pre 88 front suspension mods

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

pre 88 front suspension mods

Post by p8ntman442 »

I have a problem where my drivers side comes up 1" more than the passenger side. If I sit on the hood and get up slowly, they will be level, but If I pull up on the front end, the passenger side will settle 1" more than the drivers side. The car looks funny when parked, so I'd like to fix the front suspension up. I know it wont be a $200K lambo when Im done, but whats the best bang for the buck setup for an 86?

Currently I'm stock 86 setup with 130K on the body.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Sounds like your springs are shot. that or a combination of the springs and the shocks. Replacing those should cuer tht problem.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

People don't believe me when I say this, but 84-87 Fiero anti-sway bars are made with a slight twist so that the car sits level with a person's weight in the driver's seat.

Take loose your swaybar and see if the car sits level when parked.

Another thing you could try is putting the car's front wheels up on ramps and loosening, then retightening all the bushing bolts.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

Will, My car didnt always sit like this. If the sway bar has a twist, its to preload it, but shouldnt raise the drivers side 1" when unloaded.

I want to fix the uneven problem.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Have you done any work to the suspension? Did you tighten the bushing bolts with weight on wheels?

See if this helps:
Raise front of car on RAMPS.
Disconnect one end of sway bar.
Loosen all bushing/pivot bolts.
Retighten all bushing/pivot bolts.
Reconnect sway bar.

Spring sag is common in 60's/70's cars, but it's usually associated with leaf springs... and I haven't heard of it happening to a Fiero.
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

also, could be that the rubber spring pads might be shot, or that the spring isn't "clocked" correctly into the a-arm
A.K.A. Chicken McNizzle on Old Europe
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

since the rubber bushings are tightened down with the arms fully extended they twist and add some force to the suspension. if the passenger side is worn out or twisted lose then it would be gone on that side and ride a little lower.

i vote for a poly upgrade