lug nut locks

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

the-dude1

lug nut locks

Post by the-dude1 »

what can i use to remove the lug nut locks with out the key socket?? i was gonna torch-em but that would be a bad day for my rims :scratch:
the-dude1

Post by the-dude1 »

i was also thinking, would one of those gator grip sockets work? they have not been removed in about 4 years
Red

Post by Red »

Get another locking lug nut key (I think there were like 18 of them that GM used on the Fiero) and POUND it onto the nut you can't get loose. Helps if you can get another key that's similar to the one you have.

Or go to the GM dealer and borrow his collection of keys and sit in the parking lot trying each one until you find the one that matches.

If the lug nut is stripping, frozen or otherwise impossible to get off, you can drill out the stud. I had to do this before. It's time consuming but certainly saves your rim.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Buy a cheap 19mm 12 point socket and hammer it on. It'll destroy the socket, but it'll hold long enough to get locking lug nut off so you can replace it with a regular one.
<Insert Sig Here>
dratts

Post by dratts »

That was what I did when I bought a car that didn't have a lug nut key. It wasn't a cheap one and it didn't destroy it.
I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a prefrontal lobotomy
cactus bastard

Post by cactus bastard »

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they can look up which key you need by VIN #.
Why would you eat bad ice cream?
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

I just hammered on the tightest standard 6pt socket I could find from my impact set. Didn't hurt the socket (although it was fun removing the lug afterwards) at all.

Just don't expect to be able to use an impact gun, since it'll be more likely to round it off than loosen if the nut's at all frozen. I just used a breaker-bar and some muscle. :salute:
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
product1620

Post by product1620 »

I took mine to a local shop, they have sockets with teeth on them for removing stripped lug nuts, it should take them about five minutes. Oh and as far as the gator grip goes, don't waste your money, I bought two of those, one was like a centimeter too small, and the other was too big to fit on the lug nut, because it couldn't clear the wheel.
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
Weponhead

Post by Weponhead »

i pounded on a 12 pt socket too.. didnt hurt the socket and got all 4 locks off, i later found the key under a seat.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

We sell emergency lugnut removers, basically sockets with reverse threads on the inside. Just use an impact to drive them on and remove the lug.