Uh Oh, I found a Northstar...

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Uh Oh, I found a Northstar...

Post by Aaron »

It's true .

1994 Cad Seville, wrecked in front end. 96,000 miles. Excellent inside and out, 32v, $1400.

I'm going to look at it Sunday. If I can get it down to $1000-$1200, I'll buy it I think. Sell the tranny, part/sell the car, and use the engine. I would then keep the maroon car, and just keep my modded crate 3.4 for if\when the current 3.4 spins a bearing. It would be a daily driver, and I'd drive it while I swap the N* into the black car. I think I am capable of doing a N* swap.

The only problem is that the N* swap is expensive, and I can't/won't sell my 3.4 parts becuase I'd need/want them for the maroon car.

I'm seriously considering this. Anything I need to know? Is 94 an ok year? Any better years?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Apparantly this car either has the STS L37, which sounds like the better engine to have at a "higher revving" 300hp, or the SLS LD8 (Made for low end torque, but they say it performed better due to a tuned intake system, 275hp).

How do I know which one it has, are the bodies different?
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

how is the N* swap any more expensive than the dohc? Are you talking stand alone ECM and shit?

Mounting is basically the same as a dohc along with fuel / coolant / etc etc
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:How do I know which one it has, are the bodies different?
If the RPO sticker says L37, then it has the L37 engine. Likewise for the LD8. Otherwise, remove a cam cover and measure cam lobe major axes. If the intake and exhaust are different, it's an L37, if they are the same, it's an LD8.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

donk_316 wrote:Mounting is basically the same as a dohc along with fuel / coolant / etc etc
Mounting is WAY different than any V6/60. The front cradle crossmember has to be cut out and a new one fabbed 3" forward of the stock one. There's no convenient place or room to drop a mount off the front of the engine like the V6's do. You can make mounts that bolt to the sides of the block on either side of the crank pulley, but those brackets would need complicated contours and be difficult to make.

Other expenses...
Custom A/C lines
New fuel lines
Wiring harness (WAY more complicated than 3.4 TDC)
Special flywheel
etc, etc, etc...
whipped

Post by whipped »

'94 engine is doodie.

Well, unless you're going boost, then it might be good. You'd have to swap throttle bodies.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Nothing wrong with it... it's still rated at 275 & 300 just like the newer ones. The older intake manifold is a little heavier and harder to work on, that's all.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Ok the car is a 1994 STS, so it is (Well should be) a L37, which is good.

I understand and am ok with the swap being more dificult, I think I can do it. Do the later intake manifolds offer any performance advantage? Can they be swapped? This isn't a big issue, because I'd like to at some point put a custom intake on it anyways.

I don't think it's a bad engine, it sounds like the model to have. Higher compression too. I'm going to call about it in a few minutes. I wish I could just take the engine, but I doubt he will do that, I may have to take the whole car.
whipped

Post by whipped »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Nothing wrong with it... it's still rated at 275 & 300 just like the newer ones. The older intake manifold is a little heavier and harder to work on, that's all.
well... actually it's rated at 270hp or 295hp due to the EGR setup... :la:

That aside, the only thing "wrong" with it is that nasty external ISM. You can't use any aftermarket ECM with it - they all control steppers, not motors.

So if you want to do any modifications, you need the 96-99 throttle body. If you're doing a custom manifold anyways, it won't matter I guess.
whipped

Post by whipped »

Aaron wrote:Do the later intake manifolds offer any performance advantage? Can they be swapped?
No. Yes, but it's a PITA. You have to drill and tap the heads.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

That aside, the only thing "wrong" with it is that nasty external ISM. You can't use any aftermarket ECM with it - they all control steppers, not motors.

So if you want to do any modifications, you need the 96-99 throttle body. If you're doing a custom manifold anyways, it won't matter I guess.
What is the ISM?

I don't plan on running an aftermarket ECM anyways, but I would like to run a custom intake. But for that I'd use a different throttle body I'm sure (90mm LS1 sounds fun).
whipped

Post by whipped »

Aaron wrote:

What is the ISM?

I don't plan on running an aftermarket ECM anyways, but I would like to run a custom intake. But for that I'd use a different throttle body I'm sure (90mm LS1 sounds fun).
the idle speed motor. It moves the throttle directly.

When I say "aftermarket ECM", I mean, anything other than the stock cadillac computer.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Don't do it. Its a fairly difficult swap and fairly expensive.

Personally, if I could go back in time I would find a cheap Short *, a good turbo and an aftermarket ecu. That would be a badass combo.

Your fieros are 88s as well, have to modify the strut tower just to get the N* to fit. Means cutting a hole or beating it with a hammer.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Ok would the car be OBD1 or OBD2?

Cryzone, I realize it's a difficult swap, but I think I can do it. I'm good with all of the mechanical stuff, the only thing that scares me is wiring. But it won't be much harder than a 3.4, just longer. I think I can do it, and I also think it will be a much more worthwhile engine than the 3.4.

I have no problem beating my shock tower.
whipped

Post by whipped »

94 is obdi
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Actually, if I had to do it all again, I would save the $15k I have into my fiero and engine swap and buy a skyline :thumbleft:
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

crzyone wrote:Actually, if I had to do it all again, I would save the $15k I have into my fiero and engine swap and buy a skyline :thumbleft:
hahaha!! i fucking agree 10,000%!!!!! ME TOO!!!!
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
product1620

Post by product1620 »

I'm not a big fan of Skylines, ever since I saw one with over 500hp (I think it was actually close to 800hp, but I can't remember) get demolished by a Cobalt with around 220hp, on Street tuner challenge. :la:
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I thought about it a lot today, and came to this conclusion.

I do want a Northstar, and I think I will do one in my black car, but it won't be this one. First, it has more miles than I'd like. Next, I'd be stuck with the whole car, and I don't want that. Lastly, I'm kinda stuck financially.

I have a lot of money wrapped up in my black car's crate motor, and I can't sell it for near what it's worth because of the heads, and I'd like to keep it around for if/when the maroon car's 3.4 spins a bearing anyways.

So we'll see, I'm not in any big rush right now though.
z.MacK
Use a smaller avatar

Post by z.MacK »

You have your nice 88gt on the road.

Some hack job 3.4 twin cam fiero, still not on the road.
You really want a wrecked caddie sitting around?

sure go all fiero5....go buy all the fuckups you can find in your area