Man I want a plane

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Kohburn
FierHo

Man I want a plane

Post by Kohburn »

I've always wanted to fly - more freedom to roam around, like a rollercoaster without the tracks, 300hp can take you to over 300mph, pull up to 9 g's (if only you could stay conscious through that), and other than that big thing we call the ground there isn't much to accidentally run into and there are always parachutes. I also have a facination with any craft that can maneuver like a helicopter.

anyone else fly or want to fly / build a plane some day?
zonyl
not really

Re: Man I want a plane

Post by zonyl »

Kohburn wrote:I've always wanted to fly - more freedom to roam around, like a rollercoaster without the tracks, 300hp can take you to over 300mph, pull up to 9 g's (if only you could stay conscious through that), and other than that big thing we call the ground there isn't much to accidentally run into and there are always parachutes. I also have a facination with any craft that can maneuver like a helicopter.

My parents had a 182 that I would fly VFR on. Its quite fun, although we have had quite a few scary moments. You can accidentally run into some pretty bad storms and microbursts. We ended up getting a stormscope after a microburst just about took us into the ground.

A friend of ours has a couple of restored P51 Mustangs. Really cool to see those fly around the airport. Lets just say this man has a lot of time / cash.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

always loved the p51's - there are midget p51 kitplanes - a little more affordable :D

I'd really like an amphibious plane or somethingthat I could use to take off from the bay and fly out to random lakes in the rocky's etc
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

My father in law has a 206 that he lets me fly when I go and visit. It is pretty fun, he makes me take off and fly. Only thing I don't do is touch down, that part is alittle tricky.

I have an opertunity to work for a company that would pay for half my helicopter licence and I would be a remote oil field operator. Its like a 2 week in 2 week out job but I get to fly instead of drive. I may go for it but it is a cut in pay.

I always figured I will buy an ultralight someday, they can be found for around $15k, cheap.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

I've got a thing for experimental aircraft :thumbleft:
V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

I pulled 8.6 before I got tunnel vision, then negative 4 something and puked.
Fierochic88

Post by Fierochic88 »

My dad has an ultralight. It certainly doesn't pull "g's" and maxes out at about 45 mph but there's something about that "open" plane that's pretty damn cool. I enjoyed going for a ride in it. He has a "trike" which is basically like a hanglider with 2 seats under it and a motor on the back!

Jen
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

V8Mikie wrote:I pulled 8.6 before I got tunnel vision, then negative 4 something and puked.
military background?
Fierochic88 wrote:My dad has an ultralight. It certainly doesn't pull "g's" and maxes out at about 45 mph but there's something about that "open" plane that's pretty damn cool. I enjoyed going for a ride in it. He has a "trike" which is basically like a hanglider with 2 seats under it and a motor on the back!
yeah - anything open feels a lot faster than it necessarily is - plus you can see everything around you

I've been doing research into WIG's (wing-in-ground effect) since they can be liscenced as a boat and thus not need a pilots liscence - they skim a few feet above the water - land and take off from water o or can putz around like a boat. might be a good starting point since I live 1/2 mile form the chesepeake bay , and only a few miles from the patuxent and patomic rivers.
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=63677

Your Fuehrer

Diggity"I want a plane too"Biggity
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Navy NFO training.
500' AGL, 300-360 kts.
Ejection seats.

I'm through flying like that.

I have designs in my head for backpack helicopter and practical jet pack, as well as VTOL personal jet the size of a motorcycle with manual thrust vectoring.
zonyl
not really

Post by zonyl »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Navy NFO training.
500' AGL, 300-360 kts.
Ejection seats.

I have designs in my head for backpack helicopter and practical jet pack, as well as VTOL personal jet the size of a motorcycle with manual thrust vectoring.
Did you see the Mythbuster Episode on the backpack helicopter? I really though it was going to work. Im thinking they needed some bigger props as the hovercraft ones they had are for creating air volume not pressure.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

zonyl wrote:
500' AGL, 300-360 kts.
Ejection seats.

Did you see the Mythbuster Episode on the backpack helicopter? I really though it was going to work. Im thinking they needed some bigger props as the hovercraft ones they had are for creating air volume not pressure.
yeah they need high thrust

and will I've got sketches and math scribbligns in several pads of paper dating back to middle school of various VTOL designs - even started making a scale model some time ago but then life caught up to me and I ran out of spare time..

hoping to be able to get back into tinkering after i get this fiero back together and running this fall - love the fiero but it takes up so much time
zonyl
not really

Post by zonyl »

Kohburn wrote:
zonyl wrote:
500' AGL, 300-360 kts.
Ejection seats.

yeah they need high thrust

and will I've got sketches and math scribbligns in several pads of paper dating back to middle school of various VTOL designs - even started making a scale model some time ago but then life caught up to me and I ran out of spare time..

hoping to be able to get back into tinkering after i get this fiero back together and running this fall - love the fiero but it takes up so much time
I have had similar ambitions and been following the skycar guy since I was in high school. He has been trying to build a VTOL for about 20 years using gas engines. Still has yet to produce a vehicle that is reliable.

http://www.moller.com/skycar/
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

yep i've seen that many times - never heard about a reliability issue though
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

www.airscooter.com

Piston powered helicopters have the highest mishap rate of any kind of aircraft... Turbines and nothing but...
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:www.airscooter.com

Piston powered helicopters have the highest mishap rate of any kind of aircraft... Turbines and nothing but...
isn't the thing in the link piston powered?

have you seen the version of that craft that uses a pulse jet engine on the tip of each blade?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

There were some commercial helicopters made with ramjet engines on the blade tips but they stopped making them because they were too loud. Pretty much a fool proof design, no moving parts. Just needs a small motor to get the blades spinning fast enough for the ramjets to take over.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Only way I would fly a piston powered helicopter is if it had dual magnetos and 2 spark plugs per hole like a cesna, would reduce the chance of engine failure alot. I would probibly invest in a parachute as well if I flew high enough to be able to use one.
EBSB52

Re: Man I want a plane

Post by EBSB52 »

Kohburn wrote:I've always wanted to fly - more freedom to roam around, like a rollercoaster without the tracks, 300hp can take you to over 300mph, pull up to 9 g's (if only you could stay conscious through that), and other than that big thing we call the ground there isn't much to accidentally run into and there are always parachutes. I also have a facination with any craft that can maneuver like a helicopter.

- 9 G's - would require one hell of and acft (1/2 million dollars or more....more likely 1 million $+) - Also, would require a G suit.

- 300HP, maybe with a Glassair or higher. If you're talking 300 HP you're looking at around 1/2 mill as well. Older 182's run about 50k and up with 225HP with a constant speed prop and they're no barn burner - more of a work horse. Operating costs are huge if you fly a lot.

- there isn't much to accidentally run into...... you'd think, but read FAA reports, it's amazing what stupid people do.

I'm not sure if you have a particular acft in mind, but the figures you have listed are pretty extreme for teh average poorman. A Glassair or Lanceair is what you are close to there, which comes in a kit and would cost 100k with a lot of hours of work and no avionics. If you could settle with 150HP and 120knots, 3 G's then you could buy an old 172 for 35k, somewhat cheap operating costs.

If you want the shit scared out of you then try skydiving. I have about 400 jumps and it's still fun. I am a licensed pilot but can't afford to fly now, but I will get back into it soon.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

Kohburn wrote:I've got a thing for experimental aircraft :thumbleft:
Considered to be the best all around homebuilt is the RV series. I actually bought an RV-4 tail kit 15 years ago, but never started it and sold it.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/

RV-8 quickbuild is 26k, which requires 800 hours if you know acft manufacturing processes/blueprints/etc... Then 25k for a new motor, 2k for a prop, unless you go constant speed then it's 5k, 3k - ????? for avionics..... get the picture? And that's a budget acft kit. It does 200 + MPH tho, very reliable and sturdy. Figure 60-70k if you go with new stuff and do it right.

Get the idea? This is such a fucking expensive sport that the poor man is out.

I agree tho, I am a homebuilder too. I will but an old 182 jump plane when I get my new career,but I want to build an 8.