Just picked up a "new" M5

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

bryson

Just picked up a "new" M5

Post by bryson »

Well, my dad picked up a 1988 BMW M5 towards the end of the summer with plans to use the transmission in his M6. Unfortunately (Fortunately?) the car was way too nice for us to take it's transmission and still sleep at night, so I decided to start driving it and cleaning it up. I'll probably sell my Audi and GTI to get together enough money to buy it from him.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Over the summer, I took off the valve cover, throttles, and plenum to clean and paint. There are so many little crevices and stuff -- I used soap and water and a brand new steel brush, and it took me several days (spead out over a couple weeks, since I was working and going to summer classes) to get it prepped for paint. I took a lot of time because I know that paint doesn't always like to hold tight to aluminum. Anyway, I finished it up about a week ago and finally detailed the engine here at Clemson. I used a product called "CD2 engine detailer," which works really well and supposedly leaves a protective "resin" on the parts, which I like because I have sanded down the raised parts on the valve cover and the plenum, exposing bare aluminum. Hopefully it won't oxidize. Also, it doesn't put too much of a shine on the engine and seems to last for awhile.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

I brought a whole lot of life back into the paint of the car, and I'm still considering using a claybar to go even further. I plan on cleaning up the wheels even more, as well as trying my best to do something with the interior. Baby steps, baby steps -- She's come a lonnnnng way!
'87 BMW M6 / '88 BMW M5 / '90 Audi Coupe Quattro / '88 Fiero GT 2.3L Quad4 - 400whp; pump gas
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

That engine looks brand new!! :thumbleft: Got any before pics? Also, what are the specs on those cars?
bryson

Post by bryson »

I snapped a few pictures of the engine bay right when I got the car. It was before I started school back in the fall, so I used my camera instead of my friend's nice one so the pictures aren't near as good quality, but you can still see how disgusting everything was. I still need to button up a few leaks to try and prevent any more crap from getting all over my engine. The valve cover gasket has a slight leak, but a new one is about $50 and the leak isn't bad enough to justify the cost right now. Anyway -- here's how she used to look (I wish I had some before pictures of the paint):

ImageImage
ImageImage

I'm really thrilled with how the engine bay turned out :afrocool:

I'll try to get some more pictures soon. I was thinking about going to Petit Le Mans this weekend, but I dunno anymore. I may go to Deal's Gap instead. Either way, I'll try to get a few more pictures. I just got new roundels and a new ///M badge for the rear of the car. I also buffed the paint with swirl remover yesterday, and I used a claybar last weekend. I have to finish up waxing the paint. It looks so much better in strong sunlight now. I need to love all over the wheels this weekend also :thumbleft:
'87 BMW M6 / '88 BMW M5 / '90 Audi Coupe Quattro / '88 Fiero GT 2.3L Quad4 - 400whp; pump gas
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

All I see is hoses and wires. [/aaron]

Nice car.
84fierotrevor

Post by 84fierotrevor »

m cars are the shizzle nice car!! :thumbleft:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I've always admired the way that engine looks.

Nice car dude :thumbleft:
bryson

Post by bryson »

Me and my roommates took a trip to Deal's Gap (Tail of the Dragon) on Saturday, and managed to snap a few pictures while we were there. We got a video also, but the glare was too bad to make it worth posting. My roommate has a 1.6L 20v in his MR2 (165hp stock from a 1.6L!) -- that car looked like a whole lot of fun on those mountain roads. I was so impressed with the M5 -- I walked away from a pair of Suzuki GSX-R 750's. I talked to one of them after the run and he seemed to be really impressed with the car. I also met a guy with a 2001 M5, who invited me for a run up and down the mountain with his friend in the C6 Corvette. I was behind the M5, with the 'Vette behind me. I didn't have near the acceleration of the other cars (or the gearing -- the other M5 was in 2nd gear the whole time), but I managed to stay with the M5 for awhile. I started to overdrive my car, though, and he started to pull away because I lost my composure :nono: -- I drove too hot into the turns and understeered a bit.
Both those guys were really impressed with the car as well. One of the best feelings was letting this hotshot on a sport bike pass me (across a double yellow) with a mohawk on his helmet, then hanging with him through the next several turns. I also got a few pictures of the interior of the car. It's not half bad, but the front seats are pretty torn up.

At a gas station on the way, then a view on the road over the MR2's dash:
ImageImage

ImageImage

Here are a few interior shots:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

bryson wrote:
Now that is a baddass shot. Nice one man. Car looks sweet.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I like your taste in cars.
S8n

Post by S8n »

The mohawk (usually blue) guys are he locals up there. They know that road better than you would believe.....Awesome pics!
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
bryson

Post by bryson »

Haha thanks guys!

Yeah, his mohawk was blue -- I was cruizing pretty slowly and I let him pass, then couldn't hold back and romped on it. I was with him for several turns, but I was out of gas and my car started jerkign and sputtering really badly when accelerating hard out of a turn uphill (go figure). I'm going to try to get some videos next time I go (new tires this weekend, Deal's Gap the next :afrocool: )
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

That is a nice BMW! I'll bet it handles better than a Fiero. I know my 525 handles better than my Fiero and my BMW has 160K miles on it. If only my 2001 E39 was a M5 and not a 525. At least it has the manual transmission.