Turbo Collector

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

bryson

Turbo Collector

Post by bryson »

I'm trying to decide between making a 4-1 merge collector similar to my old header, or if I should make two 2-1 collectors as if I was making the header for a twin-scroll turbine housing. It would be easier to weld, and I would like a twin-scroll housing (but I don't think one is made for the GT30R or GT35R). The biggest reason I want to make it like that is because it's much easier to weld up two 2-1 collectors individually then weld them both to a flange than it is to weld up the 4-1 collector. Do you guys see any drawbacks to running the header as if it were for a twin-scroll turbo, but running a regular turbocharger?
'87 BMW M6 / '88 BMW M5 / '90 Audi Coupe Quattro / '88 Fiero GT 2.3L Quad4 - 400whp; pump gas
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

nothing wrong with 4-2-1 header for turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

As long as you keep the primaries short, it'll be fine.
Indy

Re: Turbo Collector

Post by Indy »

bryson wrote:I'm trying to decide between making a 4-1 merge collector similar to my old header, or if I should make two 2-1 collectors as if I was making the header for a twin-scroll turbine housing. It would be easier to weld, and I would like a twin-scroll housing (but I don't think one is made for the GT30R or GT35R). The biggest reason I want to make it like that is because it's much easier to weld up two 2-1 collectors individually then weld them both to a flange than it is to weld up the 4-1 collector. Do you guys see any drawbacks to running the header as if it were for a twin-scroll turbo, but running a regular turbocharger?
I've got a twin-scroll housing on my GT37...Might want to keep looking around.
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
bryson

Post by bryson »

How will it compare to a 4-1 collector? Does one have an advantage over the other in terms of performance? The 2-1 will be easier to weld up, but I can do either.
'87 BMW M6 / '88 BMW M5 / '90 Audi Coupe Quattro / '88 Fiero GT 2.3L Quad4 - 400whp; pump gas
allWorkNoPlay

Post by allWorkNoPlay »

ATP makes twin scroll housings: http://www.atpturbo.com/
bryson

Post by bryson »

Those look nice -- I wonder if they sell just the housing? I could probably get the turbo for less somewhere else.