Vista from a power user's perspective. My experience.

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Falcon4

Vista from a power user's perspective. My experience.

Post by Falcon4 »

I think for the first time in my history of running Windows, I actually gave my computer a full scrubbing and re-installing... without even having a problem to begin with. Usually I get so tired of all the broken programs, odd Windows quirks, botched and patched nLite build I made, et cetera, that I just reformat and reinstall. This time, not so much.

I wanted to give Vista a run through its paces. I tried to get in on the Vista preview program thing, but I guess something expired and I got left in the dark. Screw 'em, I'll just torrent the thing. I downloaded it, ran it through vLite to remove 2,500+MB of unnecessary languages and components, then proceeded to burn and install it. Well, after spending a full day torrenting and backing up my crap, then erasing and testing my hard drive, of course.

Full clean install. I pop the disc in, get greeted with an interesting load screen (graphical setup, yay!), and install the thing. I've got to say that Vista installs faster than a full version of XP, surprisingly. Copies files, makes a few adjustments, then bam, it's done. It greeted me with some questions like "enter your product key", which I said "no thanks" to (how do you like that? It doesn't require a key!), my username and password (but no "name and organization" crap either - wow!), et cetera, ad nauseum.

So, now with everything up and running, and an "experience index" of 2.0 (bitches!), Aero Glass in all its kickass fucking glory, all my drivers already pre-installed, everything working like a fucking dream, I get to start the experience. So I plug in my FireWire cable for the 400mbps LAN, and, what do I get?

Bupkis. Not a goddamn thing. Microsoft truly did remove IP over 1394 support. :angry: Slam on Vista #1: Removal of IP over 1394 support.

It's no matter, since what I'm about to find out in a minute is even worse. Okay, so I plug in the rest of my devices... USB hard drives, keyboard, burner, flash drive--... wait, flash drive? It pops up with autorun bullshit like everyone's used to for XP but there's an interesting new menu item. "ReadyBoost" - use this flash device to speed up my computer. Wait, what? Since when can a shitty, slow-ass USB memory stick be used to speed up my computer? Have we really reached that low?

ReadyBoost. Seems like a Flash based swap file that "predicts" what you're going to load next, and loads it onto flash, because god knows, Flash is (somehow) faster than a 5,200RPM hard drive. Flash is crappy at random access. I ran Windows 98 off this Flash drive and it was like watching a waterfall made from molasses. Whatever, I turn it on anyway. I guess it's better than letting that Flash drive sit there unused.

I decide that I want to try "assimilating" into the Microsoft lifestyle. Use IE7, use Windows Media Player, etc... because for one I'm damn tired of being left out of all the "computer ease" that everyone else seems to be doing. It's a pain in the ass to build a DVD or archive video from my camcorder. So there has to be an easier way. I'll find out what the easier way is, because people sure seem to be buying it. I'll put my music in My Music instead of C:\MP3, my downloads in my Downloads folder instead of all over the desktop, pictures organized into Pictures, etc... what a great idea, eh? It's like cleaning my room, digitally.

First step: restore my crap. It's all torrented, like I said, and spread across 2 computers on 3 hard drives (my 100 is my biggest drive, so I had to spread it across 2 20's and a 40). First I grabbed uTorrent 1.6 and... nope. Still unable to map UPnP port. Goddamnit. Okay, so I load the torrent, and... fuck, I need to start the torrent on the other computer. I go to Remote Desktop and log into the other computer. Very interesting. It's asking me for my login before I even connect. Okay, so I type it in. Now it says it can't verify the identity of the computer because it's not running Vista. No shit Sherlock? Whatever, move on. I connect, start it up, then go back to my computer and connect to the peer. Whee! 4MB/s! I could have been getting 15MB/s over Firewire. Bastards. What's this? Disk overloaded? At 4MB/s? What the crap? 3MB/s... 2MB/s... and it stays at 2MB/s the whole way, overloaded the whole way as well. I have to put up with 2-3MB/s transfers for all 25GB of two torrents. :angry:

Slam on Vista #2: Horrendously slow disk performance caused by way too much overhead from unneccessary visual bullshit running at all times.

*ugh* I get the shit restored... well, most of it (I still have at least 3 more torrents - 20gb - to transfer back), and I poke around. It's asking me at every fucking turn if I really authorize this action or that action. Great for keeping the system secure, but if you want to protect against malware, you need to know what to look for in a bad program... people will still click "OK" on programs that are going to kill their system because it was bundled with a program they intentionally downloaded! Like Limewire - or hell, even Live Messenger itself comes with Microsuck spyware! It isn't going to be solved by shitty Linuxlike authorization at every turn...

Windows Defender. Looks like a built-in antispyware program. Yippe, bugger off. It was set to scan my computer "automatically" or some shit... disable the hell out of that. My computer's already running slow enough without it.

It feels like my whole system is running under some kind of emulation layer - like I'm using a G4 PowerBook that's running Virtual PC. Sound - just simple sounds like the MSN "contact sign in" ding - are delayed and choppy. My typing, here, in this box, is unresponsive and laggy. The animated smileys off to the side are putting a huge strain on the system, I guess. All the drivers are installed and the only third party driver I'm using is one from Synaptics for my touchpad. Everything else is Microsoft supplied. The CPU fan runs constantly.

Oh, speaking of which, god bless the fucking print spooler service. Microsoft supplied drivers for my networked Canon i860 and S600 printers seem to be hanging up the Print Spooler service, so every time I turn on the computer it eats up 100% CPU time until I go to the Services section and shut down the Print Spooler. Gee, I wonder how many end users are going to have that little problem?

And that's not even scratching the surface of the much publicized Content Protection schemes in Windows Vista. Tilt bits, anyone?
'87 Fiero GT, Automatic, 153... 156... 157... 158... 161k... 163k... 165k... 168k... SHIT I LOST COUNT
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

As far as IE7 is concerned, there were a few key features that were missing, preventing me from switching back from Firefox - the last time I tried switching to IE7, these got in the way...

* URL searches, like "google [blah]" and "image [blah]"
* Right click, View Image
* Right click, Copy Image Location
* Inline spell check (MSWord-style)
* Lack of menu bar which is driving me fucking insane.

I managed to knock the first three down with some tweaks. IE7Pro gives you some hidden settings like the URL search capability and some other assorted crap. There was another site I visited that enabled the Copy Image Location capability, I'll link it if anyone's interested. Finally, I modified that extension's code and came up with a makeshift View Image capability as well. It pops up in another window which is kinda annoying but I'm sure I can find a solution to that.

I still can't find a solution to the menu bar problem though... =(
'87 Fiero GT, Automatic, 153... 156... 157... 158... 161k... 163k... 165k... 168k... SHIT I LOST COUNT
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Is Vista actually released yet, or is it still beta? Nvermind... the release date is just the beginning of the public beta period.

I can't believe that they don't support IP anymore. What exactly does that mean? They can't possibly be trying to make every NIC on the planet obsolete? How does the system talk to the internet?
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

I'm sticking with XP for now

I'll wait until Vista doesn't suck, or when I desperately need DX10 :salute:

Hopefully they get that crap worked out, so right now it uses more resources and has less useful features than XP?

Awesome

Edit: Do you have nLite still? I can't seem to dl from their site :scratch:

NM, got a torrent
Last edited by Xanth on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

What are the specs on your hardware? 5200rpm hard disk isn't exactly fast.

i was doing office 2k7 compatibility testing yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. I've got a core2 duo, 2 gig of ram and a raptor raid though.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Yeah, 5200 rpm hd could actually be a significant bottleneck. Upgrading my brothers comp from a 5200 to a 7500 it made a noticeable difference. Also get rid of that gear-griding sound :thumbleft:
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

By no IP support I mean it has no IP over 1394 support - not TCP/IP (how else could I be here now?). That means it can no longer use a Firewire cable as a 400mbps LAN connection - I was very, very happy using my Firewire network in XP :(

The computer I'm using is a laptop with a 100gb 5200rpm hard drive. It pulls 30MB/s (32,000 ish KB/s) reading the beginning of the drive and about 15MB/s at the end - 20MB/s and 10MB/s writing, respectively. There's no sane reason why it couldn't keep up with that 2-4MB/s speed in uTorrent, especially since it worked fine in Windows XP. >.<

And no, it's not nLite, it's vLite, made by the same creator but very different. :P
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I wasn't referring to the downloading of the torrents but the usability of the entire system itself.

what CPU, graphics chipset/vram, and ram are you running?
Falcon4 wrote: The computer I'm using is a laptop with a 100gb 5200rpm hard drive. It pulls 30MB/s (32,000 ish KB/s) reading the beginning of the drive and about 15MB/s at the end - 20MB/s and 10MB/s writing, respectively. There's no sane reason why it couldn't keep up with that 2-4MB/s speed in uTorrent, especially since it worked fine in Windows XP. >.<
SappySE107

Post by SappySE107 »

Last edited by SappySE107 on Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Phelps
60Degreev6.com
WOT-Tech.com
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

SappySE107 wrote:how do you download 2 meg a sec?
100mbps LAN. I would be getting 15MB/s if IP over 1394 weren't removed.

My specs, if you are so exceedingly picky...
Gateway m505.
http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gat ... sp42.shtml
Bam.
1gb RAM, 64mb Mobility Radeon 9600, 1.4GHz Pentium-M, 100gb HDD, really kickass audio, 3x USB 2.0, SD card reader, 1280x800 screen, etc...
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I'm not picky, but I'm not going to let you slam software that you're not running the minimum recommended hardware for.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919183

To run aero right, you're going to need twice the vram that you are running.
Falcon4 wrote: My specs, if you are so exceedingly picky...
Gateway m505.
Bam.
1gb RAM, 64mb Mobility Radeon 9600, 1.4GHz Pentium-M, 100gb HDD, really kickass audio, 3x USB 2.0, SD card reader, 1280x800 screen, etc...
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Falcon4 wrote:
My specs, if you are so exceedingly picky...
Gateway m505.
Bam.
That is teh suck :la:

All those specs are rather poor, not to mention its the M :salute:

nLite was what I was looking for, I wanted to make a new XP install CD, not interested in Vista yet.
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

eHoward wrote:I'm not picky, but I'm not going to let you slam software that you're not running the minimum recommended hardware for.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919183

To run aero right, you're going to need twice the vram that you are running.
I think if you keep putting your quotes below your replies, my head is going to explode.

Anyway, the "upgrade advisor" told me everything was fine. The Pentium-M at 1.4GHz is actually faster than a Pentium 4 at 2GHz (and I have benchmarked it), runs cooler, longer, and even gives me more control (700MHz when I need the battery life). The specs on the page are kinda outdated - I've upgraded the HDD and wireless card (HDD to 100gb and card to 108a/b/g Atheros instead of shitty B Intel).

The video chip in this laptop has not yet failed to blow away any game I throw at it - a friend of mine is an Eve freak and he told me that of all the computers he's run it on, mine runs it the fastest of an Athlon 64, 2.4 Pentium 4, and Athlon XP 3200+, all with 128mb and higher GPUs. So don't dis. :P
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Falcon4 wrote:

The video chip in this laptop has not yet failed to blow away any game I throw at it - a friend of mine is an Eve freak and he told me that of all the computers he's run it on, mine runs it the fastest of an Athlon 64, 2.4 Pentium 4, and Athlon XP 3200+, all with 128mb and higher GPUs. So don't dis. :P
You must have a magical video card. (try turning up the resolution)
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

lol, i wasn't going to say anything just yet.

So will that Radeon 9600 take down my X850xt Platinum 8XAGP 256 DDr3?
:thumbleft:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Can't you run FOUR SLI cards in a dual AGP MB?

N/M... I'm thinking of the dual processor card in SLI configuration... FOUR GPU's...
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

crzyone wrote:You must have a magical video card. (try turning up the resolution)
It's a laptop. They run at 1280x800, no less. And the Athlon 64 was the same resolution... the other PCs were running 1024x768. My magical video card smoked them all. :p

BTW, I just reinstalled and got rid of the botched crack... the new numbers are in...

:D
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

Also found a much faster way to restore my crap.

Then recheck with uTorrent when it's done. This is rolling along twice as fast now. Gee, I wonder if Windows is causing the bottleneck in uTorrent? :P
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Falcon4 wrote:
crzyone wrote:You must have a magical video card. (try turning up the resolution)
It's a laptop. They run at 1280x800, no less. And the Athlon 64 was the same resolution... the other PCs were running 1024x768. My magical video card smoked them all. :p

BTW, I just reinstalled and got rid of the botched crack... the new numbers are in...

:D
What benchmark software is that? Or is that part of Vista? :scratch:
Falcon4

Post by Falcon4 »

It's part of Windows, the new Windows+Pause replacement.