3800 Rebuild

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

CincinnatiFiero

Re: 3800 Maiden Voyage, and the list of bugs.

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Went ahead and bought the rims. They'll be here in like 2-3 weeks, its my buddy at Purdue so I told him I could wait until he comes home for summer.

Also went ahead and bought some felpro exhaust manifold gaskets so I can go ahead and port my exhaust manifolds up, and I am going to heatwrap my crossover.

Found 100% Synthetic DexVI for $2.99 a quart which is the same price as wallyworld Dex3 so I am going to go ahead and do the switch over.
CincinnatiFiero

Try again on the coils, eliminate the flapping

Got the GTP axle in, it fits, but close, hopefully it works.

Ever seen a shock this bad?

Can you beleive I was able to stop on these? Being sent out to get cut into hubs

Snapped a pic of each spark plug, AC #14 Iridiums, 1000 miles on them, look good to me

Put on my Pep Boys "Stock" fitting wires, lots of slack, but I like the fact that I don't have to cut them and risk doing it wrong. Do you think this extra slack will give me any problems? I am going to throw some looms on there to pretty it up.

This broke, sweet!

As she sits

This had me laughing today, its by the alarm
CincinnatiFiero

Okay so I am porting my exhaust manifolds. Got some questions, what kind of stones should I use to grind down the welds and port the cast front manifold? I was going to use a die grinder to do it.

Also, how can I weld the rear manifold and prevent it from warping?
CincinnatiFiero

Stopping is on the way, the first parts to arrive
CincinnatiFiero

Was all pumped to put my motor in today.. then I realized I sent my hubs to Virginia to get them cut for my brake conversion so I don't have front rims on the car, so I couldn't tip the car forward to slide the cradle in. Instead I re-torqued half the motor, last time I didn't have a torque wrench, so I got them "tight," now its perfect.

Decided to not port the headers, I am going to buy full SS headers later on, wasn't worth trying to not warp them and grind them for 2hp when the full headers aren't TOO far off. Hit them with some flat black high temp and put some new gaskets under them

While re torquing the fuel rail I broke one of the studs, with 4 of 5 in do you think I am okay or do I need to pull it all back apart and try to ez out it. And I lost my little easy out haha.

Cut off the coolant tubes and NPT tapped them

Worked on the trunk today, started with a 65 Mustang Door skin, the air shears are now my favorite tool

Start:
Some trimming
Fit 1
Try again
Closer
The plan is to rivet it in, use automotive seam sealer to fill all the edges, then spray the whole trunk in rattle can rubberized bed liner, car won't ever haul much, just keep my battery clean and maybe hold miscellaneous crap. It will be nice to have some convenience, haul tools or some crap to the track, so I can have a friend up front with me.

As she sits today, didn't get it in, but we are definitely getting close, as time and money permits.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I wouldn't worry about the fuel line, it's not going anywhere. Just make sure the injector closest to it doesn't leak (I doubt it will).
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
CincinnatiFiero

So here is my shot at a coolant elbow and my high point fill. Yeah they are ugly buy I have roughly a whole $5.50 in this project, so we'll see. The earls elbow alone was $40 shipped.

CincinnatiFiero

Had to drop by the warehouse to move a car so I threw the coolant elbows on to test fit them, I still need to pipe dope them
CincinnatiFiero

Leppy_89 came down to bring me a set of hubs and help me get the motor in, shes in for the most part, I need to swap back to the shorter fiero 5speed axle on the passenger side, the GTP still isn't going to work. The motor isn't crooked anymore and it is further left, but its just not going to fit the GTP shaft.
Its in!
Good amount of room around the belts, intense should have no problem popping on my 3.4
Ithink my $5.50 worked great
Route the wiring away, upper motor mount in, its just an L with a rubber bushing
The wires are to the C500, they will be routed under the coils, but this is the only pic I have. The coils tuck under there nicely, I can remove the bracket with the motor in the car to service the coils. A little worried about water on them, but my decklid has the rubber thing on the front, and I'll be liberal with my dialectric grease to keep moisture out
With that green hose gone and some paint touch ups, it looks pretty presentable to me
The front shocks are being a beotch. Had to cut the drivers side out, the bolt is seizing to the sleeve in the bushing, its like the cradle ALL OVER AGAIN! I will have to cut this one out too and buy new bolts.
Nice combo of new pretty stuff against ugly rusty crap haha
As we left her

Still need to
get the front shocks in,
hook up lines,
hook up the wiring,
drop the trans pan,
install shift kit and fix the piece I put in upside down,
change the CV,
get brakes for the front,
pick up my enkeis,
try to pull the dent out of the roof so my sunroof sits flush,
build the trunk,
build my new exhaust,
put an audio setup together,
build an intake,
find out whats up with my HIDs (probably put them on the 88),
buy a thousand quarts of ATF,

And probably other crap,
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Good progress, keep it up...
CincinnatiFiero

The problem is I can only get into the warehouse once a week, if it was like the summer when I could work on my car daily the going would be much faster. But I think I have talked my buddy into restoring one of his Morgans there, so maybe he will be there more frequently during the week when school lets out. Was hoping to get in today too but I gotta run up to Columbus for a family brunch, epic fail.
BC2002SS

Post by BC2002SS »

CincinnatiFiero wrote: The plan is to rivet it in, use automotive seam sealer to fill all the edges, then spray the whole trunk in rattle can rubberized bed liner, car won't ever haul much, just keep my battery clean and maybe hold miscellaneous crap. It will be nice to have some convenience, haul tools or some crap to the track, so I can have a friend up front with me.
if your carpet is in good shape you can cut and fold to make it look good
2002 Camaro SS
1986 Fiero GT 3800SC 4T65E-HD
slp 1.8 rockers, slp headers, northstar throttle body, Z06 MAF,3.3" pulley,160 drilled stat,
12" Corvette brakes
1.81 60' 13.004 @102
new best 1.939 60' 12.909 @ 104.50
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

That fill point is a great idea, you're going to love yourself for it. Takes me about 5 minutes to fully fill the system with no burping/bleeding, etc ever needed. Just don't break or strip the bleed screw in the thermostat housing, lol.
CincinnatiFiero

My carpet was kind of rusty and narsty so I pitched it when I moved. I bet I can get a nice black trunk from my buddy though.

Right now I am actually thinking about putting my battery in the stock location as opposed to the trunk, I cut the battery box out so it will be a custom job, but I'd rather have a more open trunk. Not decided though.

Yeah I had a remote fill like that before, it was just a heater hose with a plug in it, I blew the plug out on my way to school one morning, and coated an onramp in coolant, this should seal much better.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Is that a CPU cooler T line?! LOL
CincinnatiFiero

Emc209i wrote:Is that a CPU cooler T line?! LOL
UV reactive at that bitch. Its the EVAP purge tube.
CincinnatiFiero

Cock blocked by mothers day... So no updates this week. I have a week off of school coming up soon, hopefully I will be able to get in the warehouse during the week and bang this bitch out.

Steering question, I noticed the steering in the this car and on my 88 is a bit loose. Someone told me it might be the steering stabilizer? Does the stabilizer have anything to do with the firmness of the steering? $31 shipped from amazon, may not be a terrible idea.

Also, I need to vent my hood, topped out my 88GT and ~125 and all that nose lift is a pants shitting experience. Anyone got pics/info on a simple hood vent? Budget is tight and I've never glassed before.

Spoilers... I have a spoiler and a non spoiler decklid, cannot decide what I want, so I think I will just have both painted. Is there any aerodynamic merit to the stock spoiler?
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

CincinnatiFiero wrote: Spoilers... I have a spoiler and a non spoiler decklid, cannot decide what I want, so I think I will just have both painted. Is there any aerodynamic merit to the stock spoiler?
I believe it's either 100lbs of downforce at 120mph or 120lbs at 100mph. Either way, it's not a whole lot and the spoiler is mostly for show.
CincinnatiFiero

Well I can't imagine the c/d will change much either. Yeah, I'll just get both painted when the day comes.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The whale-tail spoiler is of actual aerodynamic benefit. The production spoiler is good for .01 reduction in Cd and zero downforce.