Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Not bad I guess. Its no 383 sbc fiero but whatever

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/2157090
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Holy turbo-lag batman!

Awesome numbers though. :thumbleft:
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

It's like a Supra. Supras are coool.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
S8n

Post by S8n »

Wow. That would suck so bad to drive on the street....Unfortunately, most Supras are dyno-queens these days.
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

It would probably act like a normal 4 cylinder car on the street until you put your foot down. Thats the beauty of turbochargers.

If it has really wild cams it might not be very streetable though...
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote:It would probably act like a normal 4 cylinder car on the street until you put your foot down. Thats the beauty of turbochargers.

If it has really wild cams it might not be very streetable though...
A normal 4 cylinder, Honda S2000 style. Turbochargers still lag, and especially on a 8000+ RPM motor. Although turboes don't affect low end all that much (The LS1s lose around 20-30wtq before spool), they do lose torque. And while on a 300+ tq LS1 it isn't such a big deal, especially when you'll have 550hp in a few hundred RPM, losing 20-30wtq on a 100tq 8000rpm engine is quite a blow. Now of course it won't be that severe, I'd expect ~10wtq, it's still noticeable, especially on a car already plagued by the lack of torque.

That engine would suck on the street. It doesn't outperform a stock 3.4 DOHC until 5,000rpm. And at 4,000, it's barely making about half the wtq of a stock 3.4 DOHC at the same RPM. In a 1,000lb go cart? Fucking awesome. In a ~3,000lb car? I'd rather a 5.7 TPI.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

S8n wrote:Wow. That would suck so bad to drive on the street....Unfortunately, most Supras are dyno-queens these days.
Would act just like normal on the street. Would drive just like normal on the street.

Thats like putting a turbo on a bone stock 2.8 and then saying that it must be horrible to drive on the street because of the lag. I mean come on.

It takes 2 seconds to go from 3k to 5k rpm.

In a car with really short gears, being a little lower on tq then a stock motor is not a big deal.

And its not so much the power, its the fact that its a bone stock motor!!!!!
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Thats amazing that its making that kind of power on stock internals, especially sleves. Must be one hell of a tuner.

The drivability of that car is subjective. On a 1/4 mile track you will spool the turbo before launch. On the road you will drop a few gears and race from a roll, minimal lag. The car is definitly not an auto x car with a powerband like that, maybe a road course where you can keep the rpm high.

It will get around just fine when its not in boost, might be a little gutless but it won't be that bad.

I bet that car won't get traction until 3rd gear, maybe 4th
S8n

Post by S8n »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:
S8n wrote:Wow. That would suck so bad to drive on the street....Unfortunately, most Supras are dyno-queens these days.
Would act just like normal on the street. Would drive just like normal on the street.

Thats like putting a turbo on a bone stock 2.8 and then saying that it must be horrible to drive on the street because of the lag. I mean come on.

It takes 2 seconds to go from 3k to 5k rpm.

In a car with really short gears, being a little lower on tq then a stock motor is not a big deal.

And its not so much the power, its the fact that its a bone stock motor!!!!!
Exactly, it would act just like normal till 5k rpm. It would mean all that work doesn't do shit till you rev the piss out of it. And that graph is at WOT, boost would be non-existant for another 1-2k rpm at part throttle. And when you are driving at WOT, your passenger can go and grab a cup of coffee while waiting for boost. When the boost does kick in, you smoke the shit out of the front tires. That car shows what not to do when sizing your turbo to your engine. Looks good on a dyno though. Oh, and i'd be surprised if that motor would survive on the street, since a Dynojet doesn't put the same type of load on a car as real driving.
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

There is no load when you are spinning the tires.

Lag isn't a big deal. Its simple to overcome. You downshift. Thats what I do. Haven't had a big problem with lag on my setup.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Its hard to know how it will drive until you see it on the road.

You could use a small shot of nitrous to get the turbo spooling. There are a lot of options if you want better low rpm power.

You can use a misfiring system to keep the turbo spooled between shifts.

The car could be tuned beyond what you see on the dyno.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

What's all the fuss about? It's a small engine/big turbo power curve. If you set a Gen III/IV V8 up with a turbo sized relatively the same way (and it was built to rev to 8+), you'd get the same curve, just with bigger numbers.

I actually think that's a very smooth curve for such a strung out engine. Supra curves usually look worse (150 HP at 4000 RPM, 550 HP at 5000 RPM).

And I'm with Shaun... the fact that it's a stock 2.0 long block is crazy.
Has anyone played with the K24 out of a CRV yet?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Maybe I should turbocharge my parents' Element while they're not looking...