88 V6 vs. 88 V8 weights on 4 pad race scales. Actual data.

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Chase Race

88 V6 vs. 88 V8 weights on 4 pad race scales. Actual data.

Post by Chase Race »

Unbeknownst to me, Dave Sweet, aka crazyd, moved out to my neck of the woods earlier this year. Through a random chain of other car geeks we both recently discovered this, and Dave came over tonight. We checked out each others' cars, drove around, BS'd about cars and stuff, and had a beer, as all car people are supposed to do when they get together.

We also put both his car and my car on my scales. Here's what we found.

Since I'm a stickler for details, this post is going to include way too many.

The cars:

'88 Formula
5-spd Getrag, PW, PL, tilt, cruise, AC, sunroof
Stock wheels and tire sizes

'88 GT
5-spd Getrag, PW, PL, PM, tilt, cruise, AC, sunroof
18x8 245/40-18 rear, 17x7 225/40-17 front
12" 'Vette rotors with adaptors and stock calipers
Battery in front

The first thing we did was drive both cars to the gas station and fill them up with gas, so both tanks are full.

The scales:

I have a set of these: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc ... ?RecID=851 I've weighed a bunch of cars on them and I've found that they tend to be consistant within about a percent. I do not know how accurate the total weights are, but for my normal purposes the connsistancy is what matters so I haven't upgraded to the good digital scales yet.

The short version of that is: Don't swear by the actual weights, but the relative weights of the cars is close, as are the percentages.

The testing method:

1) Weigh Formula
2) Weigh GT
3) Weigh Formula again to check for scale consistancy. As mentioned above, it was within a percent.

All weights are without driver.

The picture of Dave's car on the scales with mine in the background:

The data:

1) Formula

Code: Select all

LF		RF		Front
620		660		1280
				43.3%

Total			

LR		RR		Rear
828		848		1676
				56.7%
Left		Right		
1448		1508		
49.0%		51.0%		

LR+RF diagonal				
50.3%				

RR+LF diagonal				
49.7%				

2) GT

LF		RF		Front
612		692		1304
				41.6%

Total			

LR		RR		Rear
928		904		1832
				58.4%
Left		Right		
1540		1596		
49.1%		50.9%		

LR+RF diagonal				
51.7%				

RR+LF diagonal				
48.3%				

3) Formula again

LF		RF		Front
612		652		1264
				43.1%

Total			

LR		RR		Rear
848		824		1672
				56.9%
Left		Right		
1460		1476		
49.7%		50.3%		

LR+RF diagonal
51.1%

RR+LF diagonal
48.9%

The summary:

The V8 GT is 180-200lbs heavier than the similarly optioned V6 Formula, and carries about 1.5% more of its weight on the rear tires.

Because the published weight difference between the Formula and the GT was largely due to their difference in base options, I think most of this is due to the V8. Dave said 180lbs is what V8Archie has been saying, and our data agrees with this. Admittedly, the Formula vs. GT body panel weight difference is one variable that we didn't hold constant. I guess we need to figure out a way to get my scales, my Formula, Dave's V8 GT, and Dave's V6 GT in the same place. I can probably scrounge up some digital scales for that.

My thoughts on V8 Fieros and the importance of the weight difference:

First, thank you very much Dave for letting me drive your car. I really enjoyed it.

As far as straight line acceleration, this is the fastest Fiero that I've driven so far. In addition to the two stock motors, I've driven a couple 3.4 DOHCs and a NA 3800.

I've said in the past that I'm not a V8 guy because I thought a high winding motor suited the character of the car better. I must say that after driving that small block, "really stinking fast" suits the character of the car pretty well, too. :)

Is that extra 180lbs and 1.5% rear weight important? Not really. I say that with the knowledge and experience that in a race car 180lbs is huge. But these aren't race cars, they're street cars. Look at it this way: how much of a handling difference do you notice when your friend jumps in the passenger seat? Because that's the weight difference we're talking about.

The extra power more than makes up for it with any kind of driving that is safe or legal on the street. Dave and I drove some twisties (and we all know Fieros rule in the twisties) and the car handles quite well.

So is there a small block Fiero in my future? Nah, but only because it's not really my style. But I'll jump at every chance I get to drive one. :thumbleft:

Thanks Dave!
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
425-269-5636
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

i've heard many times how crazy dave did his ZZ4 right and has one of the fastest NA v8 fieros

besides i love that color
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

DAMN
I thought these things weighed down in the 2600's......
but, this is a full load of fuel too.....

edit: just to scatter the thread...how much they weigh on the moon? :angel:
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Pyrthian wrote:DAMN
I thought these things weighed down in the 2600's......
but, this is a full load of fuel too.....

edit: just to scatter the thread...how much they weigh on the moon? :angel:
i think the base coupe 84's did

skinny tires, narrow steel wheels, 4cyl engine, no a/c, no power options.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Yeah, 2936 for a stock Formula is a bit tubby.

Petroleum is about 7#/gal (water is 8), so an 11.5 gallon tank adds about 80# to the car's weight... just enough for an empty tank to make a difference in the 1/4 mile.

If Dave were REALLY a baller, he'd have built that ZZ430 repro in an aluminum block. :thumbleft:
Chase Race

Post by Chase Race »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Yeah, 2936 for a stock Formula is a bit tubby.
Agreed. I think my scales read a bit heavy overall. But like I said, they're consistant and that's good enough for my current purposes.

For comparison, I've had my Formula on 4 pad digital scales twice at National Tour autocrosses. Both times it had a half tank of gas, sunroof out, spare tire removed. Once it weighed 2690 and once it weighed 2770. The 80lb difference between those two weights is a mystery to me, but I think they're closer to reality than the 2936 that my scales read.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
425-269-5636
crazyd

Post by crazyd »

Okay, here's my first post to RFT. Let me start by getting a few things out of the way:

1 - Thanks to Howard for starting this alternative to Pennock's where we can all speak (mostly) fuckin' freely

2 - Good to see lots of the oldskool people I knew from Pennock's here

3 - I'm not interested in debating which engine swap is best, I don't think a V8 swap is the best, and I have a lot of respect for the other swaps that people have done; you don't have to prove anything to me

4 - I am not an expert on engines or heads but I have enough sense to know that things must be engineered to work together, and mixing and matching parts based on their marketing is a good way to be disappointed

5 - I have broken a lot of parts and had a lot of problems with this car over the years, but I've stuck it out and put a lot of time, money and hard work into fixing them because I believed there was a light at the end of the tunnel; I'm very proud of where it is today, so don't insult me for what I've accomplished because you have no idea what I've been through

6 - I am reluctant to discuss the problems I've had in public because it is of no benefit to me and because of the potential repercussions of doing so

7 - This car was not designed or built like most V8s and if you'd like to know how it is different I will discuss it

8 - I know everyone likes numbers, but this is my car, it isn't for sale, and I'm not making any claims that my car is the world's fastest so don't ask me to prove anything by posting timeslips or dyno numbers because I have neither the time, money nor inclination to do so

9 - The power and torque figures for the ZZ430 engine are well-documented and easy to find independently on the Internet, my engine uses all stock GM parts and they were all engineered to work together

10 - I am not a mouthpiece for V8Archie

Okay, glad that's out of the way.

Doug - if I had a garage like yours I'd only leave the house for test drives.

My only addition to this is that I'd like to weigh my '88 V6 GT as well for comparison because it's very close to what my V8 GT was like before it was upgraded. Also if anyone has curb weight numbers for 1988 Formula vs 1988 GT post 'em up, I couldn't find anything on Google.

Dave
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Although inaccurate, I weighed my 88GT (Doug's old car) at a truck stop on my way home. It was 2980 with me in it, and about a half tank of gas IIRC. So figure about 2800 +- 40 for gas. The car is a hardtop, 5-speed, PW/PL/PM, no performance sound, no spare tire.
Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

FWIW, my 87 Coupe weighed in at 2920 lbs w/o driver + 1/2 tank of fuel back when it was still running the 3800 Series II N/A. This is with the same 4T60-E auto I am running now. Other car options were PW, PL, SubW, 16" alum GA GT wheels. I estimate the turbo and all related hardware that I installed since the N/A engine probably added at most another 80lbs to the overall weight of the car. I agree with Will that Chase's Forumla does sound a bit on the heavy side for a stick car.

My car was weighed at a local hi-perf / dyno shop on digital race car scales, 1 per wheel. About 59% of the total weight was on the rear wheels.

-ryan
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED
Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions | www.gmtuners.com
crazyd

Post by crazyd »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Petroleum is about 7#/gal (water is 8), so an 11.5 gallon tank adds about 80# to the car's weight... just enough for an empty tank to make a difference in the 1/4 mile.
Dunno why you're saying I put oil in my gas tank, but I have gasoline in it, and gasoline only weighs 6#/gal. :scratch:
If Dave were REALLY a baller, he'd have built that ZZ430 repro in an aluminum block. :thumbleft:
This car was originally to have an LS1, which as most people know is an aluminum block, but after waiting three years for V8Archie to get off his ass and build it, I finally called it quits in April 2002 and built it with the ZZ430 instead. I didn't use an aluminum block on that engine because I was already $10 grand into the engine and injection, and the bank account was tapped out. Fun as it is to theorize with unlimited funds, reality steps in at some point on a real project and I decided a car that ran with an iron block was better than one that was unfinished with an aluminum block. If you think of how many "never finished" Fiero engine swap and resto projects are out there, believe me it's a real concern. It's not a decision I regret.

Dave
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

crazyd wrote: If you think of how many "never finished" Fiero engine swap and resto projects are out there, believe me it's a real concern. It's not a decision I regret.

Dave
:uhoh:

someone looking at my swap? its not my fault i haven't had time to even touch it in the last 3 months.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

At least you started your's...
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

crazyd wrote:
6 - I am reluctant to discuss the problems I've had in public because it is of no benefit to me and because of the potential repercussions of doing so
This is what I am having trouble with. On this board you can discuss things like this without fear of repurcussions. I mean you aren't going to get banned or anything for doing so. This board likes the truth. Mentioning the problems you have had shouldn't affect anyone else in a bad way should it? Or maybe it will? I really wish you would discuss some problems you had. Could benefit otehr people considering a V8 swap and what they might be getting themselves into.

8 - I know everyone likes numbers, but this is my car, it isn't for sale, and I'm not making any claims that my car is the world's fastest so don't ask me to prove anything by posting timeslips or dyno numbers because I have neither the time, money nor inclination to do so
A member over on the otehr board said you dynoed just under 300 whp with your setup. Care to comment on that?

Also thanks for signing up and enjoy your stay.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

BEWARE OF BEN PHELPS. YOU HAVE VEEN WARNED. WORSE THAN MILZY IMO

530 whp is greater than 312
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

Welcome aboard, Dave. You're not the only V8 owner here.

Which ZZ430 did you get? #430 turned up on ebay a little while back.

I've been trying to find one for quite awhile but all I turn up are fakes. A place in Oregon bought a bunch of mexican ZZ4s and slapped fast burn heads on them, an LT4 cam and flooded the market trying to pass them off as ZZ430s. No balance, no blueprinting, no handbuilt assembly. They only dyno in the 375 range.
crazyd

Post by crazyd »

Shaun - This is still a public forum. Freedom of speech means you can say anything you want, but it doesn't necessarily mean you should.

MN - The engine in my car wasn't one of the serial-numbered, limited-run GM-built units, those were all sold in 1998 and were carbureted. The parts list is no secret and all the mechanical components are publicly available. Mine is technically a clone, but as far as I'm concerned authenticity only applies to an engine when it is assembled as a part of a car at the factory, the rest is just marketing hype. Not even the originals were ever B&B'd, dunno where you heard that. Only original GM, ZZ430-spec parts were used in my engine and it is unmodified from that spec, with the exception of the intake manifold which had to be different in order for it to be injected instead of carbed. Slapping Edelbrock heads or a Crane cam on a ZZ4 block and calling it a ZZ430, now that's a fake. My engine was purchased from Street & Performance, and hand assembled by them from pan to plenum.

As far as the ones from Mexico, be aware that things sold by U.S. manufacturers in third-world countries are the ones that didn't pass internal quality control or wouldn't meet U.S. standards. You don't have to go to Mexico to get a ZZ4, but even a base fast burn is rated at 385hp so these must have had some really loose tolerances.

Dave
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

crazyd wrote:Shaun - This is still a public forum. Freedom of speech means you can say anything you want, but it doesn't necessarily mean you should.

MN - The engine in my car wasn't one of the serial-numbered, limited-run GM-built units, those were all sold in 1998 and were carbureted. The parts list is no secret and all the mechanical components are publicly available. Mine is technically a clone, but as far as I'm concerned authenticity only applies to an engine when it is assembled as a part of a car at the factory, the rest is just marketing hype. Not even the originals were ever B&B'd, dunno where you heard that. Only original GM, ZZ430-spec parts were used in my engine and it is unmodified from that spec, with the exception of the intake manifold which had to be different in order for it to be injected instead of carbed. Slapping Edelbrock heads or a Crane cam on a ZZ4 block and calling it a ZZ430, now that's a fake. My engine was purchased from Street & Performance, and hand assembled by them from pan to plenum.

As far as the ones from Mexico, be aware that things sold by U.S. manufacturers in third-world countries are the ones that didn't pass internal quality control or wouldn't meet U.S. standards. You don't have to go to Mexico to get a ZZ4, but even a base fast burn is rated at 385hp so these must have had some really loose tolerances.

Dave
crazyd wrote: MN - The engine in my car wasn't one of the serial-numbered, limited-run GM-built units, those were all sold in 1998 and were carbureted.
Dude, that sucks.

No, Dave. It's not technically a clone, it IS a clone. I really wish you wouldn't represent it as a ZZ430 if it isn't one. All it does is add to the crappy reputation V8 owners already have.

Yes, the originals were balanced, blueprinted and assembled by teams of builders at GMPP. Instead of being assembled on an assembly 'line', each engine was built in teams-the same small group assembled it from crank to carb. After they were done, the engine was dyno'd to confirm it made it's advertised horsepower and shipped with a copy of that very dynosheet .

Slapping anything on any motor and calling it a ZZ430 if it isn't one--now that's a fake.

That's all I'm going to say about it.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

crazyd wrote:Shaun - This is still a public forum. Freedom of speech means you can say anything you want, but it doesn't necessarily mean you should.
So not going to comment on what members on Old Europe have said about your dyno numbers then? Should I assume what they said is true?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Thanks for joining and posting, Dave.
I ALWAYS want to hear things straight from the source. I think that this is important for the integrity of this forum as a technical resource.
crazyd wrote:5 - I have broken a lot of parts and had a lot of problems with this car over the years, but I've stuck it out and put a lot of time, money and hard work into fixing them because I believed there was a light at the end of the tunnel; I'm very proud of where it is today, so don't insult me for what I've accomplished because you have no idea what I've been through
I don't think anyone was insulting you other than perhaps stereotyping you as the typical V8 Fiero owner with an expensive turnkey swap that makes 250 WHP and runs 13's.
crazyd wrote:6 - I am reluctant to discuss the problems I've had in public because it is of no benefit to me and because of the potential repercussions of doing so

7 - This car was not designed or built like most V8s and if you'd like to know how it is different I will discuss it
I think that if the problems you encountered could be stumbling blocks to others, then they ought to be brought to light. If you have a problem with a *person* rather than an aspect of your car, that is, of course, between the two of you, but I'd like to hear about the car related problems you've had.

I'd also like to hear about what's different in your swap.
crazyd wrote:8 - I know everyone likes numbers, but this is my car, it isn't for sale, and I'm not making any claims that my car is the world's fastest so don't ask me to prove anything by posting timeslips or dyno numbers because I have neither the time, money nor inclination to do so
Umm... Not going to win any friends here with that attitude... but it's your car.
Formula69

Post by Formula69 »

Dave,
I'm looking at doing a ZZ4, or similar, swap. I would be interested in any and all info you can offer - possible problems to look out for, things to beef up, etc.

It would be preferable to learn from someone else's experience rather than have to go through the same problems on my own.

Feel free to PM or email me if you'd rather that be an offline discussion.
crazyd

Post by crazyd »

MNFatz wrote:
crazyd wrote: MN - The engine in my car wasn't one of the serial-numbered, limited-run GM-built units, those were all sold in 1998 and were carbureted.
Dude, that sucks.

No, Dave. It's not technically a clone, it IS a clone. I really wish you wouldn't represent it as a ZZ430 if it isn't one. All it does is add to the crappy reputation V8 owners already have.

Yes, the originals were balanced, blueprinted and assembled by teams of builders at GMPP. Instead of being assembled on an assembly 'line', each engine was built in teams-the same small group assembled it from crank to carb. After they were done, the engine was dyno'd to confirm it made it's advertised horsepower and shipped with a copy of that very dynosheet .

Slapping anything on any motor and calling it a ZZ430 if it isn't one--now that's a fake.

That's all I'm going to say about it.
Man, you've picked the wrong guy to start a fight with. With something that should start out so simple, I've got this armchair keyboard jockey calling me a fraud over yet another trivial detail about whether an engine's name is still its name if its pedigree doesn't match up to the press release from GM's marketing department. It's time for the beacon of reality. As Will's dark side has so eloquently stated elsewhere, "you need a more advanced bullshit filter, dude." Those 430 engines were a gimmick from the marketing department, with pretty words in the press release "written by people with fine arts degrees condescending to the public" to give them a reason to spend more on something than it's worth. GM's marketing hacks do this all the time because it's their job to convince you that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts when they have to sell something they've put together from the public parts bin. And apparently, you're their tool. So tell me Mr. Fatz, is a Northstar still a Northstar if it has been rebuilt? Does that make it a Northstar "clone"? What if you put a different cam in it, or do something as simple as replace the PCV valve or use non-GM oil? Should we still call that a Northstar? Does it really matter? Nobody cares, dude. I have a difficult enough time explaining what a Fiero is to the unwashed masses, much less trying to explain what a ZZ430 is. Now quit your callow nitpicking before you really piss me off.