OE Fiero service manuals still available NEW from HELM

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Sinister Fiero

OE Fiero service manuals still available NEW from HELM

Post by Sinister Fiero »

http://www.helminc.com/

About $90 for Fieros. I have seen decent condition 88 Fiero manuals go for almost this on eBay, assuming there isn't a run on them. Not a bad deal. I have a set of 96 J-body HELM service manuals and they are identical to OEM except for the cover.
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED
Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions | www.gmtuners.com
Chase Race

Post by Chase Race »

The last I heard they ran out of '88 manuals a few years ago and the "new" '88 manuals they're selling are actually photocopies of an original, not the original bound version.

I don't know about any other years.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
425-269-5636
Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

Chase Race wrote:The last I heard they ran out of '88 manuals a few years ago and the "new" '88 manuals they're selling are actually photocopies of an original, not the original bound version.

I don't know about any other years.
Dunno, I haven't ordered anything that old from them. According to their website, these "older" manuals are "print to order" suggesting they don't normally carry them in stock.
txf

Post by txf »

"NEW" 88 copies from The Fiero Store are printed on computer paper. Binding is a hair over 3 inches thick.
jazz4cash

Post by jazz4cash »

I was all set to order one of those /print to order/ manuals from Helm. The description of the manual on the initial page is very appealing, but if you click /add to cart/, the next pages says

This manual is a copy of the original publication. It is possible that this item will be in loose-leaf format. Any wiring diagrams in the original shop/service manual are NOT reproduceable and are no longer available.

So its really misleading to me. The wiring diagrams are vital. I got a used manual in good condition on ebay for $55.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Ok... I may have to step up to the plate. I have indirect access to a machine that can take loose leaf stacks of paper and PDF them. My Cadillac manual is first on the list, but I may consider sacrificing my '88 shop manual (and maybe my '87 as well) to the cause.
knight83x

Post by knight83x »

if you do the 87 , hit me up
i would be really interested :thumbleft:
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Ive got a 87 shop manual here and i dont think i need it much longer. I sent my wiring harness out do be built.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

you still need it. :scratch:
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:you still need it. :scratch:
err the only part on my car that wasnt an 84 was the harness... and the engine ofcourse and i have the 84 Shop manual.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

I used that 87 manual for the C500 for Levi's car. Its in good shape.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

How's a harness for an '87 gonna work in an '84 when the '84 C500 is in the middle of the firewall and the '87 C500 is between the battery and the strut tower?
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:How's a harness for an '87 gonna work in an '84 when the '84 C500 is in the middle of the firewall and the '87 C500 is between the battery and the strut tower?
Id show you if i had pics of it. I had to basically split the 84 c500 into two pieces so one ran to the left (to run the rear lights) and one ran to the right (to plug into the engine harness)
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:How's a harness for an '87 gonna work in an '84 when the '84 C500 is in the middle of the firewall and the '87 C500 is between the battery and the strut tower?
I don't know if there is anything special with the situation for the 84, but you can easily move the C500 elsewhere...

Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

Series8217 wrote:
Just a little side note on ECM/PCM mounting. The reason why GM doesn't mount the computer to the chassis using a metal bracket is because they like to isolate the computer case from ground. They do this just in case the ground cable from the battery gets disconnected from the engine block but remains hooked up to the chassis via that smaller wire coming off the battery cable at the terminal on the battery.

The grounds going from the engine block to the computer do ground to the case internally inside the computer. If for some reason your large ground cable comes loose from the engine block or the chassis to engine block ground straps come off, then the only circuit left grounding the engine block to the chassis will be the computer wiring and computer case which we all know what can occur if too much current is sent thru those circuits...

As long as you make sure your grounds are good then you should be ok mounting your computer like this.

-ryan
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Series8217 wrote:
I don't know if there is anything special with the situation for the 84, but you can easily move the C500 elsewhere...

The '84 C500 is mounted on a bracket in the center of the firewall. I haven't checked yet to see how far it can be moved with the available wiring.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

What is there to check? I just said what has to be done... Remember I put factory V6 fuel injection into a 84.

One wire has to be repinned on the C500 and it has to be split in half OR you have to lengthen the rear lighting harness to reach over behind the passanger.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Sinister Fiero wrote:
Just a little side note on ECM/PCM mounting. [...]
Ahhh, I did not know that. Thanks for the heads-up!
Oversteer

Post by Oversteer »

If you were to PDF the 88 Manual I would give ya some cash for a copy. $40 USD?
He called the shit poop