Pontiac G6 GTP

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Pontiac G6 GTP

Post by Aaron »

What an ugly fucking car. I can't get over how ugly this thing is. The back end is straight from a 350z, though GM somehow managed to make it uglier...The front end, well it does look Pontiac, thr grill at least. The rest just says Cavalier to me. I cannot be more turned off by this car. That 3900 better sound like a big block V8 and run 12s to make up for its total lack of aesthetic appeal. I thought the GTP might at least look decent, but shit that car is gross. And it looks like it sits higher than a truck. There is a lot of wheelgap, none of the fairings go anywhere near the ground, it looks like it has fucking 4wd.

The color is ok. I really like the wheels, but the rest of the car reflects its ugliness onto them. I wonder if they'd fit a Fiero? I doubt it, they are probably 115 or 114.3.

From http://60degreev6.com/discussion/viewto ... highlight=
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
BigRedDeckSpoiler

Post by BigRedDeckSpoiler »

That thing looks like a freakin' Toyota Solara.

I like the 4 door much better. Not that I'm in love with 4 doors.
BRDS
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

BigRedDeckSpoiler wrote:That thing looks like a freakin' Toyota Solara.

I like the 4 door much better. Not that I'm in love with 4 doors.
That's the car I was thinking, the solarao! But somehow, the Salara still looks halfway decent.

I was liking the new GM styling (Skyy, Solstice, Bonneville, Grand Prix, etc), but they really fucked this one up! No wonder I havn't seen any driving around town, I'd shoot myself if I had to drive one.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I actually like the new G6 coupe. They look pretty slick in black. I also like the solara. Its a very nice change from the "ribbed for her pleasure" grand am. I also like that it now comes with a stick. 240hp and a stick would make it pretty fun to drive.

Lex

Post by Lex »

I like the G6 Coupe. :thumbleft:
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Looks great.

The new Grand Prix is pretty lame though.. looks like they wanted it to be the next gen Bonneville. Its so biiiiggg looking.
jstillwell

Post by jstillwell »

crzyone wrote:I actually like the new G6 coupe. They look pretty slick in black. I also like the solara. Its a very nice change from the "ribbed for her pleasure" grand am. I also like that it now comes with a stick. 240hp and a stick would make it pretty fun to drive.

Seriously, look what it's replacing and tell me that Pontiac didn't hit it out of the park. As far as styling goes, I can't say I've really been terribly jazzed about the styling of any of the General's cars at first sight, but even the Avalanche has grown on me. I think this one is pretty hot. I would never let anyone mount a license plate on the front of mine though. I'd risk the tickets.

Here's something to think about, a G6 I saw in the RSM booth at SEMA.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Nice little SC upgrade. Not the type of car I'd ever think to modify though. Its more of a commuter car for the wife to me.

Pontiac needs to make a small rwd car with a bulletproof drivetrain that seats more than 2 people.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Car/Driver just finished testing this car against other similiar competitors, and the results are, well, predictable. It was placed against the MazdaSpeed6, Acura TSX, Honda Accord EX 6-speed, and the VW Jetta GLI.

The GTP placed last, although performing exceptionally well in every performance category. Its acceleration was 3rd best in both 0-60 and 1/4mi, it held the 2nd best lane-change speed, was a close 3rd on the skidpad, and beat the Honda and Acura in braking. Yet still managed to lose.

According to the testers, the GTP had annoyingly tall gearing, outweighed EVERY other car (Including the AWD Mazda), had excessive up-and-down motion and insufficient body roll stiffness, heavy and numb steering, and required absolute concentration, even deemed work, to get it to compete with the others around the track. EVERY tester complained of major wind noise, leaking in the upper right-hand A-pillar area, and terrible shift quality. The testers used the terms rubbery, primitive, and klunky to describe it.

The final words were "So the G6 GTP stacks up as merely adaquate in a contest where better than average is the threshold of acceptability."

Looking straight at the numbers, the GTP also had the worst weight distribution at 61.3 front/38.7 rear, and it was not "best in test" in ANY of the catagories.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

ha! more GM JUNK!

Quick by GM stocks short!
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I said I like the looks, performance is a whole other story.

When I was at GM picking up some parts for my swap I went into the showroom to look at a G6 coupe up close. When I opened the door I imediatly noticed the window didn't have a frame around it. I thought it might be a pain in the ass with wind noise.

My wife's 95 neon 2 dr. has bad wind noise because of the same problem. Amazingly the fiero is very good with wind noise with a frameless window, or atleast the ones I've owned. Plus its a relativly short window compared the neon and G6.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

aaron wrote:Car/Driver just finished testing this car against other similiar competitors, and the results are, well, predictable. It was placed against the MazdaSpeed6, Acura TSX, Honda Accord EX 6-speed, and the VW Jetta GLI..
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp ... e_id=10516
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I thought the interior was actually pretty decent from looks alone. But I'm sure it is typical GM once you are inside of it. But the lines flow well and the colors look nice.

The car's performance is actually decent, and well within its class. Unfortunately, it is still a GM, and a decent suspension and engine and they forget about the small stuff that causes a great car to be such a piece of shit.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
jstillwell

Post by jstillwell »

aaron wrote:Car/Driver just finished testing this car against other similiar competitors, and the results are, well, predictable.
Yep, Csaba Csere swallowed another load of Japanese jizz. They also said that the Scion xB was a better small wagon/van then the PT Cruiser GT, although the Cruiser crushed it in every catagory except affordability. It would have been interesting to see how that one would have went with the base model 5 speed with a $13,000 sticker.

Anyway, Car and Driver loves the Japanese. Sometimes to ridiculous extent.
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in."
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

jstillwell wrote: Anyway, Car and Driver loves the Japanese. Sometimes to ridiculous extent.
I don't blame them. They build better cars for better prices.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

jstillwell wrote:
Anyway, Car and Driver loves the Japanese. Sometimes to ridiculous extent.
Which is why it schocked me that much more when they picked the GLI in 1st place! Having test driven one, I must say that it is a really good all-around car.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
jstillwell

Post by jstillwell »

And I got the impression from reading their initial impressions of the Jetta GLI was that it was over-priced with Mexican build quality.

(Of course I drive a Mexican built PT Cruiser- no issues in 35k mi.)
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Wow a whole 35,000 miles?

Dude that's like a fucking brand new car, I'd hope there are no issues. Hell it is probably still under warranty and not even making the most power yet.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

It's a clown shoe.
jstillwell

Post by jstillwell »

aaron wrote:Wow a whole 35,000 miles?

Dude that's like a fucking brand new car, I'd hope there are no issues. Hell it is probably still under warranty and not even making the most power yet.
Fuck, now you're busting me on how many miles I have on the car! Piss off! I wasn't trying to impress you with the longevity of Mexican craftsmanship, I was merely stating a fact of what my odometer reads.

Jackass.