I'm fixing my turd

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

THE PUNISHER

I'm fixing my turd

Post by THE PUNISHER »

I was busy with GRM <--- Then I sold it
Then I bought a 964
Then I fixed and finished my corvair about a month ago
Now it's the Fiero's turn.

My northstar is dead, so I'm gonna replace it (not with another N*)

Forgot how easy it is to work on. Had the motor out in a few hours.

The what kind of motor thing has been done to death. I would love an LS, but refuse to fork out the cash for an adapter and the rest of the BS. I liked the car best with the 6.

so now it's a 3900 or I may just copy Sinisters setup with a manual ... I dunno.. It seems fairly straight forward and best of all it's been done.
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: I'm fixing my turd

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Cool. Good Luck!
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Nice! Welcome back to the game. Can't wait to see how this goes.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Remind us what problems you had with the Northstar swap previously?

What computer were you using with the Northstar? I'm having VERY good results with the Shelby computer.

If engine management was your problem, the Shelby unit will solve it.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

Holly commander Piece of shit ass fuck monkey balls waste of money junk die in a fire mongoloid computer... My dick has more computing power then that paint by numbers goat turd.

I see howell now makes a harness for a car w/o electronic transmission.
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Sounds like you need a Shelby computer. Then your car can be tuned with HP Tuners just like anything with an LS1.

Talk to Sinister
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Good to see the Fiero getting another chance at life JM.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

at this point I really do want to try something new.. Northstars with low mileage are as rare as they come
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

if you go the 3900 route, do you plan to keep VVT and the variable intake? if not, what are your plans for engine management?

goodluck!
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

THE PUNISHER wrote:at this point I really do want to try something new.. Northstars with low mileage are as rare as they come
They're hardly as cheap as Chevies to rebuild, but I'm sure they're hella cheaper than 964's... Got pics of the Porsche?
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

Bilstiens
Cup pipe
Cat delete
Steve wong chip
LSD
short shifter

absolutely love it
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Welcome back man. I'd personally stick with the Northstar, especially since there are so many more engine management options than there was 6 or 7 years ago.

Sinister and Will have the Shelby computer figured out, if that was all that was wrong with your car then why not stick with the N*?

I agree that the V-6 was the engine I had the most fun with, but it was also the only engine that I had running right. That $3500 POS Big Stuff 3 I was running ruined the car for me...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

You had the Y2K+ engine, though, right?

Stick with the '93-'99 engines for easiest engine management.

The '05+ engines have 58x trigger wheels, which further broadens engine management options. These are available in both FWD (non-VVT) and RWD (VVT) versions.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

To me AkursedX and sinisters turbo cars are the most impressize I have seen in 20 years of ownership. I was using a 97 northstar in my car. I missed the v6.. Now older and a little wiser I hope to build something comfortable, reliable and semi fast...
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

That pretty much describes a stock N* in a nutshell lol. The turbo 6 will be much quicker and potentially less reliable.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

I got $50 scrap value for the northstar today.. (not kidding) I am still leaning towards a turbo 6.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

You should do a LFX 3.6L. something like 323 HP stock, no need for exhaust manifolds so it will be great for packaging, all aluminum so less weight than the normal V6 swaps.. Trifecta Performance does tuning for that PCM. That motor or a variation of that motor is comming in a twin turbo configuration with like 420 HP ( 2014 MY CTS )

I'm currently doing a L36 3800 swap with plans to turbocharge it in the wife's 88 GT and all I can think of is fuck it's heavy....fuck it's heavy....fuuuuuck...I'm all for the 3800 and it's power / reliability potential but no way in fuck will I put that heavy beast in my 88, whatever goes into that has to be an all aluminum motor.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

jelly2m81 wrote:You should do a LFX 3.6 [...] Trifecta Performance does tuning for that PCM.
Good to know. I would love to put one of those motors in something, but I didn't know the PCM had been cracked yet. Was that motor available with a manual transmission in any transverse application?

EDIT: Looks like no.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Series8217 wrote:
jelly2m81 wrote:You should do a LFX 3.6 [...] Trifecta Performance does tuning for that PCM.
Good to know. I would love to put one of those motors in something, but I didn't know the PCM had been cracked yet. Was that motor available with a manual transmission in any transverse application?

EDIT: Looks like no.
As far as emissions legality goes, the only thing that matters is manual or automatic, right?

The Saab 9-3 2009+ uses the F40 with the high feature V6 in 2.8 litre turbo port injected form. That trans should bolt right up to LLT, LFX and whatever the DI Turbo engine is (LFW?)
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: As far as emissions legality goes, the only thing that matters is manual or automatic, right?

The Saab 9-3 2009+ uses the F40 with the high feature V6 in 2.8 litre turbo port injected form. That trans should bolt right up to LLT, LFX and whatever the DI Turbo engine is (LFW?)
As far as emissions legality goes, an LFX can't be used as a manual since it never was available with one. The LP9 would be a cool swap.

The LP9 is the turbo 2.8. There is no DI turbo HFV6 besides the upcoming LF3 3.6 twin-turbo, which used in the CTS and XTS.