couple questions. whats the dea with this "like its on

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

84fierotrevor

couple questions. whats the dea with this "like its on

Post by 84fierotrevor »

ok ever since I have got into fieros back in 2001 now on my 6th fiero
all I have heard the past 5 years over and over from many fiero owners is that the car handles like its on rails. or feels like your on rails. its so nembel. or how it will own most other cars in the corners and twistys.

what the fuck? in the past 5 years I have owned over 27 different cars that range from a bmw m3 to a bone stock 96 auto cavalier to a srt4 to a firebird formula 6 speed to a miata and ect. ect. of all the other cars I have had I hate to say it but I think the fiero handles the worst or close to it.
I hoestley think my pile of shit bone stock automatic 1996 cavalier woulda owned my fiero in the corners. if I take a corner to sharp in the fiero at any decent speed the ass wants to slide out really easy. its like its ass is way to heavy. I have nothing in the trunk so it isn't that. sure a lot of my other cars had more body roll but for handling the fiero feels heavy slugish and not nible or "on rails" what so ever.

number two:
whenever I hear the above bullshit it often comes in a sentence like this: yeah the fiero handles great but once u push it past its limit you better hold on because your along for the ride!, nothing u can do but pray, or once u lose it u just can't get it back.

I don't get this above shit ether?? what am I not understanding?

almost all the cars I own I like to get a feel for em. I like to drive em hard. and sometimes I just like to fuck around when its apropreite.
so most of my cars. except cars I like to collect or are rare "like my white 86 gt that I havnt taken over 3 thousand rpms or driven much and when I have its ben extreamly light in a effort to preserve it. expessily the rwd ones have had the back end slide out quiet a few times. this includes my fiero
mostly on purpose but I do recall one time when driving thru the mall parking lot in my red 87 gt late for work one time the sprinkler had made the ground wet and I slide it out pretty far. but weather fucking around or on accident the fiero has not been any harder to keep control of then most of my other cars with the exception of the m3 and also not including the sti because of the awd. and I have had the fiero sideways almost lock to lock. what's so hard about keeping it under control? the back end obveisly feels hevier but it has never whipped me around out of control, and I have never had any trouble brining it right back behind me, its actualy easier to control then when u force a oversteer on a fwd ca with the e brake because u can use the rwd at slower speeds to bring it back by powering it back behind u with ur rear wheels spinning.
I posted these questions over here because I know the people on nl will get upset that I don't agree with the on rails everyone claims the fieo to be.

so lets see how bad I hurt your guys feelings cause I don't agree with you all at all on these two subjects..

does ANYONE else at all feel like me on ether of these subjects or am I the only one?
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

most people are comparing the fiero to other 80's junk - in which case it does handle really well - unfortunately it takes some work to make one handle as well as anything with more modern suspension setup

the fiero also requires a different driving style than pretty much any car that isn't mid engine rwd. its bad in traily throttle. good on the gas. needs a wider tire in the rear (don't like driving it with anything less than a 225 prefferably 245+)

can't really compare to anything new like an sti - i love my subaru

mostly i think people say that the fiero feels like its on rails due to low amount of body roll
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I think they say handles like it's on rails because handles like a dump truck doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

OK, if you don't drive your car hard enough to push it past it's envelope, then you aren't going to see the advantage that a mid-engined drivetrain (which by default the Fiero is catagorized as) over other chassis.

So basically you drive like a pussy. Get a Buick.
cactus bastard

Post by cactus bastard »

Right. Um I think this guy actually had a few good things to say. He said he did drive it fairly hard, and that it behaved fairly well at it's limits. He just didn't think people should be praising it as the be all - end all, which is pretty fair. The fiero can be set up to handle pretty well, but how many are?
Why would you eat bad ice cream?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I have to say, the work I've done to my 86 fiero has made it handle 10x better.

Aluminum cradle bushings, poly suspension bushings, new shocks and struts and wider tires in the rear.

I'm running 215s in the front and 245s in the rear. With all these small improvements, it adds up to big gains in the handling department.

A bone stock fiero on 215 tires will suck in every way. 20 year old suspension needs to be replaced with new parts. Getting rid of the old squishy cradle and suspension bushings makes a huge difference.

Try riding in a fiero that has these upgrades and get back to me on how you feel it handles.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

I did. The only things new on my car are the rear struts. And mine sucks by comparison.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

crzyone wrote: A bone stock fiero on 215 tires will suck in every way. 20 year old suspension needs to be replaced with new parts. Getting rid of the old squishy cradle and suspension bushings makes a huge difference.
Agreed.

With some minor mods and proper tires and alignment, the Fiero has VERY good handling. There are plenty of cars that handle better, but it's by no means a slouch..
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Series8217 wrote: With some minor mods and proper tires and alignment, the Fiero has VERY good handling. There are plenty of cars that handle better, but it's by no means a slouch..
I agree also.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
84fierotrevor

Post by 84fierotrevor »

stimpy wrote:OK, if you don't drive your car hard enough to push it past it's envelope, then you aren't going to see the advantage that a mid-engined drivetrain (which by default the Fiero is catagorized as) over other chassis.

stimpy I push my cars harder then u could ever plow your wife don't tell me how I drive.
you have never even seen me drive. maybe u didn't understand what I was emplying but what the general point was that the fiero is no harder to regain control of with the back out then any other car. any idiot can spin there car out and lose control.I'm talking about everyone saying how once the back slides out ur done with and u can't correct it. I've had the fiero slide sideways tell the whel wouldn't turn anymore and had no control bringing the back end behind me.

drive lik a pussy my ass, when was the last time u rode a wheelie out to 120 on your R1

I still stand by both my statements the fiero handles like ass. atleast in stock form. which is what most people claiming this handles on rails bullshit drive. and the car is NOT hard to control on a slide.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

You should go driving with me in the canyons above LA in a few weeks. Bring your Fiero. You'll see what a difference some minor modifications make.

We'll also see if you drive as hard as you say.
84fierotrevor

Post by 84fierotrevor »

Series8217 wrote:You should go driving with me in the canyons above LA in a few weeks. Bring your Fiero. You'll see what a difference some minor modifications make.

I'm moving from medford to san fransico on the 1st. but I'm definitly down to drive some canyons. I think I should bring my R1 too so I can carve some canyons

let me know when u go I will be hitting up hb a lot in the next few months because I'm making some trips out to glamis and occitilo wells to ride my dirtbike with some friends
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

84fierotrevor wrote:
stimpy wrote:OK, if you don't drive your car hard enough to push it past it's envelope, then you aren't going to see the advantage that a mid-engined drivetrain (which by default the Fiero is catagorized as) over other chassis.

stimpy I push my cars harder then u could ever plow your wife don't tell me how I drive.
You say that like it's an accomplishment.
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

first off - you need fresh suspension. whether you improve on it, or not, whatever - but old ball joints, old shocks & struts, old springs, old a-arm bushings, old cradle bushings, old tie-rod ends (ESPECIALLY the rears), old bearings
2nd - the rear end is stupid touchy. any of the above will basicly cripple your handling.
3rd - alignment. its hard to get a good alignment, most places forget, or dont care about the rear. see above.
4th - must be driven different. RWD & mid engine is a great combo. but, its better for getting out of a corner, than getting into a corner.
5th - I dunno what you did wrong with yours, but it is wrong. normally, if you go into a corner to fast with stock, or close to stock Fiero, the FRONT slides, not the rear. you are either letting off the gas, or your rear suspension is way off.

anyways, what you are not undertsanding is the rear is WAY fussy. EVERYTHING has to be right & tight. and when it is, yes - its on rails. and again, if you are taking a turn to fast - normally its the front that slides. chances are, your rear toe is so bad you only have 1 tire actually getting traction at any one time, and thats why your ass is all over the place.
84fierotrevor

Post by 84fierotrevor »

Pyrthian wrote:first off - you need fresh suspension. whether you improve on it, or not, whatever - but old ball joints, old shocks & struts, old springs, old a-arm bushings, old cradle bushings, old tie-rod ends (ESPECIALLY the rears), old bearings
2nd - the rear end is stupid touchy. any of the above will basicly cripple your handling.
3rd - alignment. its hard to get a good alignment, most places forget, or dont care about the rear. see above.
4th - must be driven different. RWD & mid engine is a great combo. but, its better for getting out of a corner, than getting into a corner.
5th - I dunno what you did wrong with yours, but it is wrong. normally, if you go into a corner to fast with stock, or close to stock Fiero, the FRONT slides, not the rear. you are either letting off the gas, or your rear suspension is way off.

anyways, what you are not undertsanding is the rear is WAY fussy. EVERYTHING has to be right & tight. and when it is, yes - its on rails. and again, if you are taking a turn to fast - normally its the front that slides. chances are, your rear toe is so bad you only have 1 tire actually getting traction at any one time, and thats why your ass is all over the place.
outa curiosity what is the weight distribution of the fiero? normal and while under acceleration?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

84fierotrevor wrote:
Series8217 wrote:You should go driving with me in the canyons above LA in a few weeks. Bring your Fiero. You'll see what a difference some minor modifications make.

I'm moving from medford to san fransico on the 1st. but I'm definitly down to drive some canyons. I think I should bring my R1 too so I can carve some canyons
Don't take the bike. You'll die.
let me know when u go I will be hitting up hb a lot in the next few months because I'm making some trips out to glamis and occitilo wells to ride my dirtbike with some friends
I try to get out to the canyons every weekend. When are you going to be around?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

84fierotrevor wrote:
Pyrthian wrote:first off - you need fresh suspension. whether you improve on it, or not, whatever - but old ball joints, old shocks & struts, old springs, old a-arm bushings, old cradle bushings, old tie-rod ends (ESPECIALLY the rears), old bearings

outa curiosity what is the weight distribution of the fiero? normal and while under acceleration?
V6 Fiero is like 45/55
84fierotrevor

Post by 84fierotrevor »

Series8217 wrote:
84fierotrevor wrote:

Don't take the bike. You'll die.
I try to get out to the canyons every weekend. When are you going to be around?
why would i die? anytime after prolly around the 5th of october i will be free since ill have some employees at my new kiosk hired then.
problem is if i take my dirtbike i gota take my truck. and if i take my fiero i cant take my dirtbike. ill have to make a special trip just in the fiero down there. but that isnt a problem. since i wanna go down to the wholesale distrcit in la somtime soon and get some idea for my medford kiosk.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

84fierotrevor wrote: why would i die?
Because traffic goes both ways and there's CARS out there.
I've seen crashes happen. Didn't see anyone die; but its not fun either way. There's many wrecks out there every day. My friend races bikes; he takes his M3 out there. Even he thinks those guys on bikes are nuts.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Run up Calaveras Canyon sounds like fun. I haven't had a real good run in a while. Gotta see if I can still keep up with Steven, now that his car is way better than mine. How bout it?
<Insert Sig Here>