Quitting Habits

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Quitting Habits

Post by Aaron »

So ever since I can remember I have chewed my finger nails. I am pretty bad about it, they are rather short and ugly looking, and occasionally go so far as to bleed. I don't know why I do it, just habit. But I do it more when I am nervous or bored. My Dad also does this, but not as bad.

I think girls find it really unattractive, and it embarrasses me. I go as far as to try and hide my hands whenever near a girl.

So with a cute date this Wednesday, the first in a while out here in redneckville oklahoma, I've decided to stop biting my nails. I was able to stop for about a week last year, but started soon after.

But now it's for sure, I WILL STOP. I find myself bringing my fingers to my mouth a lot, but so far am able to realize it and catch myself.

I don't know why I posted this, it has just always been a problem with me and I want to stop it, and am serious about it. So wish me luck, or don't, but we will see how I go along.

Any of you have similiar stories? Smoking maybe?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Stick your fingers in your ass crack. That ought to keep you off of them. If not you'll get e-coli and die. Either way, problem solved.

Thumbsucker.
zonyl
not really

Re: Quitting Habits

Post by zonyl »

Aaron wrote:So ever since I can remember I have chewed my finger nails. I am pretty bad about it, they are rather short and ugly looking, and occasionally go so far as to bleed. I don't know why I do it, just habit. But I do it more when I am nervous or bored. My Dad also does this, but not as bad.

I think girls find it really unattractive, and it embarrasses me. I go as far as to try and hide my hands whenever near a girl.

So with a cute date this Wednesday, the first in a while out here in redneckville oklahoma, I've decided to stop biting my nails. I was able to stop for about a week last year, but started soon after.

But now it's for sure, I WILL STOP. I find myself bringing my fingers to my mouth a lot, but so far am able to realize it and catch myself.

I don't know why I posted this, it has just always been a problem with me and I want to stop it, and am serious about it. So wish me luck, or don't, but we will see how I go along.

Any of you have similiar stories? Smoking maybe?
I had a similar problem and found the best way to beat it was to buy some executive toys, which I play with subconsciously quite a bit now. (Slinky and Magnetic toys are favorites)

A majority of the people that visit my office will pick up something while talking to me and play with it as well.

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Wow!

That's a really interesting way of dealing with it!

As a result of the adhd, my hands get "bored" if you will. I just may try that. I know my desk right now doesn't have anything to play with, but when I do, I definately don't leave it alone. For example a remote control. I will sit and figit and play with the thing, even when the stereo it controls is off.

I'm gonna go to Wal Mart and buy a few small cheap things and give that a try, thanks for the advice!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

They also make this shit you can paint your nails with (it's clear) and it tastes horrible! However, if you eat with your hands, it's not recommended...

your paranoid leader

DiggityBiggity
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Take your date to this, maybe your date will see your thumbsucking as charming and it will get you laid and you will stop spending time here.

http://www.sonyclassics.com/thumbsucker/

I'm excited, how about you?
Oversteer

Post by Oversteer »

You should pick up smoking, that should help get you off the nail bitting. Worked for me, best thing I ever did.
He called the shit poop
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

Why dont you just wear some fuckin gloves?
KissMySSFiero

Post by KissMySSFiero »

or slit your wrists.

quit being a bitch.

Sorry, I should have used a capital "Q".
Lex

Post by Lex »

Earl loves you no matter what your hands look like

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

derangedsheep wrote:Why dont you just wear some fuckin gloves?
Tried that, the weird looks were worse than having ugly nails...hehe

Stimpy, I didn't click the link, so everything else you said didn't make sense.

I hate smoking, so I'll venture away from that...

As for the nail paint that tastes bad, I would conveniantly forget to put it on my nails.

Earl is so sweet and sensative :la:
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

Get a big fucking gun. Then proceed to field strip, clean, and reassemble it over and over. If you do it anyways, shoot yourself in the foot. If you forget again, shoot yourself in the nuts. You won't forget anymore.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Blue Shift wrote:Get a big fucking gun. Then proceed to field strip, clean, and reassemble it over and over. If you do it anyways, shoot yourself in the foot. If you forget again, shoot yourself in the face. You won't forget anymore.
Fixed.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Buy a small swiss army knife with scissors. Use the scissors to trim your nails and generally keep your finger hygene good. The knife will be useful for other things as well.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

stimpy wrote:Stick your fingers in your ass crack. That ought to keep you off of them. If not you'll get e-coli and die. Either way, problem solved.

Thumbsucker.
Stimpy, you're getting pretty belligerent...
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Getting belligerent? Damn, I thought I'd been putting out a good effort at that all along. I usually do belligerent so well.

But the fingers in the asscrack would work, you know. Plus he'd be ready for the Dirty Sanchez. And if she goes for that, she won't mind a little thumbsucking.
z.MacK
Use a smaller avatar

Post by z.MacK »

Oversteer wrote:You should pick up smoking, that should help get you off the nail bitting. Worked for me, best thing I ever did.
I double that advice.

A pack of marlboro reds daily should calm you the fuck down.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Anything from Philip Morris (MO) is cool.
z.MacK wrote:
Oversteer wrote:You should pick up smoking, that should help get you off the nail bitting. Worked for me, best thing I ever did.
I double that advice.

A pack of marlboro reds daily should calm you the fuck down.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

:thumbleft: I say go unfiltered. Makes you look more dangerous. Preferably Camels, but Pall Malls will do. If it doesn't make you stop, the stench will be so unbearable and the picking tabacco off your tongue all the time should prevent any female worries.

If you want my serious advice (which I doubt, as every time I've tried to give you real advice you act like I'm some kind of retard talking to my foot) I'll tell you. I quit smoking this year after smoking for 20 years. Honestly I think shooting yourself in the face is a better call then taking up smoking, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about quitting. You'll never be able to make permanant changes in your life if you are trying to make them to please other people. Go back and read that sentance again, It's important. If you're trying to stop this behavior to impress a female, you may be able to limit it in the short term enough to get your lap piston oiled, but you'll likely return to that behavior because it's something that you, on some level, need and enjoy.

The only way that you are going to be able to stop this behavior is to teach yourself that it is a counter productive behavior that you do not enjoy or want in your life. Once you are able to quit for yourself, it will take. The day I quit cigs, I just stoppped. No patch, no gum, no tapering off, no coating my cigarrette butts in nasty tasting goo. I told myself that that period of my life is over. I have absolutely no desire to smoke a cigarrette.

All teasing aside, the nailbiting is a behavior that people do notice, and it will cause you difficulty in your professional and social life. It's obvious by your replies to others responses that you aren't ready to give it up for yourself, you may want to explore hypnosis.
Oversteer

Post by Oversteer »

Good job on quiting smoking Stimpy. I have tried for more reasons than one, but I am on the road so much, smoking is my only friend, but a bad friend at that.

At 10 bucks a pack that hurts too, I guess I will quit soon, or at least try again.
He called the shit poop