New Caddy XLR not what I expected

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

EBSB52

New Caddy XLR not what I expected

Post by EBSB52 »

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/mod ... Powertrain

I thought it was a lot more car than that. Regular N*, 5-speed auto, booring..... as much as I love the N*, I was waiting for the 12 cylinder N*, but I guess they decided not to manufacture that after the made a prototype.

3700 lbs
320 HP
Auto tranny
............yawn
78k and up.... paleeese. I would rather have a lot of cars before that for 78k. The 505HP Corvette for starters, but then the Acura NSX would be a sweet car too.

Unless I missed something, does it come as an option with the V-12? It would be a fun swap, but it would cost 10k for a good used one and another 16k for a tranny to hold the power, so it's kinda moot anyway.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

Rear wheel drive - cool. SO now you can do a swap into a car and take the tranny with ya. It would be cool to take everything over as far as the guages, and all wiring too, so maybe not have to do any computer mods.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Hmmm. I was under the impression you could get a 350 or 400hp small block and a Corvette 6-speed?

I like the looks. But as far as 320hp for 3700lbs, PLEASE. Our LT1 Camaro would've handed that thing its ass on a silver platter.

I somehow doubt GM is able to get it right, but as far as the high end 5-speed manumatics go, I was pretty impressed actually. I still like sticks better, but the step/triptronic trannies had good ratios, allowed for a lot of driver control, and were smooth. The Porsche was really enjoyable in manual mode. In auto mode it wasn't good, in fact it sucks. It tries to sense when you're driving "in a spirited form," and fails miserably. It holds the car in gear at high rpm at all the wrong times, and is very hard to get to downshift. But slide it over in manual, use the steering wheel paddles, and my only complaint is that it still tries to 2nd gear start. And in a turbo DOHC V6, the low end isn't impressive, and 2nd gear starts aren't cool.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

When I was at SEMA, I was checking out RSM and the Vortech charged 3900, and talking to Szabo. He said that when he first got his XLR, he was so disappointed with the performance that he put it in the garage and drove his vortech charged Fiero that summer.

He says it goes much better now. Lots of potential in the chassis.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

It's a C6 chassis.
The Northstar is heavier than LS2, but I thought it was more like 3500 than 3700.

Either way, it's faster than it's the car against which it was intended to compete: the Mercedes SL500.

The XLR-V is nice, though... Supercharged with 469 HP by the new SAE standard.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Either way, it's faster than it's the car against which it was intended to compete: the Mercedes SL500.
What happens when it lines up against a non-cheapess Benx, like a 55 or 65?

It gets its ass owned, that's what.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:It's a C6 chassis.
The Northstar is heavier than LS2, but I thought it was more like 3500 than 3700.

Either way, it's faster than it's the car against which it was intended to compete: the Mercedes SL500.

The Caddy site I posted said something like 3670ish, so I rounded up to 3700. Seems like a lot for a car that small. Do you think a 50speed N* Fiero would beat it, even with the 300HP stock N*? WOuldn't that be funny shit, some corp punk-ass rich fag with his little stripper whore next to him comes up to a light next to me and my stock and in need of a paint job Fiero GT, revs motors, then the Fiero beats him!!! Then the little dancer whore gets into my car..... oh wait, that wouldn't happen, I'm still poor... :(

The Mercedes is prolly 4500 lbs tho, so ya, I like the caddy. What happened to their XV12 or whatever they called that N*v12? That would be sweet in that car w/RWD.

My theory is that GM fags don't want anything to beat their vette, so they didn't use it.

XLR-V? Does it have an Eaton SC? What capacity? That would be a fun swap, prolly cost way more than it's worth tho.... I'd rather build a stock N* a little to get to 469. Shit, cams and head work gets you there and the tranny can't take any more than that anyway. Kinda cool status to have a SC N* back there and the torque would be schweet.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

aaron wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Either way, it's faster than it's the car against which it was intended to compete: the Mercedes SL500.
What happens when it lines up against a non-cheapess Benx, like a 55 or 65?

It gets its ass owned, that's what.
Aaron, stock being a fucktard.
("Don't be gay, Sparks. Don't be gay.")

What happens if an SL500 runs into an XLR-V? They both go to the body shop, that's what. But if they race, the SL500 gets owned.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

EBSB52 wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:It's a C6 chassis.

The Caddy site I posted said something like 3670ish, so I rounded up to 3700. Seems like a lot for a car that small. Do you think a 50speed N* Fiero would beat it, even with the 300HP stock N*? WOuldn't that be funny shit, some corp punk-ass rich fag with his little stripper whore next to him comes up to a light next to me and my stock and in need of a paint job Fiero GT, revs motors, then the Fiero beats him!!! Then the little dancer whore gets into my car..... oh wait, that wouldn't happen, I'm still poor... :(

The Mercedes is prolly 4500 lbs tho, so ya, I like the caddy. What happened to their XV12 or whatever they called that N*v12? That would be sweet in that car w/RWD.

My theory is that GM fags don't want anything to beat their vette, so they didn't use it.

XLR-V? Does it have an Eaton SC? What capacity? That would be a fun swap, prolly cost way more than it's worth tho.... I'd rather build a stock N* a little to get to 469. Shit, cams and head work gets you there and the tranny can't take any more than that anyway. Kinda cool status to have a SC N* back there and the torque would be schweet.
XV-12 was a concept engine. GM doesn't have the sack to bring out a V12.

supercharged N* is 4.4 litres... slightly smaller bore with thicker liners, sand cast closed deck block, piston oil squirters, supercharger with integral Laminova A/W intercooler cores. 450+ HP with 420ish torque and a Caddy idle.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

aaron wrote:Hmmm. I was under the impression you could get a 350 or 400hp small block and a Corvette 6-speed?

I like the looks. But as far as 320hp for 3700lbs, PLEASE. Our LT1 Camaro would've handed that thing its ass on a silver platter.

I somehow doubt GM is able to get it right, but as far as the high end 5-speed manumatics go, I was pretty impressed actually. I still like sticks better, but the step/triptronic trannies had good ratios, allowed for a lot of driver control, and were smooth. The Porsche was really enjoyable in manual mode. In auto mode it wasn't good, in fact it sucks. It tries to sense when you're driving "in a spirited form," and fails miserably. It holds the car in gear at high rpm at all the wrong times, and is very hard to get to downshift. But slide it over in manual, use the steering wheel paddles, and my only complaint is that it still tries to 2nd gear start. And in a turbo DOHC V6, the low end isn't impressive, and 2nd gear starts aren't cool.
Shit, a stock, 33k GTO would hand that 80k POS it’s ass. What a fucking status-loving POS that caddy is and it could be all that with the V-12. It would beat the fuck out of anything German if they went that way and there would be lines of people waiting to buy it for 125k. I’m thinking the gov asked GM not to make the V-12.… fuck…..
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

EBSB52 wrote: The Mercedes is prolly 4500 lbs tho, so ya, I like the caddy.
Wouldn't doubt it, but they feel a lot lighter, and oh my God do they move!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

EBSB52 wrote: Shit, a stock, 33k GTO would hand that 80k POS it’s ass. What a fucking status-loving POS that caddy is and it could be all that with the V-12. It would beat the fuck out of anything German if they went that way and there would be lines of people waiting to buy it for 125k. I’m thinking the gov asked GM not to make the V-12.… fuck…..
How much power was the V12 proto'd to put out?

Cuz I doubt it'd do much when faced with a 996T or a 65, but who knows.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

aaron wrote:
EBSB52 wrote: Shit, a stock, 33k GTO would hand that 80k POS it’s ass. What a fucking status-loving POS that caddy is and it could be all that with the V-12. It would beat the fuck out of anything German if they went that way and there would be lines of people waiting to buy it for 125k. I’m thinking the gov asked GM not to make the V-12.… fuck…..
How much power was the V12 proto'd to put out?

Cuz I doubt it'd do much when faced with a 996T or a 65, but who knows.
750H / 450TQ

Weird HP to TQ ratio. They say it made 90% of its power @1500RPM.

Constraint with a Fiero swap would be tranyy and axles. They say it was compact, slightly larger than the V8 N*.

http://www.caddyinfo.com/xv12.htm

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automot ... page=3&c=y

If that happens, Cien definitely has a future, albeit an expensive one. Cox describes his design as a "very high-end vehicle." That's a clear understatement. It would almost certainly carry a price tag upward of $250,000, if it sees production.

Fuck that, 250k. Maybe 150.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I think the actual packaging comparison was to a Vortec 7400 (IE, current incarnation of BBC).

The concept did not sound like a very engine. 450 ftlbs is just pathetic out of 7.5 litres. It should be making 100 more than that. And of course if it can't make any torque, it's got to spin forever to make HP... 750 HP with 450 TQ indicates a 9.5K redline, which is unreasonable for a production engine, especially from GM and ESPECIALLY from Cadillac.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I think the actual packaging comparison was to a Vortec 7400 (IE, current incarnation of BBC).

The concept did not sound like a very engine. 450 ftlbs is just pathetic out of 7.5 litres. It should be making 100 more than that. And of course if it can't make any torque, it's got to spin forever to make HP... 750 HP with 450 TQ indicates a 9.5K redline, which is unreasonable for a production engine, especially from GM and ESPECIALLY from Cadillac.
I couldn't agree more.

Furthermore, I know GM's problem, and the N* is it. It is expensivel, uses new technology when real racers use pushrods, and doesn't make ANY torque.

4.9 for the future of GM!!!

Yah, so I agree with you...lol
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I think the actual packaging comparison was to a Vortec 7400 (IE, current incarnation of BBC).

Well yea, it sounds like grand prix engine. Prolly not real roadable, as you say, 450TQ is weak and unless gearing compensated it would be sad off the line and hard to drive in the city with the need for RPM, especially considering the asswipes that would be driving it. It's impractical, but it would be cool to get your hands on one of those motors.

Did it really have a 9500 red line? Or ws that the guage potential? As for the 750 HP, remember, HP sells cars and TQ wins races, so it is a marketing marvel due to its status potential.

I wonder what the bore/stroke is on that? Is it oversquare? Prolly. If they make it, it should have a 180 degree crank, what do ay think? If it was transverse it could drop under a Fiero....
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

aaron wrote:

I couldn't agree more.

Furthermore, I know GM's problem, and the N* is it. It is expensivel, uses new technology when real racers use pushrods, and doesn't make ANY torque.

Peice of shit for the future of GM!!!

Yah, so I agree with you...lol
HUH? The V8 N* is a dream engine. It's light, and it can spin to 8k with just cams and springs, what does it take for a V8 pushrod motor to do that? What would it take to spin an LS-1 to that and be able to do it for years like that and not come apart?

real racers use pushrods

DO what , huh, WTF? So grand prix racers aren't real? That's a, grab a Bud, hate on blacks in the south, brush your 1 remaining tooth, wave your Rebel Flag mentality. There isNO best engine/best car. There are, however, best engines/cars for a given style of racing. I've had conversations with inbreds who say motorcycle roadracing is for pussies becuase their track averages are just above 100mph at some tracks. WHat they fail to see is that for 1/2 the track they're dragging their ass on the ground, and for 125/250cc GP bikes, their elbows.

A N* is a great roadracing engine, an LT-1, LS-1, WS-6, etc, is a great drag racing engine - I owned an LT-1 and loved it. But what do I know about real racing / real dangerous sports, all I do is skydive and I used to roadrace GSXR's..... and all this time I thought I was a real racer.....

I've had 2 chops (cutaways) while skydiving and 15 years ago slammed the ground at about 80-85 in a corner on a GSXR 1100, compressed 2 vertibrae, lower lumbar. I've drag raced many times, done 160MPH on a bike wearing shorts and t-shirt several times and never had an issue, so I fail to see how the N*, a roadracing engineered engine, is not for real racing. I like NASCAR, I even watch drag racing if I'm bored, but I think ALL racing is real if you're there and you're intense.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Those vettes winning Le Mans must be flukes.

*smirk*
EBSB52 wrote:
A N* is a great roadracing engine, an LT-1, LS-1, WS-6, etc, is a great drag racing engine - I owned an LT-1 and loved it. But what do I know about real racing / real dangerous sports, all I do is skydive and I used to roadrace GSXR's..... and all this time I thought I was a real racer.....
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

404: Sarcasm not found.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

EBSB52 wrote:

Did it really have a 9500 red line?

That was a bit of an exaggeration, but with only 450 ftlbs available, it would need to spin to 8.8 to make 750 HP.