good piston/ring selection?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

slow'n'steady

good piston/ring selection?

Post by slow'n'steady »

Hey, i just wanted to make sure this would work good on my DOHC before i order them... Main thing i guess is the pstin rings as i am not sure what material is best for those on a boosted motor... I was going to go with a 93mm bore i couldn't find any rings (neither could tech supprt) so i went to 92.75mm bore (I was told the block could go up to +.040)

Pistons:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku
(it says 1.2mm 1.5mm and 4mm but then it also says 1.2mm 1.5mm and 3mm for piston rings. I called Tech support and they assure me it is a 3mm NOT a 4mm so lets hope...)

Rings:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Yeah those parts are correct, those are the Sealed Power 96-97 style pistons and rings.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

As a professional engine machinist, I'm curious about how much boost you anticipate running, as I'm starting on a similar build for myself, and I'm planning to spend a bit over $700 for a set of JE forged pistons, with JE also supplying the rings. I figure this is cheaper than buying non-forged pistons twice, figuring in a new set of gaskets, and so on. But whichever way you go, I hope it works out. -Atilla
slow'n'steady

Post by slow'n'steady »

Atilla the Fun wrote:As a professional engine machinist, I'm curious about how much boost you anticipate running -Atilla
8-10 daily, 13-15 at the track

Atilla the Fun wrote:I'm planning to spend a bit over $700 for a set of JE forged pistons, I figure this is cheaper than buying non-forged pistons twice -Atilla
for $700, i could buy like 4 sets of the ones i am looking at. I plan to spend quite a bit of money on a tune so i do not need forged pistons. Detonation is really the only thing that will hurt a piston. It will just as easily burn a hole through a forged piston...
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I'd agree with your points as valid, If unlike me you don't have frequent issues with getting a tankful of bad gas. But thanks for your response!
-Atilla