Picking up a new car tomorrow.

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Fast88Fiero

Picking up a new car tomorrow.

Post by Fast88Fiero »

I decided I needed a nicer car than the Envoy for a daily driver. Something that gets better gas mileage and is more sporty. This week we took a 2001 BMW 525i in on trade. It's a 5 speed manual, white with tan interior and is in perfect shape. Has higher mileage, over 100K but runs and drives awesome. Getting it for $9500 out the door. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. Time to sell the Envoy. :thumbleft:
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I always make fun of people driving 525s. Those things are dogs. :la:

sorry, but it's true.
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

eHoward wrote:I always make fun of people driving 525s. Those things are dogs. :la:

sorry, but it's true.
Oh yeah, it is true. I'm defenatly not getting it for it's speed.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Thats why companies like Dinan exist. :thumbleft:

http://www.dinancars.com/
<Insert Sig Here>
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

http://www.dinancars.com/Series.asp?Ser ... 3&Model=61

Love it. 12 horse for 3k.
Fastback86 wrote:Thats why companies like Dinan exist. :thumbleft:

http://www.dinancars.com/
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

The Dinan S-525 offers the driving enthusiast a noticeable increase in power output for faster acceleration and the unmistakable sound of performance. The system features fully matched Stage 2 Engine Software, the High Flow Cold Air Intake and Free Flow Exhaust, bumping horsepower to 195 @ 6000 rpm.
Nevermind 12hp... A CAI, cat-back, and a Hypertech for $3k?

Find out who bought one... I've got a lovely bridge for sale. :bootyshake:
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Surprisingly enough, a lot of people. There are a lot of people around here with nothing better to do with their large piles of money. But you see far more Dinan-modified 3 Series around, since they do much more with that model. Supposedly they're working on a package similar to their M3 package for the M5.
<Insert Sig Here>
S8n

Post by S8n »

You'd actually get better gas mileage with a 530i, but the 525 is still a nice car, usually don't see many problems with them. The only thing you gotta be careful of is when it overheats. If it starts to get off TURN IT OFF! Takes 8 minutes of overheat to ruin the engine. Cheers.
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Fastback86 wrote:Surprisingly enough, a lot of people. There are a lot of people around here with nothing better to do with their large piles of money. But you see far more Dinan-modified 3 Series around, since they do much more with that model. Supposedly they're working on a package similar to their M3 package for the M5.
People don't know how to save. Had they saved their money, they could have boughten the nicer model a few months later and had all that performance and so much more. But they had to have that egotistical status showing BMW that day. The people with large amounts of money don't buy a 4 year old 5 series.

I'm not saying this about you in perticular, just the people I see on a regular basis. None of them buy the car for it driving characteristics, because it gets good mileage, because it handles good, no, they buy it because it's a BMW and their neighbor doesn't have one.

If you bought the car for the aforementioned characteristics, props and I hope it does all you're expecting, and I expect it will. But after driving a Z3 around for the past few years, I would buy a Saturn Sky Redline, well 2 of them, before I even drove another Z3. The BMW sounded great, handled exceptionally well, pulled hard, and was a complete blast to drive. It truly was a driver's machine. But the interior quality SUCKED (Dare I say?). The sound system was terrible, the wind noise above 90 was horrific, the convertible leaked, the power top broke, and the power seats can't move with a person on them. And despite me being a Fiero owner, at some point, comfort does come before performance. This is of course not a representation of all BMWs, but the new M5 has a lot to prove this summer.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

I didnt buy it because it's a BMW. I dont even like BMW's. I took it for a test drive (work at the dealership) and really liked it. It handles great, much better than my Envoy. At 100MPH it's extreamly quiet inside and smooth down the road. You defenatly dont feel the bumps as much in it. It's a dog off the line but isnt too bad on the highway. You have to keep in mind I've been driving a 2000 GMC Envoy as a daily driver for the past few months so the BMW is a ton nicer car. Fuel mileage is mid 20's in town which I think is pretty good. It gets around 30 on the highway. If it breaks I fix it myself at work and have all the BMW special service tools since we sell BMW's. I'm really happy with it. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

S8n wrote:You'd actually get better gas mileage with a 530i, but the 525 is still a nice car, usually don't see many problems with them. The only thing you gotta be careful of is when it overheats. If it starts to get off TURN IT OFF! Takes 8 minutes of overheat to ruin the engine. Cheers.

Sounds like the old Jaguar inline 6's... overheat them and all the valve seats fall out.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Fast88Fiero wrote:I didnt buy it because it's a BMW. I dont even like BMW's. I took it for a test drive (work at the dealership) and really liked it. It handles great, much better than my Envoy. At 100MPH it's extreamly quiet inside and smooth down the road. You defenatly dont feel the bumps as much in it. It's a dog off the line but isnt too bad on the highway. You have to keep in mind I've been driving a 2000 GMC Envoy as a daily driver for the past few months so the BMW is a ton nicer car. Fuel mileage is mid 20's in town which I think is pretty good. It gets around 30 on the highway. If it breaks I fix it myself at work and have all the BMW special service tools since we sell BMW's. I'm really happy with it. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.
That's good I'm glad you like it. I guess the 5-series got the BMW treatment in the total opposits fashion of the Z3.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Sometimes I think about responding to what aaron writes and then I remember that there's not enough time in the day.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

If I was wrong it'd be one thing. But I've driven the car for a while now, and it is a poorly built car in every category besides performance, and I am only left to guess that all BMWs have the same characteristics considering the only other one I've driven is a M3, and I didn't drive that long enough to form an accurate opinion of the car as a whole.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

You were complaining about WIND NOISE IN A CONVERTABLE OVER 90!~ Come on man. WHere can you even legally go 90 that isn't a racetrack?

I'm not going to start on the other things as I would like to go outside today.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

eHoward wrote:You were complaining about WIND NOISE IN A CONVERTABLE OVER 90!~ Come on man. WHere can you even legally go 90 that isn't a racetrack?

I'm not going to start on the other things as I would like to go outside today.
You don't drive California highways much. When there isn't traffic, 90-110 is the norm. Legal, no, but BMW's reputation is for building great performing cars with the quality of a MB. It didn't happen. Convertable or not, 90mph is not that fast, and was cruising speed for quite a few drives. And the wind noise is terrible at 60 and 75 too. btw, our 1994 Z28 convertable had no more wind noise than a friend's 95 hardtop, even when peggging the speed limiter.
S8n

Post by S8n »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
S8n wrote:You'd actually get better gas mileage with a 530i, but the 525 is still a nice car, usually don't see many problems with them. The only thing you gotta be careful of is when it overheats. If it starts to get off TURN IT OFF! Takes 8 minutes of overheat to ruin the engine. Cheers.

Sounds like the old Jaguar inline 6's... overheat them and all the valve seats fall out.
It warps the head and pulls the head bolt threads out of the block. It's about $10k to have us (dealer) to replace the engine.
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The Jaguar loses the press-fit on the valve seats and they start to fall, one at a time. The head's junk afterward, unless you do ALL the valve seats.

Pulls the head bolt threads out of the block? WTF?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

So did you get the car yet?

Pics?
S8n

Post by S8n »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:The Jaguar loses the press-fit on the valve seats and they start to fall, one at a time. The head's junk afterward, unless you do ALL the valve seats.

Pulls the head bolt threads out of the block? WTF?
Yeah, it sucks if it happens to you, but it keeps me employed.
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com