who does that?

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

who does that?

Post by p8ntman442 »

Who uses two fuel pumps when 1 works fine?
Who makes a car where all 4 door handles break?
who makes an exhaust system with a cat, resonator, premuffler, and then muffler?
who uses wheel bolts instead of studs, so when it breaks you cant press it out of the rotor, you have to remove the rotor (getting out a small phillips screw that is rusted to peices) that holds the rotor on, and then drill and easy out the bolt?

V.W.
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

:salute: I hate wheel bolts so much... :cussing:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: who does that?

Post by crzyone »

p8ntman442 wrote:Who uses two fuel pumps when 1 works fine?
Who makes a car where all 4 door handles break?
who makes an exhaust system with a cat, resonator, premuffler, and then muffler?
who uses wheel bolts instead of studs, so when it breaks you cant press it out of the rotor, you have to remove the rotor (getting out a small phillips screw that is rusted to peices) that holds the rotor on, and then drill and easy out the bolt?

V.W.

German enginnering in da house ya

Ya
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

My friend has an 89 Jetta, and it uses air for the power door locks, and for the air lines, uses plastic, so they break when it is winter, and all your air is lost. They also mount the ECM in the wiper cowl on that model :scratch:
whipped

Post by whipped »

befarrer wrote:My friend has an 89 Jetta, and it uses air for the power door locks, and for the air lines, uses plastic, so they break when it is winter, and all your air is lost. They also mount the ECM in the wiper cowl on that model :scratch:
AHAHAHAH!

:thumbleft:
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

I really hate VW. My sisters 99' Jetta has endless problems with suspension creaks and sqeaks, the AC clutch bearing failed, and the whole car is basically falling apart. Never mind that my sister is the most destructive force known to man aside from the thermonuclear bomb, but the 91 Celica she crashed and beat on never had half the problems.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

no love for the central pneumatic pump locking system???? why you hatin?

My ecm is under the wiper cowel as well. Why there is an ecm I dont know, its mechanical fuel injection and a manual transmission. with an older dist. and vacume advance it would only need it to throw codes from the o2 sensor.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

A friend of mine is obsessed with VW, he drives a Golf Harlequin, sort of a clown-car looking thing.

Do they really have pneumatic door locks? :scratch:
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

p8ntman442 wrote:no love for the central pneumatic pump locking system???? why you hatin?

My ecm is under the wiper cowel as well. Why there is an ecm I dont know, its mechanical fuel injection and a manual transmission. with an older dist. and vacume advance it would only need it to throw codes from the o2 sensor.
I dont know why there is an ECM, on them, and I also dont know why they would put it in a spot that is supposed to channel water?

My friend ditched the above Jetta for an 85 Jetta turbo Diesel, it doesnt have the power locks or windows, or an ECM even. He only drives it because of the good gas mileage, just turned 400,000KM before he parked it.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

My brother is obsessed with VW. One of his older GTIs, mid 80s vintage, has the exhaust and intake on the same side of the head.... Guess they figured it was too easy to have the intake and exhaust on opposite sides of the head...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

A lot of old engines are not cross-flow (AMC I6, Chevy Stovebolt 6, early Iron Duck, etc). It actually worked out in the days of carbeurettors because the exhaust could warm the intake manifold and prevent fuel puddling...

However, engines for performance use pretty much need to be cross flow in order to not compromise the port geometry for either exhaust or intake.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

The chrysler 2.2 and 2.5L OHC used in the K cars were not crossflow either, the intake and exhaust were on the back of the head, made for easy servicing of stuff like the distributor and oil filter, the enging was tilted backwards too. But I would hate to work on one of those engines with a turbo, must be pretty tight there.

Also, all 4.0L I6 Jeep engines are not crossflow.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The 4.0 Jeeps fell under the AMC I6's...
You can stroke a 4.0 to 4.6 with an AMC 258 crank...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

My friend/roommate drive a '95 Golf VR6. He's a VW nut. I forwarded him this thread...

VW built a concept car a year or so ago that was a 1900# mid engine roadster with TDI power... 130 HP from a 1.5 litre TDI. That car would have been a blast to drive and gotten 50 MPG... but it's gone the way of the Fiero and dodo bird.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

My friend has a Scirocco (sp?) that he's obsessed with, I should see if he has any good stories. I remember that the engine mounts were several types of retarded when I helped him put a new one in.
<Insert Sig Here>
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

From what I've heard, VW powertrains & chassis are every bit as plug/play as GM's and Honda's, if not moreso...
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

From working on my bro's Golf, I'd say that it's modular--but NOT plug-n-play. What a pain in the ass to do anything serious to.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Starlite528

Post by Starlite528 »

befarrer wrote:The chrysler 2.2 and 2.5L OHC used in the K cars were not crossflow either, the intake and exhaust were on the back of the head, made for easy servicing of stuff like the distributor and oil filter, the enging was tilted backwards too. But I would hate to work on one of those engines with a turbo, must be pretty tight there.
My first car was an 85 Lebaron. Vinyl top and pleather seats were in excellent condition, but at the end it leaked out about a quart of transmission fluid every day.
Despite millions of dollars in research, Death continues to be our nations number one killer.
Henry Gibson - Kentucky Fried Movie.

http://www.lordshadowstar.com
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

befarrer wrote:The chrysler 2.2 and 2.5L OHC used in the K cars were not crossflow either, the intake and exhaust were on the back of the head, made for easy servicing of stuff like the distributor and oil filter, the enging was tilted backwards too. But I would hate to work on one of those engines with a turbo, must be pretty tight there.

Also, all 4.0L I6 Jeep engines are not crossflow.
A guy I knew in Pensacola had built a turbo 2.4 entirely out of production Chrysler parts... he was ALL OVER the parts bin. He had it in a Neon and was tearing up local drag strips with it. Rumor had it that some Chrysler engineers came and talked to him about it... ~6 months later the SRT-4 comes out...

The Chrysler TC by Maserati was a FWD car (available with the Getrag 284!) that used a turbo Chrysler 2.2 topped off with a twin cam 16V Maserati designed cylinder head. It was sweet. I've been thinking for a while that that combo would be a sweet engine for a kit car... an actual Maser powerplant...

There was also a Lotus designed 16V head for the Chrysler 2.2, but I don't know what used it...
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
There was also a Lotus designed 16V head for the Chrysler 2.2, but I don't know what used it...
I have heard that the 2.0L neon DOHC cam uses a head that is very close to the lotus head for the 2.2, just some tweaking, the lotus heads used to crack badly.