Laptop shopping

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

derangedsheep

Laptop shopping

Post by derangedsheep »

I'm shopping for laptops for school. Not sure what brands to look at. I know IBM is good, but they're a little pricey. My brother has a Toshiba which hasn't given him any trouble but I heard that their customer support is pretty bad. So I built a Dell and it was around $1700 (Core Duo 2ghz, 1gb ram, 100gb hdd, dedicated video card). Then I built the same one with Ibuypower and it was like, $1400. But I don't know much about Ibuypower, are they any good?

So basically, the whole point of this post is, I don't know much about branded computers because I build my own. What brands are good?

Thanks,
Steve
87 GT - Automatic. 2.25" Catback.
04 VW GTI 1.8T - APR 93. Weitec 60/40 Cup Kit. GHL Intake. Neuspeed 28mm RSB. Peloquin's Differential.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

i've got a toshiba - actually very happy with their support
it hasn't given me a lick of trouble

part of my decision on the notebook is because I wanted a tablet and this one had the best quality reviews to cost ratio
Last edited by Kohburn on Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I've had a Gateway and a Dell. I liked the Dell MUCH better, HOWEVER...

Dell power supplies use a proprietary plug to connect to the computer. This plug is attached to a cord that is integral with the power supply. If you damage the $2 plug, you're down for a $70 power supply instead of a $10 cord. That deeply offends my sense of engineering propriety and I'm sure it was done to bring in more revenue from accessory sales at the expense of clumsy people.

My next laptop is going to be a Panasonic Toughbook or an Itronix GoBook.
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

I get my paycheque replacing dell hard-drives.

The Latitude laptop line has some SERIOUS issues, and they like to eat hard drives AND motherboards at an unbelieveable rate.

That is ALL my department does; replace laptop motherboards, hard-drives, etc.

Retarded high failiure rate. I wouldn't take one.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I also have a Dell, an Inspiron 9200. Pentium M 2.1 processor, ATI Radeon 9700+, 1gb ram, DVD burner, 17.4" widescreen, etc. It's a VERY nice computer, games amazingly well, multitasks even better, and I spent a lot on it. However I couldn't be less impressed. The first one I bought was a 9100, well that got some water damage because I carried it in my backpack through a light drizzle, and it fucked up the entire computer. After being on the phone numerous times, once for over 4 HOURS, they finally agreed to replace it, and sent me the 9200 (A much nicer model). 3 months later, all 4 USB ports died. I called Dell Tech Support, probably learned more fucking Arabic than I would had I taken an Arabic course, all to find out that the new 9200 didn't have a warranty, my warranty was canceled as soon as I turned in my old 9100, and they didn't give me the remaining on the warranty, or a new one. So I was/am fucked, because the first one broke. Luckily I got a $20 adapter off Ebay that lets me have USB again.

I hate Dell Tech Support. They are of very little help usually, you're on hold forever, and none of them speak comprehendable English. I will not buy another Dell so long as I live. I will also never buy another Gateway, as our old PC was a Gateway and we had nothing but problems.

A few friends have Toshibas. None have ever had problems, but their computers are also much less performance-oriented, with slow processors, small and none-upgradable memory, small screens, etc.

We use Sony laptops in the squad cars at school. Slower than Dale Gribble's bug-a-beggo, but they do take a beating. Boy do they take a beating, we are HARD on those things, I see them dropped from 2-3ft on a regular basis, and it doesn't phase them a bit.

I really like the new HP's, though havn't had a chance to really check them out as I don't plan on buying another laptop until I finish school (That's if my Dell lasts...). You might try Ebay. You can get brand new, sealed in factory box laptops for $600 off retail. Just beware that even though they say it has a 1 year warranty, that warranty starts the minute it leaves the factory. So, like in my case, if the seller has had it sitting on the shelf for 3 months, that's 3 months off your warranty.

My 9200: It has faded a little where you rest your arms to type (Most all laptops do), and it still has a small keyboard, despite having 2" of space on both sides of the keyboard...
Last edited by Aaron on Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Mach10 wrote:I get my paycheque replacing dell hard-drives.
No, you get your paycheck.

:la:
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

i will never buy a dell - seen far too many die and the worste possible times
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

Aaron wrote:
No, you get your paycheck.

:la:
Paycheque you sister-slamming yankee hillbilly. :thumbleft:

I'd like to note that I am NOT Dell tech support.

I'm a freelance nerd on contract by Dell to save them from being sued out of a contract by taking the load off an internal IT department.

Of like 2200 units we have rolled out, I've so-far replace 4-500 of them.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Mach10 wrote: I'd like to note that I am NOT Dell tech support.
We already knew that, you spoke English.
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

:laughing:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The Latitude laptop line has some SERIOUS issues, and they like to eat hard drives AND motherboards at an unbelieveable rate.

That is ALL my department does; replace laptop motherboards, hard-drives, etc.

Retarded high failiure rate. I wouldn't take one.
I should qualify my above statements by saying that the two Dell's I've owned have both been INSPIRONs. I've likewise heard bad things about the Latitude line.

I bought my laptops used off eBay. I don't need the newest and best and it's MUCH cheaper than buying elsewhere. Like anything, there are risks if you don't do your homework. My point in bringing that up is that I've never had to deal with Dell customer support because I've never had a new laptop.
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

I've got the [dis]honor of holding a whole folder full of Dell "certifications." All this means is that I've taken apart and reassembled pretty much the entirety of Dell's current and past line of hardware for the last 2 years. Doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about. My 10 years experience elsewhere does that! :thumbleft:

Dell is TERRIBLE for cutting corners wherever they can on their consumer products. Their server and high-end tends to be better since it's cheaper to build them right than it is to hire someone like me to clean up after.

The point being is that especially for the desktop/laptop market, the parts are not great to begin with, and the build quality is suspect.

I can't in good conscience recommend them unless you get one with a warranty. Mostly they are prone to heat failiure with various components. This seems to be a long-term thing, rather than the thing cooking itself in a sitting. The notebooks run too warm due to design flaws, and as a result, the useful life of the components is severely cut short.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

It's hard to package processors with higher and higher heat outputs in smaller and smaller packages without temperatures getting higher and higher. Current high end desktop processors dissipate over 100 watts of power... think about how hot a 100 watt lightbulb gets and consider that the processor is smaller than that...

I've heard that modern high-power laptops can actually burn your thighs if you hold them in your lap as the name would suggest.

An X of mine worked in a Dell call center and said they had to call such computers "Notebooks" or "portables" because of the aforementioned problem with them being "laptops".
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

Ok, Dell is out. I wouldn't touch a Gateway with a 10 foot pole. eMachines is out too since they're partners with Gateway. I'll look at HP, Toshiba, and Sony. What about Acer? And I am still wondering about Ibuypower.
04 VW GTI 1.8T - APR 93. Weitec 60/40 Cup Kit. GHL Intake. Neuspeed 28mm RSB. Peloquin's Differential.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

derangedsheep wrote:Ok, Dell is out. I wouldn't touch a Gateway with a 10 foot pole. eMachines is out too since they're partners with Gateway. I'll look at HP, Toshiba, and Sony. What about Acer? And I am still wondering about Ibuypower.
Good decision(s).
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Go for the IBM/Lenovo or an Apple. I use a Toshiba every day and the quality of the trackpad,clickers and keyboard leave a lot to be desired. It's a Tecra M2 if anyone is curious.
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

No Apples. Not compatable enough with the programs I run (can't run Counterstrike and Day of Defeat, haha). And the amount of support sucks. 90 days of phone support? No thanks.

I had looked at the Thinkpads, but they're a bit on the pricey side. They do hold up though, we have 2 and they're built like tanks.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I also play a lot of DoD, I get about 70-80fps ont he laptop. Not too bad.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

If you're buying it for games, I wouldn't buy the apple. I'd buy an alientware. I'll bet you could run Counterstrike or anything else taht the IBM can run if you boot XP. You also can buy extended warranty. I bought a 3 year warranty with the iBook I had through school. You can also bring it into any apple store and have it serviced there. The KOP store has/had hot girls that work there.

Weren't you just posting about buying a $15k car? The computer is a much better investment in yourself for school then the car would be.
derangedsheep wrote:No Apples. Not compatable enough with the programs I run (can't run Counterstrike and Day of Defeat, haha). And the amount of support sucks. 90 days of phone support? No thanks.

I had looked at the Thinkpads, but they're a bit on the pricey side. They do hold up though, we have 2 and they're built like tanks.