Aluminum Radiator question.

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Fast88Fiero

Aluminum Radiator question.

Post by Fast88Fiero »

Ok, so the time has come to upgrade the radiator in the 88. I still have the factory radiator in the car and the car was a 4 cyl. Now that I have an engine swap I figured I should get a new radiator. I'm not sure of the size of the stock radiaotr, but I remembered reading that this radiator would work.

http://store.summitracing.com/default.a ... search.asp

Anybody know for sure if this will work? Any better options out there?

Thanks!
88 coupe: 2.0 turbo 4. T25, w2a, meth injection
whipped

Post by whipped »

The original fiero radiator is 24.5" x 16.5" overall. 1 5/8" thick core. In *theory* it should drop right in, you might have to massage the brackets a bit. It's the closest thing I've found to a drop in alumnium replacement radiator...

However, one thing I noticed when I first saw that radiator, is that it is only a single row... Now it will easily out-cool the stock radiator. Actually the corvette radiator is about the same size, and those are good for 400+hp. I've been running the stock radiator for a while now with ~330hp, with only limited problems with the temp creeping up on really hot days.

I really like the prices/dual rows of the trukool radiators, but damn, they're 19" tall!

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/aspx/p ... roduct.htm
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

I'm not having any major cooling issues with my stock radiator either, just wanted to upgrade it a bit. I dont want to do any major work to get the radiator to fit so I think I'm going to order the radiator from my post above. It should be a good improvment over stock. :thumbleft:
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Please when you get it do a full write up with pics of the install. I would also like to upgrade mine, but since I have the time, I may as well sit back and learn from others.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Fast88Fiero, could you weigh the factory Fiero radiator and the aluminum radiator if/when you get it? I'm interested in this for weigh reduction purposes.. the 4cyl radiator is currently cooling my 3.4 DOHC fine, even at the track.
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

Series8217 wrote:Fast88Fiero, could you weigh the factory Fiero radiator and the aluminum radiator if/when you get it? I'm interested in this for weigh reduction purposes.. the 4cyl radiator is currently cooling my 3.4 DOHC fine, even at the track.
Sure will! :thumbleft: It will probably be a few weeks before I install it. I ordered it today but want to take the car to work to install it. If this damn ice/snow/cold weather would go away I'd be driving my car.... :angry:
whipped

Post by whipped »

I think it'll probably be heavier. Doesn't have the plastic end tanks, and the core is like 1/2" thicker. Probably weighs 1/5 of what an archee brass 4 core does though,
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

whipped wrote:I think it'll probably be heavier. Doesn't have the plastic end tanks, and the core is like 1/2" thicker. Probably weighs 1/5 of what an archee brass 4 core does though,
But you need the better cooilng in the V8Archie kit because of all the torque.
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

I got the aluminum radiator yesterday and it weigh's 7lbs. I'm installing a stock radiator in a 86GT at work today, I'll be sure to weigh it.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Awesome!

Be sure to take a lot of pics when you install it (The alum one..)
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

Just got the factory reman radiator for the 86GT. It weights 9.75lbs on our shipping scale at work. So the aluminum radiator is 2.75lbs lighter.

James
whipped

Post by whipped »

wow, that's surprising!
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

eh not really - i got a replacement radiator for my dodge daota recently and the new one was twice as thick but alminum and weighed less..
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Fast88Fiero wrote:Just got the factory reman radiator for the 86GT. It weights 9.75lbs on our shipping scale at work. So the aluminum radiator is 2.75lbs lighter.

James
Thanks for the info!

I had no idea our radiators were so light already! Does the aluminum radiator have the same coolant capacity?
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

Series8217 wrote:
Fast88Fiero wrote:Just got the factory reman radiator for the 86GT. It weights 9.75lbs on our shipping scale at work. So the aluminum radiator is 2.75lbs lighter.

James
Thanks for the info!

I had no idea our radiators were so light already! Does the aluminum radiator have the same coolant capacity?
I think the aluminum radiator holds a little more coolant because it's slightly larger. Probably the extra weight in coolant will equal the two out.
whipped

Post by whipped »

So is it installed yet? You've had the weekend... :la:
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

LOL. Hell no. Weather here sucks ass. It's too damn cold. If it ever warms up I'll drive the car to work and put it in. :thumbleft:
S8n

Post by S8n »

Fast88Fiero wrote:LOL. Hell no. Weather here sucks ass. It's too damn cold. If it ever warms up I'll drive the car to work and put it in. :thumbleft:
I hear you about the weather....high here today was only 68!! I was freezing my ass off.
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

S8n wrote:
Fast88Fiero wrote:LOL. Hell no. Weather here sucks ass. It's too damn cold. If it ever warms up I'll drive the car to work and put it in. :thumbleft:
I hear you about the weather....high here today was only 68!! I was freezing my ass off.
Only 68.....you suck! It was 25 here today. It's about 12 out right now. I'm ready for summer!!

I'll be sure to take pictures of the install when I get to it and post them up. :thumbleft:
88 coupe: 2.0 turbo 4. T25, w2a, meth injection
S8n

Post by S8n »

I remember cold days. I used to live in Wyoming. :puke: BTW, do you have A/C on the car? I'm really interested on how this rad turns out!
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls