Pics of a cracked-open Muncie 4spd inside

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

MNFatz

Pics of a cracked-open Muncie 4spd inside

Post by MNFatz »

I'm in the process of rebuilding a Muncie 4 speed. This tranny is a 3.65 out of an 85 GT. I've HOPEFULLY got a 3.32 on the way from Georgia that I'm going to swap the internals out of.

I've got the Kenne-moore shim selector and I originally planned to do a full rebuild and document how to use that tool. I took the cases to a transmission shop and the guy recommended leaving the bearing races be. I'm just going to replace the cone bearings on all the shafts and the seals at this point.

Actually, all of the bearings except for the bellhousing side final drive looked fine. That bearing was on it's way out. The input shaft seal and axle seals were all shot. Synchros look new, but I don't have anything to compare them to.

The case goes to the bead blaster tomorrow.

Image Image Image Image

-fatz
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

nice. :thumbleft:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I'd be interested in knowing where you were planning to get the bearings for the rebuild... Most of the suppliers I've asked say that their suppliers recently discontinued the kits due to lack of availability of one or more bearings.

Blocker rings are dealer only and ~$100 each.
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I'd be interested in knowing where you were planning to get the bearings for the rebuild... Most of the suppliers I've asked say that their suppliers recently discontinued the kits due to lack of availability of one or more bearings.

Blocker rings are dealer only and ~$100 each.
I've already got the kit from www.drivetrain.com. Somewhere around $100 if I recall correctly. Contains all bearings and seals but NO syncros. The current ones look fine to me, but I don't have a new one to use for comparison. Quick shipping, took about 2 days to get here.

The bearings and seals in a muncie are really common. They're used in quite a few different trannys. I have a spare set of new-in-the-box final drive bearings if anyone wants them for cheap. I bought them off-the-shelf at the local auto parts store before I found out how common they were. Here's a link to a thread on OE with bearing part numbers.

http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/064104.html

I dropped the tranny off for bead blasting yesterday. Should be ready next week! My 3.32 guts should be here any day.

Any interest in the kent-moore tool? I can post a few pics of it if anyone is interested.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Thanks. That saves me from cracking the case open to find all that out.
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

I don't suppose anyone knows a source for the bearing shims?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I notice that they mentioned more Chrysler stuff in the link you posted. Have you checked into those?

I didn't read the whole thread over there...
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

Yep. Tried seaching for chrysler parts, etc. I was hoping for on online source somewhere. I wanted a decent assortment of them for future use.

I tried google and couldn't find anything. Wierd.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

bump for rememberage
fiero-iwan

Post by fiero-iwan »

This is a really great post!
I'm wanting to rebuild my muncie 3.65 and also ,if I can find one, swap the 3.32 guts over. I would like some more info on the tools needed. The Kent Moore Shim selector kit is needed every time you open and close te case, or only if you swap internals from another trans. Do you have a partnr for the kit please. Could the same kit be used for a getrag (you never know what the future holds)? Are there any other special tools needed Kent Moore or others?

Thanx for any aditional info !!

Iwan
fiero-iwan

Post by fiero-iwan »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Thanks. That saves me from cracking the case open to find all that out.
I'm curious to the content of the obove link but I cannot get it to open.. Anybody able to post the info here please
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

This thread's better:
phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3770

This one has good info also:
phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4231
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

HAHAHA discontinued bearings..... Every single bearing ( minus the input shaft, bellhousing side ) is off the shelf wheel bearings and races from any local auto parts store, Ive rebuilt something like 4 or 5 of them, even did a write up on PenCocks. Unfortunately the pics were hosted on Hemmings which WCF doesnt even deal with any more.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The bearings weren't discon... just the rebuild kits, which tend to be cheaper than buying individual bearings and include some seals as well.