IRS vs live axle

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

bryson

IRS vs live axle

Post by bryson »

What are the benefits and drawbacks of each? I just picked up an older Corolla and it has a live rear axle. I'm considering changing some things around on the rear end anyway, and I'm trying to decide if it would be worth my time to put together an independent rear. What do you guys think? Would a properly tuned 4-link solid rear be at a significant disadvantage to an independent rear?
'87 BMW M6 / '88 BMW M5 / '90 Audi Coupe Quattro / '88 Fiero GT 2.3L Quad4 - 400whp; pump gas
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

What I've read says there aren't many handling advantages of IRS over a GOOD live axle setup on smooth pavement. The live axle's primary drawback is unsprung weight, which gives IRS a noticeable advantage on rough or bumpy surfaces.
Last edited by The Dark Side of Will on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

dude... AE86?
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

a solid axle is better for flat pavement - like a dragstrip
if theres any unevenness, then the IRS is better

when the pavement gets uneven, the solid axle will not be "flat" against the pavement, which mean the tires wont be as "flat", which means less traction.
Tha Driver

Post by Tha Driver »

:salute:
sayonara
Last edited by Tha Driver on Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Pyrthian wrote:a solid axle is better for flat pavement - like a dragstrip

when the pavement gets uneven, the solid axle will not be "flat" against the pavement, which mean the tires wont be as "flat", which means less traction.

What makes the live axle "better"?
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Tha Driver wrote:Unsprung weight - especially on bumpy roads like Will said.
On "an old corolla" why bother? Why even ask? :scratch: :angel:
A question that can be asked of most vehicle modifications. We all should be driving identical Chevy Impala sedans.
product1620

Post by product1620 »

AE86 FTW? going drifting?
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:

less chance of the wheels chattering
and handles the "lean" of the car better when you have a majorly torqy motor
and, usually much stronger

beleive me - all weak arguements - I'm for IRS
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Pyrthian wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:

less chance of the wheels chattering
and handles the "lean" of the car better when you have a majorly torqy motor
and, usually much stronger

beleive me - all weak arguements - I'm for IRS
I'll help you get rid of those weak arguments, then.

Wheel hop isn't determined by chance... it's determined by suspension settings. Wheel hop is a sign of a very specific tuning problem. Live axles are somewhat less susceptible to it because they're SOOO DAM HEAVY.

Live axle CAUSES the car to torque over with a powerful engine. IRS does not.

Corvettes and Mustang Cobras can put down a hell of a lot of power. There's a company that makes IRS parts for C2/C3 Vettes that's NHRA legal to 7.50's.
product1620

Post by product1620 »

Didin't the "terminators" have really bad wheel hop issues???
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
bryson

Post by bryson »

Yeah, it's an AE86 -- I don't plan on ever dragging the car, nor do I plan to do any drifting. I'm excited because it has all the things that I like about my older VW's, but it has all the cool stuff that Toyota was doing in the 80's. I am going to build the car up to really enjoy the mountain roads up here and to track as often as I can afford. I don't know if the advantages of an IRS will be worth the fabrication and money required to make it work. I may look into it much later, but I won't make it a priority.
'87 BMW M6 / '88 BMW M5 / '90 Audi Coupe Quattro / '88 Fiero GT 2.3L Quad4 - 400whp; pump gas
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

Not worth it to convert an old live axle car like a Corolla to IRS in my opinion.

I love IRS's, but this is what I would do if I was making one.
Take a Ford 9in rear end and fill it with the best internals you need for the power level you are at.
Cut the axle tubes off.
Make a box for it and attach the box to the chassis so the rear end if seperate from the suspension.
Run halfshafts to the hubs, and make a good old double a arm suspension.
1988 Pontiac Fiero

Ecotec swap taking much too long...
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

bryson wrote:all the cool stuff that Toyota was doing in the 80's.
You mean, like, Rusting? :thumbleft:
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Mach10 wrote:
bryson wrote:all the cool stuff that Toyota was doing in the 80's.
You mean, like, Rusting? :thumbleft:
lol, thats what they like to do here in Canada, cant take the cold or something.
Tha Driver

Post by Tha Driver »

sayonara
Last edited by Tha Driver on Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tha Driver

Post by Tha Driver »

sayonara
Last edited by Tha Driver on Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

The machining would cost me nothing.
It would allow me to have a bulletproof rear end, have the suspension geometry as I want it and know it is stiff.
When was the last time you saw a stock Jag or Z rear-end take over 800 ft-lbs with slicks?
Now I wouldnt do unless I had an insane motor but its just fantasy.
1988 Pontiac Fiero

Ecotec swap taking much too long...
bryson

Post by bryson »

Haha yeah yeah the rust -- don't get me started. Finding a clean chassis is damn near impossible. I just liked Toyota's lineup, and after being under a few clean ones (mainly the MR2 and MKII Supra), I really like how a lot of things were done. It's all kind of quirky and cool. Not to mention, I love the 4AGE series of engines.

Mainly, I like the 2200lb curb weight and the potential for relatively little money. I've got a 1.6L 20v engine that is the same code as the stock engine, just a newer iteration that I'm going to build and put in the car. I won't be making insane amounts of power, so I'm going to try to use the lightest rear end that will still hold the power. Hopefully the stock rear will hold up. I should only be making 300hp or so, and I'm not going to do any hard launces or anything, so hopefully it will hold. If not, I've looked at everything from a Volvo solid rear (uses a Dana 330) to a RX7 TurboII, a C4 Vette, and 1g DSM rear. It would be slick to be able to use more aluminum suspension components, but the stock stuff seems pretty decent.

My goal is to have a car that is comparable to the Elise or Miata, but for significantly less money. I initially wanted a mkI mr2, but I like the room I have with a hatchback. I love the idea of being able to throw four tires in the trunk and head to an autocross or track day. Also, it's got a lot of what I really like about the Celica Supra, only much lighter.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Graft in MkII Supra rear suspension. It drops out on a rubber-isolated subframe.