couple quick questions

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Mr. Pat

couple quick questions

Post by Mr. Pat »

Ok, so I got my Fiero back on Friday. ANd I had a few questions that didnt get answered over at Old Europe......its been sitting for 3 yrs, and whenever I go over a bump it creaks like an old man. Is that just bad balljoints? the chassy not lubed?......also, its VERY hard to steer. I dont remember it being near this hard to turn when I had it last. 2 hands is hard, one is out of the question......and last one, the cam I want to install has some surface rust. Can I put it in a hot tank and install it, or is it fucked? Thanks for any input.
86 GT, LT1/4T60-E...slower than a crippled dog.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Probably your ball joints. I had a creaky front suspension in my Fiero, and when I greased the upper ball joints, water came out of the boot, shortly after the ball joint went bad.

Also, my work truck, a Dakota had a badly creaking front end, it would creak when you turned the wheels, and even when you got out of the truck, it was the lower ball joints.

Probably also why your steering is stiff. I would plan on replacing some ball joints in the near future.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

tire pressure sounds low for the steering. And most cams are had, and a little surface rust can be removed and then they can be installed with out issue.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I wouldn't tank the cam, though... try some 1,000-2,000 grit sandpaper or emory cloth.