Aaron's other 3.4 DOHC 88GT Build Thread

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Aaron's other 3.4 DOHC 88GT Build Thread

Post by Aaron »

While my black car's swap is on hold, I figure I'd start a thread for the newest arrival, a maroon 88GT 5-speed with a 3.4 DOHC that has already been swapped, but isn't running.

The previous owner did the swap. It is a stock 91-93 DOHC into an otherwise stock 88GT. I hope he does not read this, as he was very nice, worked with me, let me drive his car/bike, etc. But, for the sake of getting help and getting this car running and driving, I'll give my honest opinions.

The swap itself was hacked together.

-Uses stock V6 mounts, which makes the engine sit too high, it's very cramped by the front valve cover. The engine also rocks a considerable distance just when cranking. The fuel lines are little more than rubber lines with worm clamps on each end. Wires are running everywhere, there are more disconnected than connected, and there are some missing alltogether.

As it sits right now: The car cranks over fine, compression sounds normal, has spark but slightly weak, but does not get fuel. When we towed it home, a group of wires got caught in the axle. They got twisted around, ripped out, and jammed between where the axle joints into the tranny. These wires appear to be the alternator wires, and the knock sensor wires. I don't believe this would cause the fuel pump not to prime itself and run, but I'm not sure. I'm going to fix this before I move into the issue of not getting fuel. There isn't much more I can say, I'm torn between what I want to do with it.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

The can of worms opens in
1... :thumbleft:
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

test the fuel pump - then rewire - you can have it up and running in about 3 days if you just get straight to doing it rather than wondering what to do about it
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The fuel rail, and the fuel lines, all have fuel when I disconnected them. It wasn't under significant pressure, but they were wet and full. THis leads me to believe that the fuel pump was working before we towed it, and that the wiring incident is responsible for the pump not working.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Aaron wrote:The fuel rail, and the fuel lines, all have fuel when I disconnected them. It wasn't under significant pressure, but they were wet and full. THis leads me to believe that the fuel pump was working before we towed it, and that the wiring incident is responsible for the pump not working.
non of those wires have anything to do with the 12volt test.. althought I suppose something else may have been pulled free or shorted..

but seriously - the wiring is not that difficult if you just take it all out and run one wire at a time.

I did mine in a total of about 6 hours (2 hours for 3 evenings), used the aircraft quality environmentally sealed crimp connectors.. when you heat them the tubing shrinks and liquifies glue inside that bonds the insulation of both wires together so the crimp never gets any strain and never works lose - sometimes you can find them at marine supply stores.. get about 100 of those and go to town. if I hadn't gone and used the TGP ecm i'd have been driving my fiero over a year ago
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Kohburn wrote: non of those wires have anything to do with the 12volt test.. althought I suppose something else may have been pulled free or shorted..

but seriously - the wiring is not that difficult if you just take it all out and run one wire at a time.

I did mine in a total of about 6 hours (2 hours for 3 evenings)
Yah I know, it is just very intimidating to see all the wires, and not know fuckall of where they go, what they do, etc.

Right now, I think I am going to drop the fuel tank, check cam timing, pull all the wiring, redo the entire harness, and then try it all again, fixing minor stuff as I go.

Does anyone have the information that dohcfiero.com contained? That'd help a lot right now.

Thanks kohburn for the help. Mach10, I'm just about ready to fold on that little bet of our's...
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

trust me - doing it that way will be way more confusing..

all you need to know is what the color of wire on each connector on the engine is - and which pin it goes to on the ECM

label the wires coming through the firewall for which connector they go to. and label each wire on each connector for what they are and where they go.. then its just a game of connect the dots with wire.

I wracked my brain for days trying to figure it all out then just said screw it and did it this way.. was so simple
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

Heh...

Didn't I tell ya? :thumbleft:

Take what remains of the wiring harness OFF and lay it out start to finish. List the bits that stay, and which go, and find EACH one individually, going off the pins from the ECM harness.

Then start pin-by-pin from the Fiero C500...

When you've figured out what's there/missing, then start worrying about what's hooked up right/wrong.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Get a FSM. www.helminc.com
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

BTW, any sign of that accumulator?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Kohburn wrote: I wracked my brain for days trying to figure it all out then just said screw it and did it this way.. was so simple
I guess I'll try it, everyone I've talked to says it isn't that bad, and I got you and Steven to walk me through it. Than I shall pull it in a few minutes...

I left the fuel tank in for now, I'm pretty sure that it's good, just wiring somewhere isn't.

Will, those FSM's are expensive! If I can't do it with Kohburn's and Steven's help, I'll get one, but until I hit a dead end I'd rather not.

No sign of no accumaloator yet :scratch:
whipped

Post by whipped »

Kohburn wrote: I did mine in a total of about 6 hours (2 hours for 3 evenings), used the aircraft quality environmentally sealed crimp connectors..
You're banned from giving electrical advice.

:la:
My fiero is aliiiive!!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Aaron wrote:Will, those FSM's are expensive! If I can't do it with Kohburn's and Steven's help, I'll get one, but until I hit a dead end I'd rather not.

These ain't Heines and Chitlin's

Stop being a Fiero owner and buy the documentation that will answer all the questions you're asking us.

Think of it this way... BOTH manuals (Lumina and Fiero) put together will cost $180.

You've already put more than ten times that into your "wild" swap and aren't even ready to start. How much did you pay for your new car? The shop manuals are a drop in the bucket compared to what you have spent and what you will spend.

They are worth EVERY penny. You'd have 1% of the questions you do now if you had a shop manual.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
You've already put more than ten times that into your "wild" swap and aren't even ready to start. How much did you pay for your new car? The shop manuals are a drop in the bucket compared to what you have spent and what you will spend.

They are worth EVERY penny. You'd have 1% of the questions you do now if you had a shop manual.
I have one for my 88. Damn thing is priceless in my opinion. I only reference the haynes if I need to find something real quick. The FSM is so thick its hard to know where to look sometimes.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

whipped wrote:
Kohburn wrote: I did mine in a total of about 6 hours (2 hours for 3 evenings), used the aircraft quality environmentally sealed crimp connectors..
You're banned from giving electrical advice.

:la:
read it all :la: - these are superior to soldered wire in harsh environments - unless you can find shrink wrap that is filled with thermal glue to completely seal it -- aircraft quality wiring pwns ju
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Suppliers? Part numbers?
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

gotta warn ya, they are about 40-60 cents each if you get the minimum quantities.. molex brand perma-seal butt splice connectors

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/626/1125.pdf

if i remember right i used the 18-22 guage connectors
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Kohburn wrote:unless you can find shrink wrap that is filled with thermal glue to completely seal it
any dedicated electronics supply store should have it..
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Series8217 wrote:
Kohburn wrote:unless you can find shrink wrap that is filled with thermal glue to completely seal it
any dedicated electronics supply store should have it..
never seen such a thing
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Search for "adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing"