Anyone donate plasma?

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Unsafe At Any Speed

Anyone donate plasma?

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

I've been doing it the last few weeks. I figure why not? It helps people out and I get paid for my time so it's pretty much win-win. It really doesn't take very long either. I think the last few times I was in and out the door in about an hour and fifteen minutes.
Dirty Sanchez

Re: Anyone donate plasma?

Post by Dirty Sanchez »

I hate needles, so you won't catch me there.
I treat others as they treat me
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

I donate blood all the time, and plasma every once in a blue moon. We have blood drives on campus once every month. The plasma collection really drained me last time, so I'm not the biggest fan. But I like helping people out, so I plan on another soon.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

Unsafe At Any Speed wrote:I've been doing it the last few weeks. I figure why not? It helps people out and I get paid for my time so it's pretty much win-win. It really doesn't take very long either. I think the last few times I was in and out the door in about an hour and fifteen minutes.

It also helps corporations out, I'm sure hospitals make a fortune off of it. When the country moves toward uni-care I will feel obligated, hell, I'll post the donation slips. Unilt then, no thanks.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

How much do you get for donating blood or plasma? We don't get paid in Canada, they go on drives and people donate it.
Unsafe At Any Speed

You don't get paid for blood around here, but for plasma you can go twice a week. $20 and $40 for the first and second times, respectively. To pay you they give you a debit card and then each time you go more money is automatically loaded onto it. The whole process is pretty streamlined. This is with BioLife btw.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

crzyone wrote:How much do you get for donating blood or plasma? We don't get paid in Canada, they go on drives and people donate it.

That's how it should be, the government provides medical insurance, the people chip in to help each other with blood donation, what a nice system.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

Unsafe At Any Speed wrote:You don't get paid for blood around here, but for plasma you can go twice a week. $20 and $40 for the first and second times, respectively. To pay you they give you a debit card and then each time you go more money is automatically loaded onto it. The whole process is pretty streamlined. This is with BioLife btw.

Isn't plasma donation where they hook you up and screen your platelets out? Don't they actually screen most of your blood, but not take any fluid, just platelets? I've heard that leaves you anemic feeling.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

EBSB52 wrote: It also helps corporations out, I'm sure hospitals make a fortune off of it. When the country moves toward uni-care I will feel obligated, hell, I'll post the donation slips. Unilt then, no thanks.
This statement really bugs me. At what point, will you realize, that in order for the system to serve you, you must first serve the system? I generally don't argue any politics on this forum, because I don't know enough, and that you'll never change your mind anyways.

But Government I know. And I know, that you can bitch and bitch and bitch, and it won't do any good. It takes actions. You won't do any good ranting on the forum every other day, because tomorrow, it'll be the exact same as it was today and the day before. But if you spent half the time you do talking shit about this country actually trying to help it, and people followed suit, maybe it'd change something. I don't expect you to reform the healthcare system, but donating a half hour of your time may just save the life of the man who can. In today's age the ordinary citizen is left pretty powerless. But you sitting back and talking shit isn't doing much good. So why not donate your time to something productive? Maybe lead a Boy Scout Troop, maybe clean the streets, maybe do anything productive and good for society, and stop expecting the Government to do it all for you. It's time you stop blaming the Government for your misfortune or inadequacies.

"No Government can give anything to anybody without first taking it from another. Government is, by very nature, legalized taking."
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Unsafe At Any Speed

For plasma donation, the machine pumps out your blood, filters out the plasma and pumps the rest back in. It cycles like this about ten times until you're finished. I've heard some people really feel like shit afterward, but I've been fine. As long as you're well hydrated and have a lot of protein in your regular diet, you should be fine. The only thing I've noticed is you get drunk way faster if you drink afterward...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:"No Government can give anything to anybody without first taking it from another. Government is, by very nature, legalized taking."
Nice quote. Attribution?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I tried donating plasma once. My initial trip took over two hours with check in and setup. I imagine it could come down to an hour door to door, but the nearest donation point is 1/2 hour each way out of my way and I'd have to donate 2-3 times a week to get the max payoff. It's not worth my time or the holes in my arms.

I do donate blood as often as I'm allowed, however. I was even deferred for a year thanks to a (work-related) trip to French Guyana in '07.

The red cross also got in touch with me about donating platelets. I apparently have good platelets. I think that will probably fall under the same umbrella as plasma in being more trouble than I care to put into it. I can see donating platelets once per blood donation.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Nice quote. Attribution?
Who cares? I put it in quotes, clearly it isn't my own.

But if you must continue to try and embarrass me, it's from David Lane's 88 Precepts. Although the entire 'article' isn't exactly politically correct, there are a few that make sense and would benefit society if applied. I also misquoted the sentence slightly.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

This statement really bugs me. At what point, will you realize, that in order for the system to serve you, you must first serve the system?

IS this a neo-version to JFK's, "Ask not what your country can do for you" speech? I see, and I served in the military, I'm thinking you haven't, I've worked on a good few of the military acft flying today, probably will in the future and yet you say I have to keep doing more huh? Actually read what you write and you might feel differently. I think we should all do our part, but I have I get the giant turd. Should I keep trying it your way until I'm dead at 77 and then say, well, I tried, but I made people into millionaires via my hard work, so that's all that counts. Kid, you seem like a nice guy, I wonder about your worldliness.

I generally don't argue any politics on this forum, because I don't know enough, and that you'll never change your mind anyways.

Nor do I want to change your mind. Just like driving, flying, hitting a ball, no one can teach you anything, they just show you new techniques and you teach yourself.

But Government I know.

What do you know about gov? I kinda doubt that. What do you know about being late 40's? Really nothing, just as I know nothing about being 50's, 60's, etc. I do know about being a 20 someting kid when even at worst, you generally have great health and have probably given very little to the country/world as of yet. Ever wonder why our president must be at least 35 yo? And remember, that was drafted in 1787 when a 35 YO was an old and wise man, probably equal to at leasta 50yo man today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Constitution Artcle 2. I think if we sat down you might not know as much about the gov as you think. I'm positive you don't know that much about life and the trials of it.

And I know, that you can bitch and bitch and bitch, and it won't do any good.

Like those silly Europeans? They bitch they get it, pussies in the US just lay down and call themselves tough.
It takes actions.

Yes, like picketing, labor organizing, petitions, etc. I do that, I'm for that, and yet the average AMerican calls that being a whiner. See, the elite have controlled the idiots with that rhetoric that if they whine about anything they are being a pussy. The elite spend millions of dollars teaching employers how to bust unions and to seperate individuals that could have an impact on the masses. As lomg as we stand alone and divided the gov can pick us off, stand united as the pussy Europeans and we are invincible. You're a cop, so I don't think you get it, that is not taught in your brainwashing in the academy.

You won't do any good ranting on the forum every other day, because tomorrow, it'll be the exact same as it was today and the day before. But if you spent half the time you do talking shit about this country actually trying to help it, and people followed suit, maybe it'd change something.

Kid, I appreciate the idealism, but I've tried. I tried to organine a union at Boeing in Arizona and my tires were cut, bad shit happened and all the other pussy Americans ran for their asses. If you think for a second I'm a stand here and type away guy, you really don't get me. In Nazimerica, you have choices if you want to make a change:

1) Petition, vote, educate yourself, legislate, etc

2) Go stupid and radical with AK

3) Whine

The first the opposition hates, and this is effective. The second the opposition loves and they act like they care about the dead, but they don't and just wave them around to further oppressive actions. The third no one cares about. Oppressors, like teh US gov and the Republican right, have their agenda to shift the money to the top. All they need is a handfull of idiots to jkeep them in office and to spread the fear around about the pathetic Russian potential, the Chinese, etc. Scare people about uni-care, etc. They've had this, now enough people have figured out that this is BS.

I don't expect you to reform the healthcare system, but donating a half hour of your time may just save the life of the man who can.

This is sugarcoated BS. The reform to have all Ameicans have healthcare IS a war, like it or not and to passively say, "Oh well, just help people as you live with your injuries" is passive BS. If I were just a whiner I would go along this; I'm not, I'm a fighter and I won't give until they do. You're advocating a passive approach, I'm just not passive.

In today's age the ordinary citizen is left pretty powerless.

Only because they are passive and pathetic. They are only empowered if they stick together.

But you sitting back and talking shit isn't doing much good.

That's why I do much more than talk shit. Freeway photocams, I belong to the active group adverse to this BS. I have voted ever since I was 18 and in every election. I'm pro-union, have been a union organizer. Not sure what you're talking about, not sure that you understand eiter.
So why not donate your time to something productive?

I do, look above and you'll see example after another.

Maybe lead a Boy Scout Troop, maybe clean the streets, maybe do anything productive and good for society, and stop expecting the Government to do it all for you.

Do it all for me? Look at what I have done for my gov with little in return. All I'm asking for is a comprehensive healthcare plan such as Canada's, not that much to ask for. I'm not talking elective surgeries, just needed ones. For a kid like you to be telling a guy like me that has served in the military, worked on military acft much of my like and paid taxes all these years, I can't help but to be a little offended and I'm extremely thick-skinned. Don't worry, I just got over it.

It's time you stop blaming the Government for your misfortune or inadequacies.

How am I inadequate, squirrel? Little boy, I even with my injuries I could probably outdo you at most things and because I'm not a good little soldier for the local cops like you, now I'm inadequate. I say fuck you and all who need blood, this is a fight about this country becoming normal and ensuring basic healthcare for all of its citizens. You can't even think about walking a mile in my shoes, kid.

"No Government can give anything to anybody without first taking it from another. Government is, by very nature, legalized taking."

We have been a debtor nation since our inception, that is so very brilliant of you to notice that we have always for >200 years been about taking from future generations and ALWAYS WILL. So since this process of allegedly taking from another is the entirety, get used to it. I doubt you cried too much when your guy took 5 trillion and gave ot to the rich. Oh, it was for the war? About 17% was, but the rest was in tax cuts for the rich, as we don't pay taxes, only the rich do and when they have their puppet in charge by getting enough ignorant asswipes to elect him, they don't pay much in taxes either.

Funny how you claim to know nothing about politics, but a lot about the government.....aren't they essentially irretrievably intertwined?

About the entire issue of blood donation, think of it this way because that is the way it is: Healthcare is a luxury in the US, it is exclusive. Don’t think for a second because I don’t have it that I’m jealous of those who do, as most have such pathetic coverer age that it is catastrophe insurance and anything <5K, 10K is not covered or has HUGE deductibles. With that, why should I voluntarily participate in a healthcare system that indiscriminately omits me? 1 more time, answer that; healthcare exclusive, blood donation exclusive too, it’s real simple. Healthcare mandatory for all citizens, blood donation mandatory as well. This is not rocket science, kid. I think military service should be compulsory too, so some of these pussy druggies of today could become men.

Here’s a clue for you. A POS like McVeigh who blew up the gov building in OK City, he understood a few things about the gov that people who do not serve don’t know. Again, may his ass rot in hell, he did totally the wrong thing from start to finish as well as that fuck Nichols, but he understood things you probably never will and I will only understand in concept. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_McVeigh

McVeigh was a decorated Gulf War soldier who returned as an Army-trained killer. He learned to shut off his emotions and to carry out the mission w/o emotion with whatever “collateral damages” that may happen. He was sparked by the Wako siege where the US gov reportedly ignited the Branch Dividian’s compound, killing many people including kids. So 2 years later he blew up the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building, killing many people, including kids. He referred to his killing of these people as collateral damage. He was acting toward the US gov the way the US gov directed him to act to other people. This is inherently delusional as he abhorred the US gov doing the same acts he did to others, somehow justifying it.

He was largely confused, he was an extreme conservative, left Buffalo due to it being too liberal, yet advocated the government stop being so tyrannical and more peaceful, clearly liberal agendas……

After leaving the Army in 1992, McVeigh grew increasingly transient. At first he worked briefly near his hometown of Pendleton as a security guard, where he sounded off daily to his co-worker Carl Lebron, Jr. about his loathing for government. Deciding the Buffalo area was too liberal, he left his job and began driving around America, seeking out his old friends from the Army.

And…

McVeigh wrote letters to local newspapers, complaining about taxes

“Taxes are a joke. Regardless of what a political candidate "promises," they will increase. More taxes are always the answer to government mismanagement. They mess up. We suffer. Taxes are reaching cataclysmic levels, with no slowdown in sight ... Is a Civil War Imminent? Do we have to shed blood to reform the current system? I hope it doesn't come to that. But it might.”

He deluded here for 2 major reasons:

1) Taxes are less here than most/all other developed nations
2) The Republicans don’t raise taxes, they lower them, which is why we are in bad shape; too much class disparity.

Ironically, he was a Registered Republican, NRA member for which he later dropped as he felt they were too weak, and a self-proclaimed Libertarian……kind of describes some members of this forum, huh?

Anyway, the point I’m making, I draw this parallel to you by you saying to just give it all to the country, be damned to yourself. Peaceful dissent is what this country is about and has been about and for you to tell me to, “Just, aw shucks, it won’t hurt a bit, you don’t need healthcare, just give to those who have that luxury” I respond by saying that when you actually grow up and have some life experiences, you might understand.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

Unsafe At Any Speed wrote:For plasma donation, the machine pumps out your blood, filters out the plasma and pumps the rest back in. It cycles like this about ten times until you're finished. I've heard some people really feel like shit afterward, but I've been fine. As long as you're well hydrated and have a lot of protein in your regular diet, you should be fine. The only thing I've noticed is you get drunk way faster if you drink afterward...

Is there any fear of infection? Seems like there would be. How long till your plasma builds back up?
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
retard wrote:"No Government can give anything to anybody without first taking it from another. Government is, by very nature, legalized taking."
Nice quote. Attribution?

Rush Limbaugh or some other radical RW maggot. The idiocy behind that quote is that the US founded as a debtor nation, so that is the norm. It will never change and to assert that the taxation process to determine who pays what and the spending process are in any way correlated is pure idiocy. The exception to this are the veru bond measures for roads, stadiums, etc. For military and social spending, they simply spend what they want and put it on the credit card. Yes Will, that includes your paycheck.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

Aaron wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Nice quote. Attribution?
Who cares? I put it in quotes, clearly it isn't my own.

But if you must continue to try and embarrass me, it's from David Lane's 88 Precepts. Although the entire 'article' isn't exactly politically correct, there are a few that make sense and would benefit society if applied. I also misquoted the sentence slightly.
I also misquoted the sentence slightly.
And you say you're not a neo-con..... welcome to the club.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Oh my ... fucking.... god.. You're a faggot. That is how I know you're gay. Old fool.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

Emc209i wrote:Oh my ... fucking.... god.. You're a faggot. That is how I know you're gay. Old fool.

The sad thing is I can probably outdo you at virtually everything. Look at all the threads you've posted in, you bring nothing, no data, no evidence, but are relegated to age. I had punk boys likeyou calling me old when I was 30, they were the brothers of some 22 yo chick I was trying to boink, so idiocy will follow everywhere.
Unsafe At Any Speed

I just scanned most of that, but I totally disagree on forced military service. That's a large part of what makes ours that great is that it's a volunteer service. Way better that way IMO.