawned on me that I better make sure this engine has the bosses for the starter for a fiero. Good thing, it does. It does not however have the boss on the other side, no provision for this to be a fwd engine. Ohh well, dont matter to me. and yes I have all the head bolts.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I hope you mean "no provision for this to be a RWD engine"...
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

ummm, I mean it can be used in a fiero rwd, but not an s10 rwd, so yeah I guess its a fwd engine.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

block stripped weighs 40 lbs. When was the last time you curled a 2.8 with one arm. Im a little scared cause the sleves are part of the casting, there alluminum, and there are 2 spots where there are air pockets left from the castings, which left holes about 1mm in diameter in the sleve half way down the block. The rings and bearings all show very little wear like they were only run on the dyno. The rings have GM stamped on them to indicate the top. Anyone know how much a set of gm rings costs? The hatching on the cylinder walls is still evident, but not new. The oil system goes from the main bearing on the flywheel side, up a tube to the cam oiling tube which is intercepted halfway through by the tube to oil the lifter bores (stock 2.8 lifters fit) then the oil is dropped out a hole to the side of the block where there is a boss for maybee an oil cooler and then returned to the block. Here is a pic of the boss, not sure what its for, Ill most likely run an oil cooler, since the sleves are alluminum and the heat needs to be disapated.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

That's insane.

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

That boss was for a mechanical fuel pump. You won't need to use it. My block doesnt' even have the hole machined.

That allows you to run a carb setup with the pump on the block instead of inline or in the tank.

Nice pics man.

and at 40 lbs thats lighter then my block even. About 19 lbs or so.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Aluminum blocks rule.

I can pick up my Northstar block and tote it around pretty easily... not bad for a V8.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:That boss was for a mechanical fuel pump. You won't need to use it. My block doesnt' even have the hole machined.

That allows you to run a carb setup with the pump on the block instead of inline or in the tank.

Nice pics man.

and at 40 lbs thats lighter then my block even. About 19 lbs or so.
Did your block have alluminum or steel cylinder walls? 19 lbs is hard to lose. I have the pics of it on a bathroom scale, and I know it to be acurate to atleast +- 5lbs, cause I got on it myself. I will have the machine shop weigh it to be completely sure, but it shure felt like one of the 45lbders I use at the gym.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I have steel liners and I also have a closed deck. That all adds to the extra weight.

Like I said come talk to me when you have to sell those heads.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

so is yours a bowtie block then? sounds stronger than mine, by a lot. Fuck this light shit, this thing is gonna break < 6 months of daily driving. My rear main seal also is a 2 piece, but it also features a fiber rope type seal (didnt fuck with it cause I dont know if I can replace it, but i got pics).

Image is that a comon piece? the rest of the rear main seal looks to be stock 2.8 junk.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

yu[p mine is a bowtie. I dont' know what my rear seal looks like from that angle.

I have never taken the cap off.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

so has anyone ever seen a block like this, I thought you had the same block as me. I would love to find out who R.&M. company is.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

JM bought and sold a block like that several months ago.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

where did it go? and my parts guy at gm told me that I may be able to get that packing for a 3800, is that true?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Me and Jon bought that block like 10 months ago or so. Ended up selling it to a guy in Arizona who is building a race car and wants as little weight as possible.

Its gone. Well at least no longer around either the two of us. I still have a bowtie though.

3800? can't go that big. Nor will it fit theheads or intake from a 3800 either.

dont' trust your gm parts guy he has never seen anything like this before.

There is at least 2 of these blocks out there now. 1 year ago there were none. SO they are popping up. How many were made? hard to say. at least 2 but prob less then 5.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

No, I mean the rope seal packing from a 3.8 might fit my 2.8 block. Anyone know the diameter of the flywheel side of the crank for a 3.8. right after the main bearing?

Do you have any contact info for the guy you sold the block to? Id like to get in touch with him.

As stated before, I talked to a guy on the phone from a race shop, and he said he had seen these blocks before, even in dohc versions, so there were definatly more than 2 made.