Custom Pushrod Intake made by Will.

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Shaun41178(2)

Custom Pushrod Intake made by Will.

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

The ideas behind building a dual plenum manifold are:

* Eliminate or mitigate the 135 degree turn that the runners make as they bend back under the upper manifold and go toward their destination ports on the opposite side of the engine.
* Eliminate the intake throat constriction just behind the throttle body in the stock manifold.
* Shorten intake runners significantly, biasing the VE curve toward high RPM.
* Increase plenum volume significantly, also biasing the VE curve toward high RPM.

Final result.

sorry for the crappy pic but it was from my phone.

The tb on it now is a DM ported to 57mm but I plan to put on a 62mm tb shortly. I have started to tune on 15-16 lbs of boost, and I am now running 30 lb injectors. I blew a vacuum line off the other night on the higher boost as I didn't have that particular line zip tied. It was fine on 10 lbs.

Here is a video of me swapping from the stock to the custom intake
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/inta ... 203986.htm
Last edited by Shaun41178(2) on Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Wow thats a cool looking manifold. I'd watch the vid, but I don't have a 60* anymore. I'd be more interested in how you made it.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Ask Will.. :afrocool:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

yea Will made it for me.

Ok well I tried uploading it to youtube and the video is too long and streetfire isn't working right now. Other options? Its about 11 minutes long
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

I don't care about a video about how it's swapped. A video on the dyno or the track would be much better :thumbleft:

Seriously though, I wonder what kind of power differences the intake and TB have given you.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:I'd be more interested in how you made it.
Easy. It's a couple of boxes welded to the stock lower (But with the stock lower flanges cut off), then some pipes welded to the Y. And it's steel. Yuck.

However, I bet it does perform much better than the stocker, and marginally better than his previous starship enterprise.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Aaron wrote:
Easy. It's a couple of boxes welded to the stock lower (But with the stock lower flanges cut off), then some pipes welded to the Y. And it's steel. Yuck.
It's all aluminum, and it's not easy (mostly because it's aluminum).
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Are the pipes aluminum too? Welding looks like steel MIG to me.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

its aluminum and tigged. All aluminum weighs much less then stock setup. TEh heaviest part on the Y section is the flange that bolts the tb.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:its aluminum and tigged. All aluminum weighs much less then stock setup. TEh heaviest part on the Y section is the flange that bolts the tb.
Good to hear. I would have left it bare aluminum/polished though personally, I like the alum look. I'll have pics up shortly of the intake arm I made for Lonzo's DOHC car. Same concept.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

not that you guys want to watch but I finally got streetfire to take it.

Total time to swap was about 45 minutes but I shortened it in editing to 11 min.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/inta ... 203986.htm
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

I watched it, nice looking intake :thumbleft:
whipped

Post by whipped »

hah... instrumental weapon of choice...
CincinnatiFiero

Haha, loved the ferris buellers day off music at the end. Hows it run?
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

You need an air ratchet bad! Im curious as to how much of a difference that intake made on a turbo car. I also was wondering if not having any runners on the new upper hurts the low end at all?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

It runs good. I haven't put many miles or have much drive time on it. Maybe 20 minutes total and 2-3 WOT pulls but not past 5k rpm. Its needs a retune and one time at around 4500 rpm it felt like it had a dead spot in the powerband. Sort of like a power fall off but not really sure what it was. It could be a resonance issue with the intake but not sure. I haven't wound it out really to see how it pulls up top.

There is a bit less low end tq according to my butt dyno but there is still plenty there. I unknowningly left a stop sign in third gear instead of first and the car didn't stall out and pulled through without even giving it much gas.

I need to get it back to a dyno to get some logs and such but with the dyno I normally go to closed, I have to take it to another shop with a different dyno so the numbers won't be a accurate way to compare the numbers.

Boost will also be going to 14 and 16 if I can make it happen with my new injectors as my 24lbs are maxed out on the current 10 lbs
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:
Like Steven said, it's aluminum. I learned a lot building it. Getting the flanges on the Y-pipe to mate to the flanges on the plena perfectly was actually not easy. I did eventually figure it out and now there's no mismatch whatsoever.

Forming the aluminum to make the Y was another challenge.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:It runs good. I haven't put many miles or have much drive time on it. Maybe 20 minutes total and 2-3 WOT pulls but not past 5k rpm. Its needs a retune and one time at around 4500 rpm it felt like it had a dead spot in the powerband. Sort of like a power fall off but not really sure what it was. It could be a resonance issue with the intake but not sure. I haven't wound it out really to see how it pulls up top.

There is a bit less low end tq according to my butt dyno but there is still plenty there. I unknowningly left a stop sign in third gear instead of first and the car didn't stall out and pulled through without even giving it much gas.

I need to get it back to a dyno to get some logs and such but with the dyno I normally go to closed, I have to take it to another shop with a different dyno so the numbers won't be a accurate way to compare the numbers.

Boost will also be going to 14 and 16 if I can make it happen with my new injectors as my 24lbs are maxed out on the current 10 lbs
On the plus side, injector swaps are now a lot easier! :thumbleft: I thought you had a set of 42's ready to go in?

I'm really interested in hearing about how all the little bits went together.

-I see you put the IAT in the end of the front plenum. Did you have a bung welded in or just tap the end plate directly?
-Did you have to change your charge pipe routing?
-Were you able to use the throttle cable bracket I sent with it or is that a different bracket?
-How'd the TB adapter work out?
-How well did the pressure ports work out?
-Overall, how easy or hard was each part and what could be better about it?

-And, of course, the big one: How does it perform? :thumbleft:
CincinnatiFiero

Most of Shauns racing is from a roll so the low end probably isn't that big of a deal. Was the stock manifold you had on there before ported (DM or similar) or was it stock stock.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I literally laughed out loud 5 seconds into the video haha! You stab at him every chance you get eh? lol