So whats it with the WRX crowd suddenly turning queer

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

V8Mikie

So whats it with the WRX crowd suddenly turning queer

Post by V8Mikie »

This might be an old phenomena that I just realized now, but whats it with the WRX guys and their deep but still fart can sounding exhausts? They are no better than the Honda guys of the 90s. It's almost like they are trying to make their cars sound like Trans Ams or something. I really don't get it. I know there must be 20 different companies that make exhausts for the WRX but the are all going with this one. I was at a red light next to one last week and it sounded like it idled at 2k RPM and it sounded like complete dog shit.

Maybe its because now you can get used ones cheap the dumbass ex-Honda kids are like "cool AWD!" and are trying to jump on the bandwagon. I don't know. These guys will still never hold a candle to the SRT-4 douche's but their latest exhaust craze is getting tiresome.
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

It is my humble opinion that any 4-cylinder car with free-flowing exhaust sounds like a fart-canned ricer piece of crap. Why should the Suby's be any different? My Talon's exhaust note disgusts me, and there's nothing I can do about it. Until I hit 24psi anyway.
Suby's do sound a bit deeper than most, from what I heard it's because of the boxer layout. They have still always sounded like poop to me, though.
'88 Fiero GT - coming soon! - Project MIDTRBO
'90 Camaro IROC-Z twin-turbo - For Sale (maybe)
(And too many more!)
There's no replacement for turbo placement
Chase Race

Post by Chase Race »

alltrbo wrote:Why should the Suby's be any different?
Uneven firing pulses in the exhaust due to the boxer layout. A friend had a Forester with headers and a pretty good exhaust. It sounded kick ass. Like a 4 cylinder Harley Davidson.

Note: I have become a Subaru fan in the past couple years so this may be affecting my judgment. You decide.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
425-269-5636
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

There is an STi around here with what ost would consider a ricey exhaust, and I really like the sound emitted by the flat opposed 4. I agree with Doug. That being said, I've also heard a few I didn't like.
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

Well like I said, I don't care for their sound either, though I agree they sound different than most, but not all that much. I have heard plenty of different WRX/STI's too. Just my humble opinion. :)

Well, I take that back. There was one, just one 4-banger I really liked the sound of, at idle anyway. My friend had a 2.4 in his Eclipse with a built (ported) head, large HKS cams, a huge turbo, and straight through 3" exhaust all the way back. Even though it had even pulses, it made a very deep and powerful BUMP LUMP LUMP BUMP BUMP, and nearly sounded like a built V8. I hate it when people say that because they never do sound like that, but this one did. At revs higher than that, it just sounded like a loud, deep built 4-banger though.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

That's how my Z34 sounded. It could have easily passed for a LT1 at idle, but as soon as I touch the gas, it screamed DOHC V6. There's no getting away from it.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Stock SRT4s sound great. Probibly the only stock 4cyl that I like. No mufflers, just a cat after the turbo.
V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

crzyone wrote:Stock SRT4s sound great. Probibly the only stock 4cyl that I like. No mufflers, just a cat after the turbo.
"Great." So I guess you like the boat in the water sound?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

No, I really like the way they sound. Off throttle they rumble and pop which sounds pretty cool. At idle they have a real deep sound. Full throttle they are fairly loud.

Take one for a test drive and see what I mean. Even watching one go by gives you a pretty good idea.

I take it you don't like them.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

the idea with a turbo car is you want as little backpressure as possible.

my subaru still has the OEM exhaust, but if i started trying to make power, i'd open it up a little.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Chase Race wrote:
alltrbo wrote:Why should the Suby's be any different?
Uneven firing pulses in the exhaust due to the boxer layout. A friend had a Forester with headers and a pretty good exhaust. It sounded kick ass. Like a 4 cylinder Harley Davidson.

Note: I have become a Subaru fan in the past couple years so this may be affecting my judgment. You decide.
Except that boxer 4's are even fire.

I heard a WRX recently with 264(?) cams... sounded pretty nice... for a 4 cylinder.

350Z's with aftermarket exhausts sound GOOD.

VW R32's with factory stock exhausts sound FUCKING AWESOME.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I'd like to find an exhaust combo I can package into my Fiero without cutting out the trunk that will make it sound more like an exotic and less like a really mean muscle car.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The full size mufflers on my N* make it sound fairly low and imtimidating. I like it.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Straight pipes made mine sound pretty mean as well. I'd just like it to sound more exotic. That may come with the 8500 RPM redline, however.
V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

eHoward wrote:the idea with a turbo car is you want as little backpressure as possible.

my subaru still has the OEM exhaust, but if i started trying to make power, i'd open it up a little.
Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the act of getting an aftermarket exhaust. We all know how restrictive stock exhausts are (at least 95% of the time anyway). But I am bashing the choice in exhausts lately. I know there are exhausts out there that are louder than others, and it seems recently all the WRX guys are flocking to them.
V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

crzyone wrote:No, I really like the way they sound. Off throttle they rumble and pop which sounds pretty cool. At idle they have a real deep sound. Full throttle they are fairly loud.

Take one for a test drive and see what I mean. Even watching one go by gives you a pretty good idea.

I've driven them before, a guy where I work has one. Stock I think they sound like a boat. You can make 4 cyl. sound good but trying to make them rumble and it turns out, well like the SRT-4.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

V8Mikie wrote: Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the act of getting an aftermarket exhaust. We all know how restrictive stock exhausts are (at least 95% of the time anyway). But I am bashing the choice in exhausts lately. I know there are exhausts out there that are louder than others, and it seems recently all the WRX guys are flocking to them.
Fuck dude I'd be flocking to them too. The WRX has a thing called a turbo. The bigger the exhaust afterwards, the more power you'll get. I've watched a TGP gain 20whp and 30wtq with just a 3" exhaust added. And the louder they are, we can assume the more they flow, thus, the more power they add. I'd be putting a 4" straight pipe on if I could fit it. And yes, it would be loud. It'd also be fast.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

V8Mikie wrote:
crzyone wrote:No, I really like the way they sound. Off throttle they rumble and pop which sounds pretty cool. At idle they have a real deep sound. Full throttle they are fairly loud.

I've driven them before, a guy where I work has one. Stock I think they sound like a boat. You can make 4 cyl. sound good but trying to make them rumble and it turns out, well like the SRT-4.
I just realized that the SRT4 I was in had the factory upgraded cat back exhaust system. I have heard stockers from outside the car, but the one I drove had the upgrade.

Not sure how much difference there is between the 2.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

My quad has a pretty low rumble at idle. But like mentioned before, it goes away, but it is deeper when reving compared to the imports. All the video's I have of my car dont pick up the low notes, so they sound different then the real thing.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Suddenly?
<Insert Sig Here>